Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Australia delivers with Richard Armitage interview about 'Hobbit' as home video released

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 30 2013, 2:38am

Views: 551
Shortcut
Australia delivers with Richard Armitage interview about 'Hobbit' as home video released Can't Post

The lead actors in "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," have done a lot of press so far to support the first of three films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's book. Over and over journalists from around the world hit them with similar questions, all trying to deliver key information for their own audience. TORn friend and Australian film writer Alice Tynan had her shot at Richard Armitage, and wow did she deliver. Their lengthy chat contains some gems such as:

"Yes in the book there are losses; they sustain huge losses. You know Tolkien wrote these books based on his experiences of World War I, and he lost a lot of his friends in those wars. I think taking time to really understand his characters in Bag End was really important. . . . But I think we've become quite impatient in the cinema. Gone are the days when you'd sit through 3 hours of Gone With the Wind, and it's a shame because it's the director's prerogative to tell the story that he wants to tell. But I found myself engaged from beginning to end; I find all of the characters fascinating."

And this:

"Years ago I had visited the memorial museum in Hiroshima and I'd seen what happened, and I had a book, and I took it to New Zealand with me. And, I don't know, just looking at pictures and getting ideas, because it's all about sensation: just remembering what that fear was, because we were going to go shoot it. So you just have little flashes: I remember seeing a melted bicycle, and I remember thinking, "Oh yeah, the melted bicycle. A child sat on that bike." So this is what happened at Erebor: there were women and children there that just got annihilated. I wanted to feel the fear for them."

They cover a variety of topics including discussion of Tolkien, Peter Jackson and New Zealand. Fans of the actor, the films and the books will all likely appreciate the first installment of the interview while fans in New Zealand and Australia finally get the movie on home video. We will post part two when Tynan does, apparently consisting of Twitter questions. She was also clever enough to embed our own video of Dwarves singing in Bag End, a great way to capture emotion from the film again if you follow the link.

You can find the whole story if you click right here and we recommend you do.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 30 2013, 9:15am)

Subject User Time
Australia delivers with Richard Armitage interview about 'Hobbit' as home video released News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Apr 30 2013, 2:38am
    Great interview many thanks! Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Apr 30 2013, 8:29am
    "They sustain huge losses". ShireHorse Send a private message to ShireHorse Apr 30 2013, 12:59pm
    Thanks for this!... Elven Send a private message to Elven Apr 30 2013, 2:44pm
    I always love RA's interviews! Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Apr 30 2013, 3:49pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.