Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Transition

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Apr 27 2013, 10:11am

Post #1 of 19 (922 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Transition Can't Post

What are your notable transitions/segues in the film?

I'm continually drawn to the seque of Frodo getting the mail, after Bilbo's introduction
of BagEnd and its good life. That first real panaroma of the shire and its perspective and
accompanying music is evocative, especially when juxtaposed with the misfortunes
told in the Erebor prologue. IMO, it's a real savvy way to bring the viewer back to the place
and time of Bilbo's recollection, and it gives a purpose to it as well.

Additionally, it invites the viewer to think toward the reemergence of characters hinted at in Erebor.
This hinge scene of the Shire clearly transports us to a different place and aura of contented
familiarity and safety. Yet in it's evocation exists the impression of preceding Erebor and how the two
perspective reach confluence.

What transition scenes do you enjoy?

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2013, 10:43am

Post #2 of 19 (485 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure this will get a lot of mentions, [In reply to] Can't Post

but i really like the double transition of Bilbo falling asleep to the dwarves singing Misty Mountains as the smoke goes up the chimney and the sparks fly into the night, then him waking up to an empty hobbit hole and realizing he should go on that adventure after all, and then cutting to him running out the door and through Hobbiton with that brilliant version of the hobbit theme playing. One of my favorite moments in the film-- love that overhead shot of Bilbo running along the criss-crossing paths.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 27 2013, 11:04am

Post #3 of 19 (495 views)
Shortcut
In the prologue, [In reply to] Can't Post

The little girl watching her doll burn, then cut to the Dwarves making their stand against the dragon- something about that transition always works so well.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 27 2013, 11:06am

Post #4 of 19 (454 views)
Shortcut
100% agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also the switch of music at this point is marvellous.

dijomaja
Lorien

Apr 27 2013, 11:35am

Post #5 of 19 (449 views)
Shortcut
a "coulda been" favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm part of that small (but unfortunately vocal) minority that sees TH as a "minor essay in the craft" but there are a few really good scenes in the book.

My favorite is probably the part when Bilbo feels something "Tookish" stirring. He's moved by the singing of the Dwarves and hears the call of something bigger than his comfortable life.

It's all internal and beautifully described so it would have been difficult to practice the "show, don't tell" aspect of screenwriting but it could have been done.

I could imagine a shot of Bilbo looking around the empty rooms with their orderly arrangements as an echo of the Dwarves' song plays in the background.

Maybe in the EE.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 27 2013, 12:37pm

Post #6 of 19 (436 views)
Shortcut
Transition to Good Morning [In reply to] Can't Post

That smoke ring that is a butterfly I think that goes u and comes down and tickles the young Bilbo's nose. And the run from Bag End "I'm Going On an Adventure". We had not seen Hobbiton from the air and it was so beautiful and the music was perfect. The opening out of the Hobbit theme was spectacular.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2013, 2:31pm

Post #7 of 19 (384 views)
Shortcut
I thought the scene [In reply to] Can't Post

showing Bilbo sitting on his bed listening to the dwarves sing shows that he is moved by their song. I think it's his body language (seen here) that makes me think Bilbo is daydreaming and rather wistful, as if the Took in him is wondering what could be... Since in the next scene he seems to have fallen asleep against his will, across his bed still wearing his clothes, I like to think that, as in the book, he fell asleep listening to the singing/humming of the dwarves.

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Apr 27 2013, 2:34pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 27 2013, 4:30pm

Post #8 of 19 (318 views)
Shortcut
Song of the Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

…with Bilbo sitting in front of the fire, then the sparkles rising from the chimney, and the transition to the peace and quiet of the morning, with that lovely light and the guttering candle.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 27 2013, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 19 (312 views)
Shortcut
Favourite? Well, there are many ... [In reply to] Can't Post

transitions that I liked.

The doll burning in the prologue was great, especially the music change.
Also the transition from Thror's gold-sickness to the coming of Smaug. That kite-dragon's burning had so many meanings at different layers.

Also liked the transition from "over hill" to the stone-giants. The shift in music was so cool. Going from epic to scary

Yeah, I liked the scene of Bilbo getting asleep from the song of the dwarves and his waking up and then his cross-country running. Loved to get an eagle's-eye view of the Shire!

