Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ's geographical pointers in The Desolation of Smaug

Arandir
Rohan

Apr 30 2013, 9:45am

Views: 1018
Shortcut
PJ's geographical pointers in The Desolation of Smaug Can't Post

To many people unfamiliar with Middle-earth and its key locations in Tolkien's stories, these films' various locations might seem disorienting and undermine the appreciation and understanding of the story: where is Mirkwood? And where does Radagast live? What about Dol Guldur? Where is the Carrock in relation to all this ... etc, etc

True, we've already seen a glimpse of a 'map' in the prologue when an older Bilbo is writing his book and the camera sweeps away from the Shire and east towards Dale - but it's perhaps too quick and not really specific.

I remember watching the behind-the-scenes feature of TTT and how PJ utilized a scene (a fantastic scene, btw) between Faramir and (Mablung?) to view a map of Middle-earth and 'indirectly' point out the main geographical locations that had been mentioned throughout the film, so that the general audience could understand better where everything was in relation to everything else - helping to give an overall picture of where each character and event is taking place.

I was thinking that, considering the amount of new places to be featured in 'The Hobbit', that PJ may decide to do yet another 'map scene' in DOS - perhaps at Beorn's house or Thranduil's Halls?

Any guesses?

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

Subject User Time
PJ's geographical pointers in The Desolation of Smaug Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Apr 30 2013, 9:45am
    I do not really see in which scene this should happen. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 30 2013, 9:54am
    Bilbo looking on a map would be logical Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Apr 30 2013, 10:09am
        What was also important in TTT... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 30 2013, 11:09am
            Yes! Maps was one of Tolkien's innovations... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Apr 30 2013, 12:27pm
                Very true Rostron2 Send a private message to Rostron2 Apr 30 2013, 3:55pm
                    "where are we going?" There&ThereAgain Send a private message to There&ThereAgain Apr 30 2013, 9:55pm
    Interesting idea, cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Apr 30 2013, 10:01pm
    I feel like the casual audience... LordotRings93 Send a private message to LordotRings93 Apr 30 2013, 11:33pm
    I don't think it matters to some moviegoers Fredeghar Wayfarer Send a private message to Fredeghar Wayfarer May 1 2013, 12:07am
    I would have liked to have seen a different map Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen May 1 2013, 8:48pm
        How is Thizz Idea? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil May 2 2013, 12:36am
            I would love to see all kinds of maps, so yes! Eruonen Send a private message to Eruonen May 2 2013, 1:46am
                Tolkien's maps are half the reason i fell in love sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio May 2 2013, 1:21pm
                    Me too! / Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone May 2 2013, 8:59pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.