The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
A LotR inspired book I'm writing

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

Apr 30 2013, 1:31am

Post #1 of 21 (2215 views)
Shortcut
A LotR inspired book I'm writing Can't Post

Hey so after I read The Hobbit and some of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring I picked up a bit of experience. So I decided to write a novel of my own.

Now normally I'm the type of guy who can look back at his stuff and say 'Dear lord did I do that?!' and I can honestly say that this is turning out to be a good book.

I'd really like someone to read it and give me some feedback from a neutral perspective. So far I have a forward, a prolougue, and chapter I. The prolougue and chapter I have the story, the forward is all of the lore I've created.

The forward is still being added to, but the others are pretty much done. Thanks so much if you check it out!

Forward: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?81oh4qawsre3hs2
Prolougue: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?81ucjbf2stm5d10
Chapter I: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?09g4bqdm8nta99a

One Ring to rule them all.
One Ring to find them.
One Ring to bring them all and i the darkness bind them.

A pretty original signature, eh? eh?

(This post was edited by FlamingDovahkiin on Apr 30 2013, 1:33am)

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

Apr 30 2013, 11:59pm

Post #2 of 21 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

Also tell me if any lore is conflicting, it's really hard keeping this junk straight in my head and on paper.

One Ring to find them.

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 1 2013, 2:25am

Post #3 of 21 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much activity in this section here is there? Or does the book just suck Unsure

One Ring to find them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2013, 6:04am

Post #4 of 21 (1671 views)
Shortcut
Nothing personal... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just try to stay away from other people's uncompleted manuscripts.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DwellerInDale
Rohan

May 1 2013, 1:04pm

Post #5 of 21 (1644 views)
Shortcut
And nothing personal, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you might consider learning how to spell correctly before trying to write a novel. Words like "inhabbit" , "north poll", "philosifers", and "counsil" won't exactly impress your readers.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 1 2013, 1:05pm

Post #6 of 21 (1630 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Erm, okay?

Then why are you here?

One Ring to find them.

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 1 2013, 1:20pm

Post #7 of 21 (1625 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they won't. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure they wouldn't impress my readers, but misspelling a few words because I was typing a book hastily certainly doesn't impede the story.

Besides I'll get some dorks to do that when my book becomes a hit novel Sly

Now seriously though what did you think of it?

One Ring to find them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2013, 2:54pm

Post #8 of 21 (1617 views)
Shortcut
You were complaining that you were not getting any resoponses [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I gave you a reason why I wasn't responding. Now you complain about that.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2013, 3:33pm

Post #9 of 21 (1605 views)
Shortcut
Spelling matters (sorry, too late to edit my last post) [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay. I broke down and checked out your links.

Spelling does matter. Poor spelling looks unprofessional and makes you look semi-literate--not a good way to impress an editor. And between a good dictionary and thesaurus and the existance of Spell Check there are no good excuses for it.

Fix the mixed fonts in your text. They are annoying and make your manuscript a chore to slog through. Not at all reader-friendly.

Your writing style needs work. There is nothing wrong with the 'everyday language' approach, but I think that you take it a bit too far. Also, asides such as '(The names of the other ten are unimportant.)' are largely unnecessary and needlessly telegraph that these additional characters are nothing more than cannon-fodder. Often, less is more. Writers need to be ruthless in their need to self-edit (a well-known author once wrote that writers have to be prepared to kill their children).

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 1 2013, 4:54pm

Post #10 of 21 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for reading [In reply to] Can't Post

I went and corrected most of the spelling errors. I do agree my writing could use a bit of work, but still, what do you think of it? Just on a 1-10 or 1-5 scale?

Also I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'everyday language approach'. I'm also not at all sure what you mean by mixed fonts, do you just mean the bold and italic titles? If so those were meant to be there.

One Ring to find them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2013, 5:15pm

Post #11 of 21 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I meant your mixture of italics and bold lettering... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frankly, it is a stupid idea and adds nothing except annoyance and confusion for the reader. Stop it.

FYI: It's prologue (or prolog), not prolougue.

In retrospect, my "everyday language" comment doesn't make much sense to myself either. Let's just say that your writing doesn't yet sing, but falls a bit flat in its tone. I hate to use a numeric rating but since you asked, I might give what I've read a 2 out of 5 (3 out of 10?).

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 1 2013, 5:38pm

Post #12 of 21 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I stink... [In reply to] Can't Post

Darn, 3 of 10? I must suck.

But I still don't get that mixed fonts thing, no matter what angle I look at it from, I don't see 'annoyance and confusion'.

