Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Putting music to the words

Erúmer
The Shire

Apr 27 2013, 2:23pm

Post #1 of 19 (328 views)
Shortcut
Putting music to the words Can't Post

Hello! I apologise if what I post has been here before, I'm still a wee little newbie Smile But I was looking for some varied opinions on the subject of reading the LotR trilogy...while listening to the soundtrack for the movies. Sometimes it enhances the effect amazingly, like the Riders of Rohan soundtrack while reading that very chapter, but then the music and words slip into dischord and it ruins it. I was wondering if anybody else experimented with this, and what you have tried and liked?

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 5:39pm

Post #2 of 19 (229 views)
Shortcut
Interesting post Erumer! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have done this myself - the effect for me is a bit uneven, because when I am reading and immersed I just stop hearing anything (or anyone- ask my husband..!) so it will be an unpredictable sort of thing, where occasionally I will 'look up' from the book and randomly hear a song. You are right about the disunity - if it's a completely different passage, it can be a bit odd. When it randomly is the same its a wonderful, wonderful effect. I have found myself skipping around a bit, especially in TTT when Gandalf rides to Helm's Deep, to read that part while that fabulous music is playing. Also the Ride of the Rohirrim. Haven't done it in a while, as the soundtracks now live in my car (and I will need to buy my FOURTH ROTK copy soon, mine is starting to fail again).

We use the soundtracks as background when we play RPGs - THAT is a great use of the music, and I purposely do try to 'time' certain pieces to be playing for key parts in the gaming.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Erúmer
The Shire

Apr 27 2013, 5:51pm

Post #3 of 19 (221 views)
Shortcut
RPG [In reply to] Can't Post

Ooh, that does sound like an excellent use for the music Cool maybe I should try that. What exactly do you mean when you say RPG? I play D&D but only have the opportunity when my friend, who has the equipment, has time.

Yeah, I do that as well, and when the music and passages are in harmony, I can focus on both at the same time, but in dischord, I ignore one Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 6:00pm

Post #4 of 19 (209 views)
Shortcut
D and D 2nd edition is my poison! [In reply to] Can't Post

We started playing again a few years ago after a hiatus (because of having small children) because the kids (no longer small) asked us to ply that *cool* Retro game they heard about...so out it all my goodies came! So much fun sharing it with our teens. They drag friends in too which is great. I have seen two of the 'boyfriends' suddenly get interested in Tolkien Smile

Try it! It's an awesome backdrop and really sets the mood. Although all 3 LOTR tracks on random (unless I am 'timing') are the bulk of the sound, I also use Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Jurassic Park (original), Aquitanian chant, and for darker campaigns the Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack.

I know about technical difficulties - getting everyone together on the same night is the hardest part isn't it?

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Erúmer
The Shire

Apr 27 2013, 6:07pm

Post #5 of 19 (214 views)
Shortcut
That's great :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome that your kids enjoy the game Wink I'm a bit notorious for coming up with the craziest but functional solutions to any obstacles the DM sets up.

I sure will! Thanks so much for the suggestions! And yep, at least one person is always missing whenever we get together because everyone's so busy.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 6:13pm

Post #6 of 19 (205 views)
Shortcut
You sound like a fun player Erumer! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wink I'm a bit notorious for coming up with the craziest but functional solutions to any obstacles the DM sets up.

I sure will! Thanks so much for the suggestions! And yep, at least one person is always missing whenever we get together because everyone's so busy.

Ha you sound like my far-too-clever nieces! And yes, the ol' "conveniently random sleep spell" cover sometimes comes out for a missing player...! Sometimes they carry them about, sometimes they stash the sleeping character somewhere. Never know how it will go...or if that player will wake up with an interesting and amusing (for me) curse. Evil

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 6:49pm

Post #7 of 19 (197 views)
Shortcut
Our current campain is AD&D Second Edition (Skills & Powers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I did recently have a pleasant experience at a local gaming con with a playtest scenario for D&D Next (still in development). I am looking forward to the game's release--whenever that ends up occurring.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 9:00pm

Post #8 of 19 (189 views)
Shortcut
Just curious O-S, about your campaign design... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you write your own campaigns, use modules or mix it up? I do a mix, where I create the world and the cardinal campaign but if I see a written module that I like for some reason I slot it in, with modifications. Just wondering how you work...the scratch stuff is great but the kids sometimes chew through my material so fast it helps having backup sometimes.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 10:33am

Post #9 of 19 (175 views)
Shortcut
Do you ever try other music? If so, what works for you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't say I read & listen simultaneously: one seems to drive the other out, like Brethil says.

