Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 11:54am

Post #1 of 44 (275 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 12:00pm

Post #2 of 44 (186 views)
Shortcut
Jaws III and Deep Blue Sea [In reply to] Can't Post

A German channel apparantly had a "shark movie" night and I was in the mood of some watery trash ;)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 1:26pm

Post #3 of 44 (177 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock, [In reply to] Can't Post

just finished season 2 and now have to wait until September for season 3 to be released in the U.S.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

paperC
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 1:29pm

Post #4 of 44 (172 views)
Shortcut
South Park: Imaginationland, Death Proof and Iron Man 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

All pretty great!

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 2:21pm

Post #5 of 44 (170 views)
Shortcut
The BBC Sense & Sensibility with [In reply to] Can't Post

Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey. It was great! Three hour long episodes so I watched one each evening to savor it.

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 2:24pm

Post #6 of 44 (165 views)
Shortcut
Was Iron Man III better than [In reply to] Can't Post

Iron Man II? I watched that one recently with a friend & we didn't really like it

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 3:38pm

Post #7 of 44 (163 views)
Shortcut
Still watching Mr. Selfridge. I also watched a movie called Enigma [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie is about the codebreakers at Bletchley Park during world war two. Starring Kate Winslet and Dougrary Scott. It was a little difficult to keep up with, but it became clearer later and it was very good and informative. I also watch the excellent series called "call the Midwife and I'm also watching the Bletchley Circle.

I also spent a lot of time on YouTube continuing to watch the series called QI. One of my TORnsibs recommended it to me, a little bird, as it were, and I have been treating myself to episodes quie often. Little bird, you know who you are!

I also watched Ladies in Lavender, with 2 of the best actresses ever-- Dames Judi and Maggie. The storyline was a little bland--more of watching people's feelings and emotions play out, and not much action. But it was sweet.

I also watched Jurassic Park in 3D. I'm sorry to say that I didn't enjoy the experience much, because my TV is prone to ghosting ( crosstalk, whatever) and this disc brought it out pretty bad. As much as I love 3D and Jurassic Park, this was not a good pairing for my set. Odd, because it was converted to 3D by the same company that worked on Titanic, and I had no problems with that disc--it is one of the best examples of 3D out there, even though it was not filmed that way. So if they convert the Lord of the Rings, we could be looking at something like Titanic or we could be looking at something like Jurassic Park. I guess I am saying it's not as cut and dried as it seems.

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Apr 29 2013, 3:39pm)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 3:42pm

Post #8 of 44 (154 views)
Shortcut
Sense and Sensibility [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of those rare times when I like both versions equally. The Emma Thompson version and this one.

Did you also happen to see Miss Austen Regrets, which is a movie that was included with this disk?

paperC
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 3:59pm

Post #9 of 44 (150 views)
Shortcut
Much better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't like Iron Man 2 either, but this was a blast.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 4:01pm

Post #10 of 44 (148 views)
Shortcut
The Pirates! Band of Misfits... [In reply to] Can't Post

...via NetFlix. 'Twas a silly thing, but still enjoyable to a couple o' land-lubbers. Yaaahr!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 4:30pm

Post #11 of 44 (143 views)
Shortcut
I watched The Bletchley Circle last night, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's o.k. as a mystery, but the four main actors are all really good. I'd never heard of Bletchley Park before this series, so i'll have to check out that Kate Winslet movie as it all sounds pretty fascinating (plus, Kate Winslet).

I don't normally watch Call the Midwife (though i'm slowly becoming hooked), but that was a pretty intense episode-- they don't seem to shy away from tough subject matter.

I'm just waiting for Mr. Selfridge to end-- i can't tolerate Jeremy Piven, and i want my Sunday night Masterpiece back!

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 29 2013, 4:33pm)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 4:33pm

Post #12 of 44 (139 views)
Shortcut
I know. I'm waiting for it to end too. [In reply to] Can't Post

What comes on masterpiece after it goes off? Isn't it about time for masterpiece contemporary? I usually don't care for those either.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 4:55pm

Post #13 of 44 (135 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you like QI [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could get that on disc (from Netflix) with closed captions. The rapid dialog and British accents make it difficult for me to catch everything.

