Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is Or Will There Be Extended Edition?

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 12:00am

Post #1 of 17 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Is Or Will There Be Extended Edition? Can't Post

I'm not buying both this time...

So when will the EE's be out if there is one?

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 29 2013, 12:12am

Post #2 of 17 (695 views)
Shortcut
There will be one [In reply to] Can't Post

And it'll contain 20-25 minutes of new footage and should come out Oct-Nov. A quick glance on Google coulda saved you the trouble of asking this, as this has been asked probably 100 times. Tongue

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 4:40am

Post #3 of 17 (503 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry..i'm computer illiterate.. i'm an old fart. Wink

The Ultimate Tolkien Trivia Quiz: http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=so-you-want-to-be-tolkien-geek

sam90
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 17 (370 views)
Shortcut
EE [In reply to] Can't Post

It was announced here on TORn:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/04/62717-warner-bros-confirms-hobbit-extended-edition/

As for me I still don't know if I am gonna buy the EE of AUJ when it is released at the end of 2013 or if I can be patient long enough to wait a couple of year for a beautiful box-set of all 3 films in EE. One thing for sure, I will not buy the TE.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 29 2013, 4:48pm)

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Apr 29 2013, 4:56pm

Post #5 of 17 (338 views)
Shortcut
Me Either [In reply to] Can't Post

No double dipping this time..

With TLOR's, I bought the TE's in video (lol) & the EE's in DVD.

You know, I never, ever even watch the TE's any longer, even on TV..

To me, they're not even the 'movie' any longer.

And, as I just saw AUJ on an airline flight 2 weeks ago, I can certainly wait until Oct/Nov to see it again...

It's also great timing for the second movie's release (I don't even know the title, lol)

sam90
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 5:38pm

Post #6 of 17 (333 views)
Shortcut
DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

The second film is called: The Desolation OF Smaug

Here's a 3 minutes sneak peek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2jIFqsvCfQ

And I agree, EE of LOTR are simply better than the TE. I've seen the TE long ago when I was pre-teenager and never watch them again when I came back to LOTR later... The EE was just nicer with all the extra footage. I don't see any particular reason why I should want to watch them again and I've never seen the trilogy in theater....

I expect it will be the same with The Hobbit. I mean who would'nt choose a version of the a film that has between 20 and 25 minutes of extra footage? Especially when the EE is realeased a couple of month later.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 29 2013, 5:45pm)

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Apr 29 2013, 5:39pm

Post #7 of 17 (331 views)
Shortcut
20-25 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did you get the info that it would have 20-25 minutes more footage?

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

sam90
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 5:43pm

Post #8 of 17 (302 views)
Shortcut
Oups. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is indeed 20-25 from what information is available. My bad.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 6:04pm

Post #9 of 17 (308 views)
Shortcut
I believe both PJ and PB have both mentioned those numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

in various interviews, but i believe it was first mentioned in a pre-screening interview that Harry Knowles did with PJ. back in December.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 9:10pm

Post #10 of 17 (252 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link, and I agree, the EE is more enjoyable [In reply to] Can't Post

as a complete film experience.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2013, 1:11am

Post #11 of 17 (222 views)
Shortcut
Where in the appendices are the nazgul in tombs or have escaped from them? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson keeps blaming the appendices for these changes, I must have missed that part when I read them the first dozen times Crazy. I don't get how They can false advertise like that saying the material is from the appendices when its clearly not. It looks interesting enough, but why not call it what it is "made up" or "pure invention" It will be interesting to see the seen in context to the rest of the film but I do not remember reading anything of the sort of scene I saw in that clip from the appendices.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 2:20am

Post #12 of 17 (213 views)
Shortcut
This is my problem as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a problem per se with changes. The tombs look interesting enough, and I'm actually pretty excited to see the scene (all finished an complete). My problem, though, is when Jackson and the others keep pretending that this stuff is from Tolkien. It's not. But of course, it's all PR and blaming Tolkien for all this gets people to accept it. I've read other forums and people genuinely think the added bits are Tolkien's intent. Too bad really. Just call it an adaptation and be done with it.

ETA - oh, and by the way, both my signature and avatar are proof that the appendices can be adapted wonderfully. I wish they'd taken the same approach this time.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Apr 30 2013, 2:21am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 30 2013, 4:02am

Post #13 of 17 (187 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
ETA - oh, and by the way, both my signature and avatar are proof that the appendices can be adapted wonderfully. I wish they'd taken the same approach this time.

Jackson/Walsh/Boyens sure seem to have lost their touch, or reverence of Tolkien, in the last ten years. They're doing the same things, only much, much clumsier.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 30 2013, 6:24am

Post #14 of 17 (166 views)
Shortcut
Totally... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've said before that this time around the film feels more like they're using Tolkien to sell their product, rather than making the film to serve Tolkien's vision. Whatever happened to "trust Tolkien" and the scriptwriters realizing it worked better when they kept closer to the book?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 7:11am

Post #15 of 17 (174 views)
Shortcut
I can see that if one did not like the changes so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it comes across like that and do not want to contradict you, since it is your opinion.

Just want to give a different take on it. As for me who liked most of the changes, I think the tomb story is part of the attempt to give the White Council the Nazgul as opponents in the attack on Dol Guldur (and very likely put in Glorfindel's prophecy on the end of the Witch-King... potentially being said by Tauriel).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 30 2013, 4:33pm

Post #16 of 17 (144 views)
Shortcut
Watched ROTK last night... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have to say, I'm actually really hoping (since they are making these changes) that someone says the Glorfindel prophesy. It will make Gandalf's line in ROTK "the one they say no living man can kill" feel less arbitrary. And I think it will make Eowyn's accomplishment that much more satisfying.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

sam90
Lorien

May 1 2013, 6:58pm

Post #17 of 17 (93 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit and Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't have a problem per se with changes. The tombs look interesting enough, and I'm actually pretty excited to see the scene (all finished an complete). My problem, though, is when Jackson and the others keep pretending that this stuff is from Tolkien. It's not. But of course, it's all PR and blaming Tolkien for all this gets people to accept it. I've read other forums and people genuinely think the added bits are Tolkien's intent. Too bad really. Just call it an adaptation and be done with it

When a third film was announced filling parts of the trilogy by drawing mostly stuffs from the appendices that was to be expected. There is going to be lots of interpretations of what Tolkien did writted on the appendices of LOTR. I know some people don't like when I use this term but to me it's like a professional ''fanfiction''. It is their visions of what events on the appendices might have been and might look like. Some concepts are simply not from Tolkien's work at all. So it became an artistic creation, inspired from the books or elsewhere. It's a professional fanfiction. Smile

(This post was edited by sam90 on May 1 2013, 7:01pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.