Thanks for your feedback, I think what it's missing are those purely descriptive paragraphs; for some reason my brain just can't seem to think of a way to make ten paragraphs out of two hobbits standing motionless. I guess I won't be the next J.R.R Tolkien Unsure

One Ring to find them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2013, 5:44pm

Post #13 of 21 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Don't give up too easily... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't suggest that you give up on your novel. However, while you work on it, you might want to try honing your skills on shorter works. There are still some markets for short fiction and editors can provide valuable feedback.

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 1 2013, 5:48pm

Post #14 of 21 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, but I don't give up so easy... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your constructive criticisms.

But you don't have to worry about me giving up just yet, I plan to sit down with my laptop and The Fellowship of the Ring and (try to) improve it.

One Ring to find them.

Luinnįr
Rivendell

May 2 2013, 12:00pm

Post #15 of 21 (1571 views)
Shortcut
I wish you luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

May 7 2013, 9:16pm

Post #16 of 21 (1759 views)
Shortcut
If you want advice [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been reading the prologue, and it starts with so many data, names of plasces mainly, so many

If you allow me, I would start with a shocking phrase, one that hooks the audience and then I would start with some character (not necesarry the main) but people usually dont feel conection with a mountain, (not in the first paragraph at least, well I odnt know, hehe)

And then imagine the wildest situation (or ridiculous one) that comes to your mind, dont judge it, just start building from that, you will be surprised how the story leads you to unknown places

Oh and try something new, Tolkien had his time, you will probably have your own shining far away of good“s professor“s shadow

Well sorry for the spelling I“m spanish and it is not my tongue, I hope this will help you because once it helped me

Thanks good Otaku for reading your stuff

IMO

best luck

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 9 2013, 12:12pm

Post #17 of 21 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you enjoyed that, I'll consider what you've said.

And there's really no need to apologize for your spelling, you already learned the hardest language in the world!

One Ring to find them.

LordGawain
Rivendell

May 21 2013, 12:55am

Post #18 of 21 (1492 views)
Shortcut
Another good hint. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that you are trying to write a novel, it's quite the undertaking!

I myself am not a great writer, I do not have the patience. I am a great reader, though, I study English literature at the university at the moment, so I guess I do know what it takes to write a good book, although I don't think I would be able to do it myself. Anyway, some tips:

1) Do not start writing with the FotR next to you. Read it, for sure, because it's great, but it wouldn't help to just copy Tolkien's style, just because you like it. Since the 60s, most fantasy authors have tried to compete with LotR, but the successful, and in my opinion best works of fantasy are those trying to do something unique, something fresh, something new. Your whole back-story is quite alright, but it could be truly great if it wasn't so clearly derived from Tolkien's work, and similar to other fantasy novels.

2) what makes good fantasy great, is the thematic structure of the book. what is your book really about? LotR is about death and the desire for deathlessness, corruption, weakness that comes from trying to do good, and the finding of bravery, among other things. The Hobbit is about egocentricity vs selflessness, greed, the search for adventure, ... These themes give the story a heart, which makes all the difference. It's about so much more than epic battles, where the guys in white beat the guys in black.

3) you said: 'I'm sure they wouldn't impress my readers, but misspelling a few words because I was typing a book hastily certainly doesn't impede the story.'
I can only tell you my discovery, that in true Literature (and I've read a lot of great English authors, from Malory to Beckett) the form is more important than the content. In the end, it are the words that tell the story and that decide whether it is enjoyable or not. That is why published authors often spend hours on getting that one sentence to sound just right. Always remember: the process of writing is not just a means to tell a story, it is a end-goal on its own, just as important as your plot. To learn more, I would suggest reading some poetry from the Romantic Period, like some verses of Lyrical Ballads by Wordsworth and Coleridge (check out the latter's Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner especially, it's beautiful) and Songs of Innocence and Experience by Blake. These authors all tell relatively simple (and often in essence even dull) stories, Wordsworth is especially keen on simply describing nature, but it is their selection of words that make these poems some of the finest ever written. The period's fashion was to write for all classes in civilization, so the vocabulary used is relatively simple and very readable for a modern audience. Pay attention to their use of sounds, and how every sentence is like a song on its own, that would be beautiful even if you would not understand English. The vocabulary and syntax carries a meaning on its own, that complements the actual content of the writing, therefore adding more depth. Try to implement that in your work, and you might become a great author one day.

Keep on writing, and keep us posted! :D

Escapist
Gondor

May 21 2013, 1:42am

Post #19 of 21 (1537 views)
Shortcut
I think you should think about a few things like: [In reply to] Can't Post

What is your main reason for writing this piece? What are you trying to capture from your imagination and communicate to someone? What drives you to do it? What are you gaining from it?
My answers to these questions have kept me going in spite of some strong criticism.