Recently, I began to think that John Tavener's "Protecting Veil" was quite Tolkienish.

Here's a link to the album on Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/album/35dkwtH35tW2tRyTJk8iW3

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 11:46am

Post #10 of 19 (175 views)
Shortcut
i've never tried it [In reply to] Can't Post

.. but i think i might find each too distracting for the other.

i don't read anything, really, while listening to music (excepting for reading, say, a breezy magazine article with instrumental music in the background, or the sunday paper-ish scenario).

i also have a hard time doing anything else while listening to music. i don't listen to music while i'm working... i just get too engrossed in the music. some exceptions are... working on something that is primarily a visual work, while listening to music. i do that, sometimes.

also, when i write, i occasionally will have mood music on in the background. i did this for a freelance article i wrote on the music of the lord of the rings.

but, very neat idea!

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 28 2013, 11:48am)

imin
Valinor

Apr 28 2013, 12:26pm

Post #11 of 19 (182 views)
Shortcut
LOTR audiobook [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a person who makes a lotr audiobook on youtube who mixes the words with music and sounds from the movies - works really well.

I think if he had more time and money he could get the sound levels between his voice and background sounds just right and would be excellent.

Does anyone ever here music when they are reading the book, certain passages create imagery that gets accompanied by music? I know for myself that can happen from time to time, curious to know if it does for anyone else!

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 28 2013, 10:18pm

Post #12 of 19 (151 views)
Shortcut
Horns and Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Does anyone ever here music when they are reading the book, certain passages create imagery that gets accompanied by music? I know for myself that can happen from time to time, curious to know if it does for anyone else!

The two times when I most certainly feel the music is a real part of the imagery are 1) when the horns are blown at Helm's Deep ("...as if on every cliff and hill a mighty herald stood.") and 2) when the Rohirrim arrive at Minas Tirith.

Those are isolated events, whereas all the time the Fellowship is in Caras Galadhon, the imagery to me always includes a constant, low murmur of singing in the background. I can't even imagine it otherwise.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2013, 1:35am

Post #13 of 19 (151 views)
Shortcut
All you gamers... [In reply to] Can't Post

should start a discussion on listening to music while playing in the Gaming forum where more of your fellow gamers might see it. Could turn out to be a fun thread there. Smile

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 2:24am

Post #14 of 19 (134 views)
Shortcut
Reply - Our current campaign world... [In reply to] Can't Post

Our current AD&D campaign is set on a world called Carillon--a seltting originally created by the elder brothers of our friend and fellow gamer Helen. My wife Tayna is our current gamemaster. She mixes her own original game scenarios with elements from published adventures. One on-and-off game is set in the dungeons of the Diablo MMORG (using an AD&D subliment based on that game).

We try to get together weekly, but often end up skipping a week or more between sessions. We had a long stretch over the winter when we weren't gaming at all.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 19 (123 views)
Shortcut
Good idea, thanks Silverlode! [In reply to] Can't Post

From the mouths of the Modar....Smile Might put that together tomorrow.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 29 2013, 3:31pm

Post #16 of 19 (119 views)
Shortcut
We had a winter hiatus too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Between weather and school commitments with the kids. I set things up very much like your Tanya does. I think I might take Silverlode's advice and start a discussion on gaming background music (and what to bale to bribe the DM...!) later this week over in Gaming.

Brennil Caladiel
The Shire

Apr 29 2013, 5:01pm

Post #17 of 19 (118 views)
Shortcut
Is this it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this the one you are thinking of? Because I've been listening to it when I have time and, thought it isn't professionally done, I find it very good. You all should check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/...t=PLE137F361D68B836E

imin
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 10:08pm

Post #18 of 19 (106 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that's the one :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you i think it's great and would recommend it to anyone.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 3 2013, 5:11pm

Post #19 of 19 (96 views)
Shortcut
Chanting [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of Tolkien poems/songs I imagined in a chant or tempo, but not much of soundtrack along.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.