Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorin's facial scars at the end of AUJ...a DOS continuity problem?

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 3:02am

Post #1 of 15 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's facial scars at the end of AUJ...a DOS continuity problem? Can't Post

I know PJ added the confrontation sequence between Oakenshield and Azog at the end of AUJ, but all of his scenes in DOS had already been shot so...will this be a problem for DOS?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 4:01am

Post #2 of 15 (812 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that what pickups are for? [In reply to] Can't Post

Among other things, of course.

But, then, Thorin's recuperative powers are awesome. There he was practically dead, and after a short eagle flight he's up, walking around, hugging Bilbo, and showing only fairly minor facial marks. They'll probably heal in no time.

Defiant
Bree

Apr 29 2013, 4:16am

Post #3 of 15 (802 views)
Shortcut
... because Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

:) The Wizard laid hands on him. That can explain away any continuity or recuperative conundrums.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 3:07pm

Post #4 of 15 (548 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. The Laying of Hands by a Wizard is a POWERFUL thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad it can only be used once per trilogy, or Thorin might have survived Erebor. Unsure Actually, I liked the scene. That part of it anyway. Shows a diversity of Gandalf's powers and usefullness to the company. Also hearkens to his healing of Pippin's mind.

In Reply To
:) The Wizard laid hands on him. That can explain away any continuity or recuperative conundrums.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 15 (523 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, Gandalf as Nienna's emissary [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Too bad it can only be used once per trilogy, or Thorin might have survived Erebor. Unsure Actually, I liked the scene. That part of it anyway. Shows a diversity of Gandalf's powers and usefullness to the company. Also hearkens to his healing of Pippin's mind.

In Reply To

...can be a powerful force of healing and compassion. **I LOVE when it is highlighted!!!!!!!!!!** HeartAngelic (Have noted only recently as well his deep sympathy for the plight of the Dwarves while listening to Thorin in the old farmer's house. Such a perfect characterization of his heart.)

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 4:41pm

Post #6 of 15 (501 views)
Shortcut
I don't think for a minute that he actually *healed* Thorin or brought him back from the brink of death [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously Thorin was wounded but probably not anywhere near fatally. My interpretation was that Gandalf's spell simply allowed Thorin to regain consciousness. Gandalf wanted to use it to see if Thorin was still alive or not. I like the reference to RotK scene you mention though.

Of course, that's only my perspective on what happened.

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2013, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 15 (400 views)
Shortcut
Mine too. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 10:11pm

Post #8 of 15 (355 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

...can be a powerful force of healing and compassion. **I LOVE when it is highlighted!!!!!!!!!!** HeartAngelic (Have noted only recently as well his deep sympathy for the plight of the Dwarves while listening to Thorin in the old farmer's house. Such a perfect characterization of his heart.)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 10:15pm

Post #9 of 15 (369 views)
Shortcut
Yet that IS a form of powerful healing. Thorin's unconciousness was not like Pippin's or [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn's after contact with the Palantir (i.e. primarily a psycological, spiritual and magical matter). He had suffered severe head and likely cerebral trauma and a concussion. The healing would have probably had to address that.

In Reply To
Obviously Thorin was wounded but probably not anywhere near fatally. My interpretation was that Gandalf's spell simply allowed Thorin to regain consciousness. Gandalf wanted to use it to see if Thorin was still alive or not. I like the reference to RotK scene you mention though.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 10:48pm

Post #10 of 15 (359 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that blow looked close to lethal to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Aragorn's after contact with the Palantir (i.e. primarily a psycological, spiritual and magical matter). He had suffered severe head and likely cerebral trauma and a concussion. The healing would have probably had to address that.

In Reply To

Whenever i see that scene, i wonder how anyone could survive such a direct blow from that huge, 4-bladed mace. But then i remember the stone giants scene, and the two huge falls in Goblin Town, and i realize that dwarves are indestructible ha ha.

AUJ did well with Gandalf's powers i thought, even if it went a little overboard with his melee combat. In Goblin Town he almost reached Yoda levels of cgi swordfighting.

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 1:22am

Post #11 of 15 (305 views)
Shortcut
many thanks, brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

.... for reminding us in a very lovely written way of gandalf's link to valinor, and his beginnings, and what tolkien chooses to emphasize regarding power.

saruman had greater skill, but the power of the gift of compassion and healing and hope is something that gandalf displays again and again, to the benefit of middle earth.

nicely written, nicely done. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 30 2013, 7:35pm

Post #12 of 15 (247 views)
Shortcut
How do we know he wasn't originally going to be injured? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just because they added the confrontation with Azog doesn't mean Thorin wasn't gonna get hurt in some way, resulting in facial cuts etc. I doubt Peter would be as stupid as not to realise he was creating a massive continuity error for DoS!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 1 2013, 4:33am

Post #13 of 15 (213 views)
Shortcut
u do realize... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ added that confrontation between Thorin and Azog after they shot the original two part film? My point is not calling PJ stupid. My point is that PJ shot the scene because there wash't a big enough climax at the end of the original cut when TH was a two part film. However, all the scenes after with Thorin were shot pre-Azog/Thorin confrontation therefore how will they explain the wounds Thorin had on his face at the end of AUJ?

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

May 1 2013, 12:13pm

Post #14 of 15 (209 views)
Shortcut
Thorin does have facial wounds at Beorn's [In reply to] Can't Post

We see in one of the vlogs when the company is at Beorn's house that Thorin has facial wounds, so Thorin was going to be wounded somehow in the original two-part Hobbit films :)

You see it in this picture: http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33300000/Beorn-s-house-thorin-oakenshield-33335313-1280-720.jpg

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

(This post was edited by painjoiker on May 1 2013, 12:16pm)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

May 1 2013, 4:19pm

Post #15 of 15 (191 views)
Shortcut
he does have facial wounds [In reply to] Can't Post

but i noticed that he doesn't have the forehead wound that he had at the end of AUJ.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.