Who is your target audience? What is their entry into this story? How is it relevant to lived experience? What does it mean to someone reading it? If it is just entertainment then what makes a person desire it?

etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps it is only wishful thinking on my part, but I am willing to bet that a lot of early stage stuff is met with quite a lot of criticism and early drafts tend to rate much lower than final polished versions of anything.

I should also add that it is my impression that the standards of competitiveness for fantastic / imaginative fiction are quite high and the number of books out there has exploded in recent years. I have come across dozens of books that seem to have been written fairly recently. The existence and circulation of them is both daunting and encouraging, but it isn't exactly a small "niche" any more and I am willing to bet the level of competition is becoming pretty heavy. All of this may matter more or less all depending on your goals with your writing.

It's interesting that we are living in a world of increasing specialization. There may be a tendency to have one set of people generate creative ideas and another hone skills to develop those ideas without any cooperation or overlap. I think a great deal of important stuff gets lost in this compartmentalization and I utterly refuse to cooperate in the slightest. I guess this is why I am becoming more and more familiar with words like "posthumous". But that's just me. This attitude of mine shields me against criticism and keeps that core engine of creativity hot, which is important to me for many reasons. I don't know where you are on the map of creativity and marketability and the like but that position is likely to be important for how you take things and what you do with your story.

Finally, in my personal opinion, I don't want to live in a world where only the best and most favored do all the singing and writing for everyone else. So I plan to keep up with all of it for my own happiness. If that's all that comes of it than that's fine with me.

(This post was edited by Escapist on May 21 2013, 1:43am)

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 22 2013, 1:54pm

Post #20 of 21 (1475 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for the wait. [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize for the long reply, I'm getting a little bit evicted lol.

First off, you sure as heck could write a novel! Just make that post your forward Wink

1.) I see your points and agree, but I'm not simply 'copying' him, I'm learning at the feet of the master!
My back-story wasn't supposed to be clearly derived from Tolkien's work... Darn that Tolkien! He stole my idea.

But I agree, and I'm planning to rewrite the whole thing without the bad style and bland landscapes.

2.) Maybe it's just me, but to tell the truth, I've never really noticed the chunks of the writer's soul woven into books and movies. All I see is the guys in white beating the guys in black, and I enjoy every second of it.

It was actually going to be Sykes' discovery of himself (not sure if he's named Sykes in what you read), and him finding the meaning of true friendship and, in the end, finding the peace he's sought his whole life.

3.) I agree there, but if my novel were to ever be published, I'm sure it would be spell checked. The more I read FotR (which I'm like 3 pages from completing), the more I hear the beauty of Tolkien's words, how every sentence is like a poem in itself.

The book is on hold at the moment, due to the reason stated at the beginning, I've not had much time.

I thanks you for your awe inspiring post, and the helpful hints and constructive criticism you've given me.

One Ring to find them.

FlamingDovahkiin
The Shire

May 22 2013, 2:11pm

Post #21 of 21 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Another brilliant post [In reply to] Can't Post

What is your main reason for writing this piece? What are you trying to capture from your imagination and communicate to someone? What drives you to do it? What are you gaining from it?
My answers to these questions have kept me going in spite of some strong criticism.

I'm a man, I'm just too shallow for all of that poring my emotions into the book.

I'm writing it so I don't have to go by the rules of Tolkien or Todd Howard (Elder Scrolls game series), so I can have my fantasy world, with my rules, and [i[my lore. I want my own elves and orcs, with a history that I enjoy.

Who is your target audience? What is their entry into this story? How is it relevant to lived experience? What does it mean to someone reading it? If it is just entertainment then what makes a person desire it?

Once again, not that far into it. The target audience is people like me, people who want to see background, story, and bloody battles.

It's not relevant to lived experience because I live on earth! Not Middle-Earth!

What it means to people reading it is what they make of it, what they enjoy of it. What makes a person desire it is the content, if someone desires a good story, then let them have at it! If they desire action, be my guest!

Perhaps it is only wishful thinking on my part, but I am willing to bet that a lot of early stage stuff is met with quite a lot of criticism and early drafts tend to rate much lower than final polished versions of anything.

I do agree there, by the time I'm through with it, you wouldn't know what you just read was an early version.

This was a very nice post, but I've never understood people trying to 'get a message across'. The ONLY thing that I don't like about LotR are the messages in it. The whole friendship-dudes-crying-win-against-darkness is what I don't enjoy!

If I wanted to convey a message, and my philosifies to the reader, it would be; "No matter how hard it gets, get through it, by any means necessary short of abandoning those you love."

WAIT A MINUTE! My mom left me and my father a year or two ago (I'm 14, live with it), so maybe I'm unconsiously pouring my soul into it!

I just really have to thank you for letting me realize that just now, and I apologize profusely if I was impolite.

One Ring to find them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.