Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The Hunt for Gollum or Born of Hope?
Poll: The Hunt for Gollum or Born of Hope?
The Hunt for Gollum
Born of Hope
Can't decide
View Results (93 votes)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 17 (908 views)
Shortcut
The Hunt for Gollum or Born of Hope? Can't Post

I'm curious to know which of these two fan films based on J.R.R.Tolkien's work is the most popular among this fan community. Which do you like best?

Personally I have long been a fan of The Hunt for Gollum and cannot praise it enough. Born of Hope didn't do as much for me: I felt that it lacked something, perhaps it didn't seem to flow very well even with the constant voice-over narrative. However, I must say that the actor who played Arathorn, Christopher Dane, was absolutely outstanding. His performance was the main reason that I was kept interested in the story being portrayed onscreen.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Apr 23 2013, 8:55pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 9:05pm

Post #2 of 17 (306 views)
Shortcut
Born of Hope [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so well made for being a fan-film, IMO. I could easily watch it before watching The Lord of the Rings and feel like it flowed perfectly. In fact, maybe I'll do just that next time!

On the other hand, I couldn't stand The Hunt for Gollum. I thought it was awful.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 24 2013, 12:27am

Post #3 of 17 (297 views)
Shortcut
Both have their positives and negatives [In reply to] Can't Post

For Born of Hope... the look is great but the characters needed more depth...

Hunt for Gollum.... been awhile so maybe I'll look it up to be more specific.

sam90
Lorien

Apr 24 2013, 4:33pm

Post #4 of 17 (227 views)
Shortcut
Hard to decide [In reply to] Can't Post

These are good fanfilms even though they look much like Peter Jackson's adaptations. Which is not necesserely bad but it could have been different in various ways.

To choose one, to me it would be Born Of Hope, it's inspired form the appendices and the characters are well interpreted. It gives an interesting view of this event. There is a lot of work behind it and I appreciated what I saw.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 24 2013, 4:37pm)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 25 2013, 5:58am

Post #5 of 17 (231 views)
Shortcut
Born of Hope for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked HfG, but I found the lady playing Arwen too distracting. Also, as I said elsewhere, I think the fact that BoH didn't have any of the characters from PJs LotR movies I didn't have to deal with the disconnect brought about because it wasn't the same actors, as I did with HfGs Arwen, Aragorn and Gandalf. Not fair, I know, but it was a factor.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2013, 9:24pm

Post #6 of 17 (203 views)
Shortcut
Hunt for Gollum, [In reply to] Can't Post

only because i've yet to see Born of Hope. I'll have to rectify this tonight.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 9:30pm

Post #7 of 17 (194 views)
Shortcut
Different actors/same characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that was part of the reason I didn't like it. It felt like these people were impersonating the "real" ones, if you know what I mean.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 9:31pm

Post #8 of 17 (191 views)
Shortcut
You have an avatar! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to finally "see" you Tongue

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2013, 9:35pm

Post #9 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha-- thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally decided to take the plunge after 5 years.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 9:51pm

Post #10 of 17 (186 views)
Shortcut
Wow, five years! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea you'd even been here that long. Crazy Laugh

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2013, 10:10pm

Post #11 of 17 (174 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i lurked for a couple of years.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 6:57am

Post #12 of 17 (146 views)
Shortcut
Born of Hope [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Born of Hope. I thought it was a fantastic fan film. Good story, nice extrapolation of the appendices, and as others have said, the fact that it didn't have the same characters as LOTR made it easier to suspend disbelief and get invested in the story. I wasn't distracted by actors attempting to look or sound like the ones in the movies. It was just a nice companion piece.

Hunt for Gollum was decent but flawed. As stated, the actors attempting to impersonate the LOTR cast was distracting. The budget limitations were also painfully obvious since Gollum was in a burlap sack for most of the movie.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Apr 28 2013, 6:57am)

ltcdunk
Bree

Apr 28 2013, 9:54pm

Post #13 of 17 (133 views)
Shortcut
Born of Hope, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought they were both very well done, especially given their practically non-existent budgets. BoH is better in my mind as the characters are "new", as has been already stated. But THFG was also quite good once you got past the expectation that the actors HAD to look like Sir Peter's films.

allyngibson

Apr 28 2013, 10:27pm

Post #14 of 17 (140 views)
Shortcut
I Enjoy Them Both... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I voted for Born of Hope for a few reasons.

Born of Hope has a stronger story, one that's complete in and of itself. Hunt, on the other hand, has so many callbacks to Peter Jackson's films that it doesn't stand well on its own. I think someone could watch Born of Hope without being familiar with the films and enjoy it. I don't think that's true of Hunt.

Hunt also has a weak third act. I realize the film needed a setpiece like that, but the Nazgul attack doesn't feel organic to the rest of the film.

As I said, I do enjoy them both. But for which one's best, I give the edge to Born of Hope.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 28 2013, 11:50pm

Post #15 of 17 (129 views)
Shortcut
So, did you watch Born of Hope. [In reply to] Can't Post

What did you think of it?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 12:34am

Post #16 of 17 (170 views)
Shortcut
Actually, i ended up watching [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ again that night ha ha. I'll watch it soon, and i'll report back when i do!

sam90
Lorien

Apr 29 2013, 4:35pm

Post #17 of 17 (148 views)
Shortcut
BoH [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it's not that long, it's about 30-45 minutes if I recall. It does not take all evening to watch it. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.