I was a little worried that you might have sent for the discs (which can't be cheap from the UK) and then wouldn't like it. I'd feel bad at having recommended it to you.

The promos for Bletchly Circle intrigued me so much I went online to see when it was airing and caught the first episode. I wasn't aware of the movie, Enigma, but after seeing who's in it.. I'm going to Netflix asap to add it to the queue. That's just chock full of people I like to watch!

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 5:03pm

Post #14 of 44 (136 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit and some Doctor Who. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 5:09pm

Post #15 of 44 (139 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I got it from Netflix but I'm still waiting for it to come to my neighborhood second run theater so I can see it on the big screen.

I enjoyed it. I just can't say I love it. If I had to pick 10 movies to take with me on and ark off Earth, this wouldn't be one of them.

I'm still keeping an open mind that the series as a whole may wow me more than this first third.

I finished watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip on Amazon Prime. It was quite enjoyable. I liked the first few episodes very much and then I felt they pulled back from some of the edginess and sharpness. Amanda Peet got pregnant during the series and they worked the pregnancy into the plot but working around her real life circumstances I'm sure impacted the story line in ways they wouldn't have chosen.

Even though it had a bit of a weak last third (imo), it was still a worthy series and I went back to rewatch the pilot episode after finishing the one season series so I could re-appreciate the start of the season (since a few plot threads were woven from start to finish).

We're finishing up season two of Walking Dead and we finished the dvds for Lost Girl. I think I don't have enough respect for Lost Girl (due to really weak writing and some so-so acting) to bother with then next season when it comes out on DVD. It's too bad. I like many of the characters. And I think the actors can do better but maybe the circumstances of running the show keep them from doing that.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 5:12pm

Post #16 of 44 (132 views)
Shortcut
I only bought one disc, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been doing YouTube for the rest. Yes, it's very har to hear much of it, but I'm still enjoying it immensely and continuing to be informed by it, as is my sis. Did you know that they originally wanted Michael Palin to host? I like him, but we got the better of the two, I think.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 5:15pm

Post #17 of 44 (132 views)
Shortcut
I did a little looking, [In reply to] Can't Post

and i couldn't come up with anything beyond Mr. Selfridge. But there was a single Contemporary (The Song of Lunch with Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman, which i did not see) before Mr. Selfridge, and a single Mystery (Page Eight with Bull Nighy, Michael Gambon and Rachel Weisz, which i liked quite a lot) before that, and before that was season 3 of Downton Abbey, so maybe we're up for a Mystery next?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 5:16pm

Post #18 of 44 (136 views)
Shortcut
The Croods [In reply to] Can't Post

Delightful movie! I definitely recommend it as a family movie. It's pretty funny, and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 5:45pm

Post #19 of 44 (143 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Downton fans.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you seen this Downton, the Musical? Don't watch if you haven't seen season 3 ( all of it!) or don't want to know stuff about season4. This is hilarious!

http://youtu.be/9O41N2biauc

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 6:33pm

Post #20 of 44 (120 views)
Shortcut
That was awesome! *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my favorite part...

Edith: "She never seems to look as good as her sisters, but one of them is dead now, so that's good!" Laugh

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Apr 29 2013, 6:34pm)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 44 (116 views)
Shortcut
I liked all the Dan Stevens jokes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that his ghost didn't show up. Hilarious.

Did you notice that the guy playing Thomas had a leather glove on his hand?Laugh

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 6:54pm

Post #22 of 44 (112 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes, A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, saw the glove. And yes, his ghost not showing up was hilarious!

Awesome video! Laugh

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Apr 29 2013, 6:58pm)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 6:54pm

Post #23 of 44 (109 views)
Shortcut
Could be. I was thinking that mysteries time was in the early fall. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember how it's divided up now, except I think masterpiece classic is always in the winter.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 29 2013, 6:56pm

Post #24 of 44 (105 views)
Shortcut
You did see the parody of the earlier seasons that was done with Jennifer Saunders didn't you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me know if you didn't see it and I'll do a little digging around for you.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 6:59pm

Post #25 of 44 (106 views)
Shortcut
Nope, surely haven't. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm new to Downton, though. So I'm a little late to the game Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.