Peter Jackson
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

nothinglikethesun
Rivendell

Dec 19 2007, 9:08pm

Post #1 of 35 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson Can't Post

I am so angry with Peter Jackson!! Who cares about a TinTin movie?!? Why is he not willing to FIGHT for the directorship of THE HOBBIT. Where is the old Peter Jackson? I think the diet did something to him.

karen
The Shire

Dec 19 2007, 9:31pm

Post #2 of 35 (1004 views)
Shortcut
I would wait for Jackson no matter what! [In reply to] Can't Post

If he committed to Tin Tin then he should fulfill that and then do the Hobbit, I would wait for Jackson no matter what!!!

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 9:46pm

Post #3 of 35 (978 views)
Shortcut
Put this in the poll thread below. [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 10:04pm

Post #4 of 35 (977 views)
Shortcut
What if Jackson likes TinTin more than The Hobbit? // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Dec. 17-23 for "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony".

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 10:20pm

Post #5 of 35 (1045 views)
Shortcut
You CAN''T be serious, Brigand! [In reply to] Can't Post

From the guy who has Bag End in his backyard?
Are you busting my chops? Really? Tongue

BTW I've been perusing another big site (HERESY I know) and a post from yesterday claimed to have a contact fairly high up the corporate ladder who specifically said that PJ and Fran's involvement would be minimal--the "only "lending their names" part is accurate.

However you feel about PJ directing, consider this without Fran or Philippa. No script. You want the songs? There's be NO Philippa poetry or Fran adaptations collaborated with Howard Shore. Consider this for starters....

CAhobbit
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 35 (983 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps.... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ is just not interested in being that invovled. LOTR took up about 8 + years of his life (along with Fran and perhaps Phillipa {I can't recall if she was right there at the beginning, I believe she was}). And though it's evident that everyone involved with the project loved it, one has to think that after spending 8 + years on a film it would cause one to want to do other things. I can't fault PJ, Fran or Phillipa for taking a sitting back position with "The Hobbit". I think PJ and all did a great job with LOTR but I'm not opposed to seeing another directors vision.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 10:55pm

Post #7 of 35 (942 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

He may be worn out from Middle-earth. Though he doesn't strike me as the type to get worn out by anything; he reminds me of the energizer bunny.

And in the end, I respect him that he has prior commitments that he does not want to just throw away. Now, if Spielberg (IIRC) didn't mind him delaying the TinTin film, I'd encourage PJ to jump on the Middle-earth train once more as the conductor ^^

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 11:00pm

Post #8 of 35 (984 views)
Shortcut
Lots of people who love LotR don't like The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

A fair number of people here want to turn The Hobbit into a prequel for LotR, rather than letting it work on its own terms. Conceivably Jackson could have been quite pleased with how the Shire scenes in his LotR movie turned out (I would stress that the design looks only a little like the image of Hobbiton painted by Tolkien) but doesn't care much for the earlier work.

If the other site is TORC, which is one place that Lidless posted the "lending their names" comment, I think you'll find that he himself later noted that was his own phrasing, not that of his "sauce" at New Line (diedye also mentioned this here, far down the page).

No Shore score would be no big loss, in my view.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Dec 19 2007, 11:23pm

Post #9 of 35 (977 views)
Shortcut
well, I really hope PJ DOES direct but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if he makes the choice to be involved on production only that's his call. At least we can guarantee a great script, WETA magic, the crucial players involved (ie Ian McKellen) and the splendour of NZ for the sets. In a perfect world (for me, not for all, I realise) PJ would also be director but we can't necessarily have everything - though I'm still keeping my fingers crossed...! (If I *could* have everything I'd also be playing a lead role in the movie - anyone got a problem with a female Bilbo?!) Wink

I'm also a big Tintin fan (though of course it's not right up there with LotR), so I'm keen to see what he does with those films - and I read the other day that Andy Serkis is going to play Captain Haddock on those movies, so that will be fun!

Meanwhile I missed all the thread yesterday when the news broke, so I missed my chance to go, 'Waahooo, yaaaaayyyy, squeeeee' etc. So I'm just doing that now. Huzzah I say and again huzzah. Grinning like a fool here... Sly

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 11:31pm

Post #10 of 35 (967 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha. [In reply to] Can't Post

You hit it on the nail, Brigand. We are both heretics it seems!Sly And I saw the revision too.

The problem with your argument, CAHobbit, is that this is not 2006. I'd believe the "worn out from ME" idea if the past year had not happened. Peter would not have run to the fans if he had not personally wanted to direct and write. And after the fight he has just put up, I think that even if he really was sick of ME and wanted to pass the reins to someone else a year ago, he'd be so pi**ed off by now that he'd want to be back at the REAL helm of things, just out of spite to Shaye.

I'll bet the studio has a bunch of moles scanning this very site right now....my head is spinning, but I know where MY heart lies. And I'll be letting them know. Someone has provided contact info for everybody in the Poll thread.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Dec 19 2007, 11:36pm)

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Dec 19 2007, 11:32pm

Post #11 of 35 (938 views)
Shortcut
Agreed (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

maegwen
Sr. Staff

Dec 19 2007, 11:51pm

Post #12 of 35 (951 views)
Shortcut
Who's writing that great script? ;) (nt) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 11:59pm

Post #13 of 35 (945 views)
Shortcut
Who's writing those great songs....... [In reply to] Can't Post

with the great Tolkien language lyrics, with Howard Shore? With the great female voices?

