Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is the Bilbo/Frodo beginning in AUJ coherent with the THEATRICAL version of FOTR?

xxxyyy
Rohan

Apr 29 2013, 1:57pm

Post #1 of 11 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Is the Bilbo/Frodo beginning in AUJ coherent with the THEATRICAL version of FOTR? Can't Post

I don't have any longer the theatrical version of FOTR, I sold it as soon as the EE came out, so I can't compare them.
Are they still incompatible?
If they are not, I suspect PJ will fix all the problems with AUJ EE in order to match the EEs perfectly together... I mean, those three screenwriters are not so dumb to make such obvious continuity mistakes...

http://energyfromthorium.com/

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 3:01pm

Post #2 of 11 (533 views)
Shortcut
So far, it's only coherent with the Theatrical version... [In reply to] Can't Post

...including the intertitle "60 years later" / "60 years earlier".

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 4:21pm

Post #3 of 11 (492 views)
Shortcut
could u give us some examples of continuity problems? [In reply to] Can't Post

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 7:02pm

Post #4 of 11 (418 views)
Shortcut
I assume... [In reply to] Can't Post

that one of them is Bilbo seeing Frodo off to greet Gandalf in The Hobbit only for him to wonder where he is in FOTR when he's writing and someone knocks on the door.

I just like to imagine that Bilbo is so into writing his book that he forgets things.... especially as he's getting on and gettting more odd. He did after all forget it was his birthday when Frodo told him in The Hobbit.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 8:44pm

Post #5 of 11 (371 views)
Shortcut
Has no one done a chronilogical edit of these two scenes yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have thought something like that would have shown up on Youtube by now.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Apr 30 2013, 12:32am

Post #6 of 11 (295 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. And Bilbo getting odd is fine, but not THAT odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

He might call for Frodo once and than realize he had sent him to meet Gandalf. But not remembering it at all is just plain silly.
I'm sure that scene in FOTR EE could be edited removing him shouting Frodo like a brainless madman... also asking himself, if I rememebr correctly, where he has gone... what the heck?!?

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 30 2013, 12:48am

Post #7 of 11 (268 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought since there is just a bit of a continuity error right there, that it could be attributed to Bilbo being rather hurried and for want of a better word, scatterbrained. As strong as he had become in The Hobbit by the end, Bilbo was always rather high strung.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 6:54am

Post #8 of 11 (204 views)
Shortcut
It could also be... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that quite some time has passed between Frodo leaving and Bilbo calling for him. So that it might be reasonable to assume by Bilbo that Frodo is already back, getting ready for the party... in the end, noone really knows when Gandalf might show up.

What Bilbo writes however is also only making sense with a little stretch.

The structure of his book will be:

A prologue (or a "foreword" written personally for Frodo) beginning with "It began long ago..."

Then "In a hole in the ground...".

Then "Concerning Hobbits" (although a chapter on Hobbit would blend in a "real" book after the introduction of Hobbit holes). This is assuming that he only writes the "foreword" specifically for Frodo but also has a larger audience in mind (otherwise explaining on Hobbits would not make sense).

Ignoring, of course, that he says in FotR "Where should I begin" and then writes "Concerning Hobbits". But "begin" could also refer to "where do I actually begin the real story".

All a bit of a stretch, but I am glad they still did the opening the way they did (although I would have pushed the Frodo part to the EE and started with young Bilbo coming out of the food chamber right after "In a hole in the ground....").

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 30 2013, 7:50pm

Post #9 of 11 (118 views)
Shortcut
I think they're just gonna explain it away as Bilbo's absent-mindedness [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, he's even forgotten that it's the day of the Party!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 8:03pm

Post #10 of 11 (130 views)
Shortcut
He does get much more forgetful later [In reply to] Can't Post

In RotK, when he asks Frodo about the Ring. "I'm afraid I lost it"

cats16
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2013, 9:56pm

Post #11 of 11 (139 views)
Shortcut
I had considered posting this earlier... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm glad you brought that up. I think it's a really interesting moment for Bilbo's character arc, something we'll see in DOS and TABA. I'm curious if they are going to bring up the Ring at all in the next two films (other than the invisibility). What I mean is whether or not we will see Bilbo looking at it/playing with it/holding it or he will just use it when he is in a tight spot.

I hope they don't do anything other than show him putting it on/taking it off. Everyone who has seen LOTR knows what's coming later on with the Ring, so we don't need anymore insight into its use and function. And for those who haven't seen LOTR, there should be quite a bit of mystery surrounding what the Ring is and how it will impact Bilbo.

But back to the scene in ROTK, I'm glad to see this moment, showing that Bilbo has finally been able to give up the Ring in his mind. Such a great way to end his story, as he leaves ME.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.