Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What is Dwalin saying?

Bellerock
Rivendell

Apr 27 2013, 4:46pm

Views: 1229
Shortcut
What is Dwalin saying? Can't Post

Okay, so I've been watching my dvd of the movie with subtitles on. It's fun, because there is a lot of dialog going on in the background that I never caught in the theater. (Yes, Bombur does speak.) However, at the end of the escape from Goblin Town, just after the dwarves fall down an impossibly long shaft while clinging to bits of scaffolding, Bofur says "Well, that could have been worse." Then the Great Goblin flops down on top of them and Dwalin says "Haver! You've got to be joking!" So my question is what does "haver" mean? Considering the circumstances it might not be very polite, or is it just a typo?Wink

Subject User Time
What is Dwalin saying? Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Apr 27 2013, 4:46pm
    "Haver" is a Scottish slang term sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 27 2013, 4:58pm
        Oh, Interesting! Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Apr 27 2013, 5:02pm
    One that annoys me - the "Scarf 'em I say" subtitles should say "Scoff 'em" QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 27 2013, 5:19pm
        Yup. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 27 2013, 6:39pm
            Scoff came first... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 27 2013, 7:14pm
                Say scoff in an American accent. It sounds a bit like scarf // QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 28 2013, 8:42am
                    Which one? Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Apr 28 2013, 8:45am
                    People say scoff in America all the time, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 28 2013, 11:56am
            I'd never heard of the term 'scarf down' until now! Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Apr 27 2013, 9:57pm
                Not hyphenated Kristin Thompson Send a private message to Kristin Thompson Apr 28 2013, 4:50pm
                    'Tis true! Aragalen the Green Send a private message to Aragalen the Green Apr 28 2013, 5:12pm
        "Scoff" in American English means "to ridicule something" Lissuin Send a private message to Lissuin Apr 27 2013, 7:38pm
            Scoff also means to ridicule an idea or someone in English English too! MadgeBishop Send a private message to MadgeBishop Apr 27 2013, 8:45pm
            'Scoff' is also used in this way in Britain. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Apr 27 2013, 9:59pm
                One of my favorite things about TORn burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Apr 28 2013, 1:49am
    I haven't tried watching it with the subtitles yet Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Apr 27 2013, 5:41pm
        You're right about the subtitles not always being what is said. Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Apr 27 2013, 6:48pm
            Nor do they always have the speaker correct! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 27 2013, 9:43pm
    Interesting...what is Bombur's dialogue? Something concerning food, one would imagine? // Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Apr 27 2013, 7:03pm
        Well, Bombur is mentioned three or four times. Bellerock Send a private message to Bellerock Apr 27 2013, 10:39pm
            Ah, thanks Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Apr 28 2013, 3:44pm
                I would be very surprised... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 28 2013, 5:19pm
                    This is what I meant, as the background Dwarf chatter was most likely (largely) unscripted...the script of course is used when possible./ Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Apr 28 2013, 5:25pm
                        What makes you think the background chatter is "most likely unscripted"? Kirly Send a private message to Kirly Apr 28 2013, 7:06pm
                            Em, that's almost always the case when they make a movie... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Apr 28 2013, 7:45pm
    Gibberish Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Apr 27 2013, 10:52pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.