Woodyend
Gondor

Dec 20 2007, 12:39am

Post #14 of 35 (953 views)
Shortcut
Pete's reputation is on the line with The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

He will be eviscerated by the fans of the books and movies if this turns out be made as the saying goes with his left hand. No insult intended to all you left hander's out there. It will be a fiasco of monumental proportions (think The Godfather 111) if he lets slip the attention to detail that he had with LOTR movies. No, in my opinion Pete is going to have to take active role in the making of the movies, or risk losing his well deserved reputation and the trust of us fans.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

(This post was edited by Woodyend on Dec 20 2007, 12:41am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 2:19am

Post #15 of 35 (889 views)
Shortcut
I'll join you in your huzzah, gd! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nasty that RL made you late! I've been waiting for you to join in the fun :) You'd be PERFECT for Bilbo!!! You've got my vote :D

Oh... and I'm STILL grinning like a fool, too!!!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

shadowca1964

Dec 20 2007, 2:36am

Post #16 of 35 (913 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is A prequel in every Sense of the Word [In reply to] Can't Post

There are no if/and/buts that Peter Jackson should adapt "The Hobbit" as a prequel. While I Ithroughly enjoyed The LOTR Trilogy, I was extreemly disappointed with the amount of artisitic license he took with the second and third movies. He changed entire plot lines and did not include others. How he dealt with Suriman in the movie was the worst. He dies too early in the movie therefore not show what further cruelty he inflicted before his death. He never even mentions the hObbits return to a changed Shire that heeds to fought for to return it back to what it was. The Army of the Dead was another major sticking point. Aragon released them after they helped defeat the Corsairs of Umbar in the southern fiefs. They never helped defend\defeat the forces of Mordor at Minas Tirith. There are other points with characters given wrong lines.He lessened the importance of characters like Gimli and Legolas while chupping the importance of others (contrary to the books)
As to how they are going to get two movies out of one story I have no idea. The hobbit is rather straight foward even to the end. The only thing I can see as far as the second movie, is that is going to fill in missing gaps of time and events between the Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Rings.
Let us see how Peter Jackson and friends adopt this story as a screenplay. Let us see how much artisitc license he takes with the movie now that he has settled with New Line and has come to an agreement to tak on The Hobbit

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2007, 2:37am

Post #17 of 35 (866 views)
Shortcut
You just want to get your hands on that sparkly mithril shirt!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to go to work today,
But the master of the whip says nay, nay, nay.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 2:40am

Post #18 of 35 (890 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking that this week's move [In reply to] Can't Post

is the first in a series of steps or maneuvers before this is entirely settled. It's been a marathon just to get to this point! It ain't over yet! ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

nothinglikethesun
Rivendell

Dec 20 2007, 2:51am

Post #19 of 35 (864 views)
Shortcut
Worn out? [In reply to] Can't Post

You wrote "PJ is just not interested in being that invovled. LOTR took up about 8 + years of his life". Well, it has taken up over 30 years of my life, and every passing year becomes richer because of it.

nothinglikethesun
Rivendell

Dec 20 2007, 2:54am

Post #20 of 35 (882 views)
Shortcut
movie changes [In reply to] Can't Post

While he did stray from the book, the changes were necessary for the films. Read Tom Shippey's comments on script doctoring in his ROOTS and BRANCHES Collection.

nothinglikethesun
Rivendell

Dec 20 2007, 2:57am

Post #21 of 35 (877 views)
Shortcut
Is that true? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never met anyone who loves the LOTRs (books) that didn't like The Hobbit.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 20 2007, 3:24am

Post #22 of 35 (870 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you scan the messages over the past two days or five years, you'll find examples.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 20 2007, 3:36am

Post #23 of 35 (882 views)
Shortcut
Shippey is not the last word. [In reply to] Can't Post

No one is, of course.

Shippey's essay in Roots and Branches was earlier printed in at least one other collection. It received some late replies here and here on the Mythopoeic Society e-mail list. I imagine the replies could themselves be rebutted, in various ways.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 20 2007, 3:42am

Post #24 of 35 (866 views)
Shortcut
Not as originally written. [In reply to] Can't Post

And apart from the fifth chapter, the changes made for the second and third editions were relatively minor. Tolkien began very serious revisions that would have brought at least the tone of The Hobbit in line with LotR, but he abandoned them. The book is its own story, and overplaying connections to LotR would lose the point of the story.

It's odd, though: your subject line has almost nothing to do with the text of your post.

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 20 2007, 3:45am

Post #25 of 35 (860 views)
Shortcut
that would be me, for one :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I don't hate Hobbit. I just don't really enjoy it. For context, I've read LOTR almost every year for the last 38 years, and for the first couple of those years I read it over and over. So I've read LOTR a lot.

I've read Hobbit twice in adulthood, once only to keep up with the RR discussions. And I couldn't sustain interest.

I'm not suggesting my personal opinion is the majority one, but there are Tolkien fans who vastly prefer his other writings. For me, Hobbit is a nice children's story without the emotional and spiritual lift I get from LOTR.

I do plan on watching the movie the very day it comes out, though!! Cool Oh my, yes.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.
~~~Landrum Bolling

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.