Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
HobbitCon impressions, part three

kiwifan
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 5:16pm

Views: 207
Shortcut
HobbitCon impressions, part three [In reply to] Can't Post

This next part in my tale is very late indeed, considering that this smashing event took place four weeks ago, but it is still very much on my mind, and as Akanarichan wrote about a couple of things concerning my adventures, I'd better elucidate... Oh, and shuttling back and forth across town for ten days between my flat and my friends' place where I spent the nights while my mattress was drying out didn't exactly give me the peace of mind I need for writing...

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, Easter Sunday morning. At the Opening Ceremony on Saturday afternoon it had been announced that there would be a special photo session on Sunday afternoon, giving people the chance to have their picture taken with all nine actors in a group. Now I really hate being photographed, being utterly unphotogenic, and had decided not to spend any money on photo sessions and autographs, and 100 euros (about 130 $ US) is a lot of money for just one group picture, but having met all these lovely, dear (see above) men in person, I just couldn't resist. It did require another half tablet of my anti-panic medication though, and I was still nervous about it but Rosie-with-the-ribbons, with whom I waited in line, was quite calm. In fact, Rosie possesses the most amazing equanimity, and I don't think that's due solely to her being quite a Con veteran. It really helped me having her there with me --- thanks again, Rosie! You're a rock! And your outfit was lovely!

As it turned out, I needn't have worried, as the entire thing only took about a minute, no time to feel concerned about looking sheepish, and after welcoming words and smiles from the assembled actors, and positioning myself in the centre, the photographer just said 'smile', the camera went 'click' and the next candidate was ushered in; quite like being processed on an assembly line, really. These poor guys, having to smile for an hour! And that's not counting the individual photo sessions. One can actually get sore facial muscles from smiling a lot (I know this from exprience, having once spent a week on a mini-job as a so-called door greeter in a bookshop in Kansas). Anyway, I survived the ordeal and the picture actually turned out quite well so I was happy. Smile

Having left this photo-session room, I met Akanarichan outside and we happened across Daniel Falconer and Paul Tobin who are truly kind and friendly guys and wrote lovely things in my Sibley book, and Daniel drew Treebeard for Aka. (Their presentation of Weta collectibles on Monday morning was fun, and all those lovely items just too tempting.)
Rosie, Aka and I went on to the DTG room (the German Tolkien Society) where one could take part in a quiz and where the actors showed up a little later to pose in front of the Hobbity background (forgot the motive it depicted) for a picture for the DTG (us mere mortals not being allowed to take photos of them there), clowning around and having fun, by the look of it, and consequently so did we, watching their antics. Wink

And since this photo-thing had been so gratifying and painless, I threw all financial caution to the winds and bought vouchers for autographs from all the actors, which I collected in their respective chapters of my Sibley book and which took quite some time since a lot of people had the same intention. While waiting in line and once finished with the autographs, I took quite a number of snapshots (except of Sylvester McCoy as we'd been warned by the HobbitCon staff that he wouldn't like it), most of which I had to delete as I was still too trembly (so much for the anti-panic medication's effect Unsure). I was so flown not with alcohol (which I hadn't had) but with sheer joy that I actually asked for and got a couple of hugs from two of said lovely etc. men --- blame it on Sylvester McCoy who had set a dangerous precedent concerning hugs in his panel the previous evening, as described by Rosie. I then carried my precious book up to my room and lay down on my bed to digest all these happenings, and also to have some food (bringing some of my own saved me standing in line for the buffet and sitting down or stand at a table, both of which is hard on my back). So I had a much-needed rest before the Game Show.

Subject User Time
Just back from HobbitCon Rosie-with-the-ribbons Send a private message to Rosie-with-the-ribbons Apr 1 2013, 7:17pm
    *applauds* tarasaurus Send a private message to tarasaurus Apr 1 2013, 8:13pm
    It sounds like you had a blast. :D / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 1 2013, 8:44pm
    * turns into green eyed monster* elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 1 2013, 10:39pm
    *applause* TariArFiniel Send a private message to TariArFiniel Apr 2 2013, 6:55am
    Sounds like you had the most amazing time! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 2 2013, 10:30am
        Control yourself (or rather, not controlling yourself) in which way? kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 12 2013, 2:33pm
    Fantastic - thanks for sharing it with us all! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Apr 3 2013, 2:14am
    "Wow" is right! Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Apr 3 2013, 3:17am
    What an experience! Laguz Send a private message to Laguz Apr 3 2013, 12:42pm
        Hooray - great report! entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Apr 3 2013, 12:54pm
        I need to go!!! tarasaurus Send a private message to tarasaurus Apr 3 2013, 2:17pm
        Fabulous report! Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Apr 4 2013, 2:29am
            You guys can't half talk XD Autumn Send a private message to Autumn Apr 4 2013, 10:04pm
                woot! Laguz Send a private message to Laguz Apr 4 2013, 10:57pm
                    I did blame you! Autumn Send a private message to Autumn Apr 5 2013, 9:41am
                        Hi Autumn --- welcome to TORn! Yay! Yes, I'm back kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 5 2013, 9:50pm
                Welcome Rosie-with-the-ribbons Send a private message to Rosie-with-the-ribbons Apr 5 2013, 6:33am
                You have a floor map of Bag End??!! kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 6 2013, 8:54pm
                    yep! Laguz Send a private message to Laguz Apr 6 2013, 9:38pm
                        Gift codes for what precisely? kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 6 2013, 10:00pm
                            :D Laguz Send a private message to Laguz Apr 7 2013, 8:24am
                                That's great! kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 12 2013, 2:19pm
    Rosie, THIS is really fabulous stuff! silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Apr 6 2013, 2:40am
    Thanks for the report ByThorinsBeard Send a private message to ByThorinsBeard Apr 7 2013, 6:36pm
        Spoilers? Galasriniel Send a private message to Galasriniel Apr 11 2013, 1:57am
            I really have no idea kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 12 2013, 2:25pm
    HobbitCon impressions, part one kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 12 2013, 3:14pm
    HobbitCon impressions, part two kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 12 2013, 5:00pm
        Thank you for the wonderful report! entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Apr 13 2013, 10:09pm
            =) its was so awesome Akanarichan Send a private message to Akanarichan Apr 17 2013, 4:28pm
                Great! entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Apr 18 2013, 2:43am
                    All of " Your Breathless..Stream-Of-Conscience--zz.. Writing"' really PUTS US there... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Apr 23 2013, 1:20am
                If I remember correctly kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 28 2013, 4:24pm
    HobbitCon impressions, part three kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan Apr 28 2013, 5:16pm
    HobbitCon impressions, part four kiwifan Send a private message to kiwifan May 20 2013, 5:29pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.