Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radhagast

Yngwulff
Gondor

Apr 28 2013, 3:14am

Post #1 of 17 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Radhagast Can't Post

I was dubious about him when it was mentioned he was going to be included in the Hobbit series, but I changed my mind when I saw him. He pleasantly suprised me. Almost bumbling and half-witted at times (the side Saruman despises I think) and then a moment of profound lucidity and clarity which shows him to be what he really is ... one of the Five Wizards.

Opinions/Thoughts?

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 28 2013, 5:30am

Post #2 of 17 (519 views)
Shortcut
I think Radagast was really well executed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved his scatter-brained way of saying things, the smoking and even the bird poop. Didn't bother me one bit.

I think he's one of those characters who's either hated or loved. He really does fit in with the childlike part of AUJ - my cousins loved him.

Also, it's not as if he's just there for no reason, as you've pointed out - he has a purpose. It'll be interesting to hear something from the not-so-fond-of-Radagast posters, though.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"You think you world is safe? It is an illusion. A comforting lie told to protect you. Enjoy these final moments of peace, for I have returned to have my vengeance. So, shall we begin? " - John Harrison/Khan/Sherlock/Smaug (Star Trek: Into Darkness)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 6:37am

Post #3 of 17 (506 views)
Shortcut
I like Radagast but not really the scenes he's in [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed Sylvester McCoy's performance as Radagast and liked the interpretation of him as a scatter-brained hippie wizard who nonetheless possesses true power. However, I didn't really care for many of the scenes he was in. Part of that is me being a purist and disliking the material that wasn't in the books. I really could have done without the warg chase, the ridiculous bunny sled, and the protracted hedgehog rescue. I think Radagast would have worked better in a brief "evil stirs in Mirkwood" scene, followed by an appearance at the White Council meeting. To me, that would have been less intrusive and truer to the books. But again, that's the Tolkien fan in me being nitpicky.

emre43
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 10:05am

Post #4 of 17 (474 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Tolkien fan but not a purist. [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I was put off by the snippets I was hearing about Radagast. I am now, though, a fan of his. What he was doing during the Hobbit was never described so who's to say he wasn't doing what PJ said. Just like Tolkien was the first to chronicle certain aspects of Middle Earth, PJ, it can be said is another. Tolkien did say that he wanted others to expand the universe that he created.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 28 2013, 10:31am

Post #5 of 17 (446 views)
Shortcut
Love him. Or hate him. you can't ignore him. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Radagast, as well as the scenes he is in. And I am also closer to the purist side, but I can tolerate less drastic changes.

I thought that his version epitomised the tone of The Hobbit; whimsical one minute, and powerful the next. I think that there may be a hint of Tom Bombadil in him (in the whimsy part) but he's more serious than Tom. I was worried about how he was going to be portrayed but I think they did a very good job (bird poo aside). I suspect a lot of that has to do with Sylvester McCoy's acting ability.

Regarding his "irritating" demeanor, maybe that's the way a rabbit or squirrel would act if they could converse with humans?

As for the bird poo part, but I would think if one lives as deeply with the animals and plants as he does...he probably is so used to it he doesn't notice anymore.

I have a question though. I didn't understand the stick-insect bit. Anybody?

emre, I hope PJ doesn't see that last sentence of yours. Oh dear God ... Wink

(This post was edited by Smeagol Bagginsess on Apr 28 2013, 10:33am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 11:23am

Post #6 of 17 (413 views)
Shortcut
I was quite surprised by how much i liked him. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not a fan of Sylvester McCoy's, and i hated his Doctor. And i was not hopeful after the vlogs, with his goofy way of talking, and all the whistling and the spoons. But i gotta say, i really ended up liking Radagast, and can't wait to see what they do with him in the next two films. Like almost everyone else, i think he has his problems-- the warg chase is ridiculous and pretty much pointless (and looks terrible cgi-wise), and the bird crap is a head scratcher (like the Great Goblin's chin-- who thought that was a good idea?!). But even the stick insect doesn't bother me (though i don't think it's at all funny) and the rabbit sled is a clever idea, even if it stretches credulity. But all these complaints have more to do with PJ i suspect than anyone else, so i mark it up as just another of his many over-indulgences that we face in these Hobbit films. Overall, Radagast has been a nice surprise.

Skaan
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 11:32am

Post #7 of 17 (408 views)
Shortcut
As others have said, [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing i liked about Radagast was how goofy he was, but at the same time you still knew he was a powerful wizard (as shown in the scene where he heals the hedgehog).

I think we'll see him do a lot more serious stuff in the next 2 movies (especially the battle of Dol Guldur)

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Apr 28 2013, 11:56am

Post #8 of 17 (403 views)
Shortcut
I wound up really enjoying him [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, Sylvester nailed the children's book vibe of the novel. Bird poop aside, I really like him and his animal friends.

The fact that he performed some of the most powerful magic on screen and is very heroic in spite of his addlements, makes Radagast more of a pleasure.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

(This post was edited by ByThorinsBeard on Apr 28 2013, 11:57am)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 12:45pm

Post #9 of 17 (382 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I felt that the whole "mushroom-addled" angle was kind of un-Tolkien, I did like McCoy's performance (although the stick insect bit had me rolling my eyes). And believe it or not, I really like the bunny sled. It's so ridiculous that I can't help but laugh every time I see it.

Nira
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 4:39pm

Post #10 of 17 (371 views)
Shortcut
Just take out the stick insect and the bird poo [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I'm all for Radhagast! It's a children's tale; he's supposed to be a bit off-center, but not unbelievably so.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 28 2013, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 17 (390 views)
Shortcut
Radagast in retrospect [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I was put-off by Radagast. I thought him way too silly and the scenes with him in it way too uninteresting. I didn't mind the bird-poop at all. I have a friend who care-takes birds and I can assure you, there is bird-poop galore everywhere there are birds. Then after having watched it (24 times) in the theaters, I came to the conclusion that I did in fact like the portrayal in the movie, just not some of the scenes that I thought were silly, such as the smoke coming out of his ears and the stick insect bit. That aside, I liked how he looked, I liked his caring for the hedgehog, and I loved his bunny sled. (One of my favorite lines in the movie was his actually, when he responded to Gandalf's, "These are Gundabad orcs. They will outrun you." And his, "These are Roscobel rabbits. I'd like to see them try!" No coward, that Radagast!)

The few moments that were more serious in tone, such as his presence at Dol Goldur and when he was talking with Gandalf about what he had discovered, reflected the Radagast I was more expecting to see. However, I appreciate his child-like, whimsical side as well. So all in all, I can live with it fine.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 5:52pm

Post #12 of 17 (235 views)
Shortcut
Radagast The Brown [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I didn't much like what I saw of Radagast in AUJ. I think he was too much depicted as a weirdos near craziness and that's not really how I figured The Brown wizard in FOTR. Radagast has it's ways with the wilderness and care so much for it that he made a living of it but I didn't have the impression that he was half-crazed from that lifestyle. After all he does have some social contact.

Anyway, I had the impression that he was used as a comical character to draw a laugh form the audience. That doesn't work very much with me, that's not the Ragagast I imagined reading the books.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 29 2013, 5:53pm)

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 9:37pm

Post #13 of 17 (218 views)
Shortcut
I LOVED the entire depiction of Radagast in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I loved Radagast, as well as the scenes he is in. And I am also closer to the purist side, but I can tolerate less drastic changes.

I thought that his version epitomised the tone of The Hobbit; whimsical one minute, and powerful the next. I think that there may be a hint of Tom Bombadil in him (in the whimsy part) but he's more serious than Tom. I was worried about how he was going to be portrayed but I think they did a very good job (bird poo aside). I suspect a lot of that has to do with Sylvester McCoy's acting ability.
I LOVED the entire depiction. It was sweet and endearing - a Maia who went "native" and lost his mind - but still good and honorable and dedicated to fighting evil. When he was trying to heal the animal Sebastian - I thought that it was lovely and almost brought tears to my eyes. And I LOVED the bunny sled - the exact method of transportation that Radagast should have. I loved it - and I do agree - it had A LOT to do with McCoy's great acting.Smile

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2013, 1:25am

Post #14 of 17 (202 views)
Shortcut
I think McCoy did the best he could with what he was given to work with [In reply to] Can't Post

But I felt his character was written with comic relief in mind. I lied certain aspects of his character and despised others. I liked the more innocent, gentile demeanor, and for the most part his look was spot on, other than the OTT bird crap (yes I know birds poop but was it necessary?) and the birds living under his hat. I wasn't a fan of the hedgehogs and felt they wasted time that could have been better spent on other more important things. I hated the stick insect and most of his dumb act. I think he should have been portrayed as gentile, soft spoken and maybe a tad forgetful and eccentric, but not like a dirty hermit who doesn't bathe, and is half looney toons.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 7:08am

Post #15 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
100% agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I LOVED the entire depiction. It was sweet and endearing - a Maia who went "native" and lost his mind - but still good and honorable and dedicated to fighting evil. When he was trying to heal the animal Sebastian - I thought that it was lovely and almost brought tears to my eyes. And I LOVED the bunny sled - the exact method of transportation that Radagast should have. I loved it - and I do agree - it had A LOT to do with McCoy's great acting.Smile

glor
Rohan

Apr 30 2013, 11:42am

Post #16 of 17 (205 views)
Shortcut
A tribute to T H White? [In reply to] Can't Post

From The Once and Future King. a quote:

Merlyn had a long white beard and long white moustaches which hung down on either side of it. Close inspecpection showed that he was far from clean. It was not that he had dirtyfingernails, or anything like that, but some large bird seemed to have been nesting in his hair.The Wart was familiar with the nests of Spar-hark and Gos, the crazy conglomerations of sticks and oddments which had been taken over from squirrels or crows, and he knew howthe twigs and the tree foot were splashed with white mutes, old bones, muddy feathers andcastings. This was the impression which he got from Merlyn. The old man was streaked withdroppings over his shoulders, among the stars and triangles of his gown, and a large spider was slowly lowering itself from the tip of his hat, as he gazed and slowly blinked at the little boy in front of him.
Merlyn took off his pointed hat when he came into this chamber, because it was too high for the roof, and immediately there was a scamper in one of the dark corners and a flap of softwings, and a tawny owl was sitting on the black skull-cap which protected the top of his head.

White's Merlyn starts off as whimsical, silly almost then becomes a darker more serious character, whose real power despite his personality becomes apparent.

just a thought

(This post was edited by glor on Apr 30 2013, 11:45am)

Sam20
Lorien

May 1 2013, 6:48pm

Post #17 of 17 (156 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But I felt his character was written with comic relief in mind. I lied certain aspects of his character and despised others. I liked the more innocent, gentile demeanor, and for the most part his look was spot on, other than the OTT bird crap (yes I know birds poop but was it necessary?) and the birds living under his hat. I wasn't a fan of the hedgehogs and felt they wasted time that could have been better spent on other more important things. I hated the stick insect and most of his dumb act. I think he should have been portrayed as gentile, soft spoken and maybe a tad forgetful and eccentric, but not like a dirty hermit who doesn't bathe, and is half looney toons.

I totally agree with that, that's exactly how I feel about the character and I wouldn't have said it in a better way. Cheers.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.