What I loved the most was the transition from Old Bilbo to young Bilbo. The good morning scene. The smoke butterfly, the young Bilbo's introduction and his expression when he is at peace and always great to see good old Gandalf the Grey. I love the scene, as I do most of the first hour.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2013, 6:30pm

Post #10 of 19 (290 views)
Shortcut
Yes, of course the night before into the morning after... [In reply to] Can't Post

but also the Eagles flight out of the dramatic tension of the escape from the burning trees, soaring gently into the calm vista of a new day dawning....sheer bliss! Heart

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2013, 7:23pm

Post #11 of 19 (283 views)
Shortcut
The dramatic change of tone inside Bag End. [In reply to] Can't Post

This whole long, leisurely sequence in Bag End is my favorite part of the film. There is a transition within a transition. We go from giddy, manic, dwarvish exhuberance which ends with the teasing quip "Think furnace with wings" and Bilbo fainting, to a much more subdued hobbit hole and two private conversations about the chances of success for the adventure. The outcome of that is that Bilbo tells Gandalf he's got the wrong hobbit. His is the voice of caution that the dwarves have been, perhaps subconsciously, making too much noise to hear.

But the next time we see Bilbo, he's listening to the Lonely Mountain song with the first stirrings of wanderlust and longing. The dwarves have finally got his attention, and his defenses start to come down. The tables have been turned again, this time in favour of the unknown.

This painting was posted on the fan art forum some time ago. It's still one of my favorite images of that moment. With thanks to DartGarry.
http://browse.deviantart.com/...warfs-song-213098461

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2013, 10:02pm

Post #12 of 19 (251 views)
Shortcut
Neat way to think about favorite bits. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not *those* kind of favourite bits... Tongue

My absolute favourite is the transition between the boisterous hilarity of "Blunt the Knives" to the dignified, grand entrance of Thorin. The transition from the raucous laughing at the end of the song to the immediate sombre silence when they hear the knocking at the door is brilliant. It's a perfect set-up for the contrast between Thorin and the rest of the Dwarves, and really a stroke of brilliance on PJ's part to have Thorin enter after all the wild silliness of the Party.

I too love the transition between the sparks going up into the sky at the end of "Misty Mountains", to Bilbo waking up the next morning. There's smoke from a candle in Bilbo's bedroom at about the same place on the screen as the sparks were moments before, emphasizing the transition in some metaphorical way, I think. The sparks of burning desire, longing and sorrow have faded by morning to a smoky memory. Or something like that!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 10:36pm

Post #13 of 19 (241 views)
Shortcut
Gotta stay mixed-audience friendly Ro.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not *those* kind of favourite bits... Tongue

...so we can't talk about those here. Evil Ahem

I see S-D posted about this upthread - Bilbo 'relieved' that the danger is gone, the Dwarves have left (even checking the chimney)...and the soft focus on the door, and the Contract...he looks at the door again... next he is flying long the path. I love seeing him jump over the fence, shot from the ground. Great.

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

cats16
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 12:36am

Post #14 of 19 (235 views)
Shortcut
Sort-of transition [In reply to] Can't Post

When Gandalf says "The valley of Imladris", followed by Bilbo's "Rivendell", and then we're shown the valley from above their heads.

Actually, scratch that. Smile I'll say my transition even starts when the Company walks out onto the ledge, before the valley is shown to the audience. The music at this moment is so incredible at this point, for me. So amazing and beautiful.

Also, I would pick the transition to the eagles' rescue on the cliff ledge. Once again, such incredible music to accompany the visuals here. Seeing that moth again gave me chills immediately. I knew what (or who, really) was coming next!

Just another little moment that I felt like I had to include, which is when the eagle picks up Thorin's body. Every time I see this 10-15 seconds, I am simply taken back even more than the previous time.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 3:01am

Post #15 of 19 (210 views)
Shortcut
This... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just another little moment that I felt like I had to include, which is when the eagle picks up Thorin's body. Every time I see this 10-15 seconds, I am simply taken back even more than the previous time.

I just love the eagles more and more every time i watch this film-- how they quickly deal with the wargs, how they pick up each member of the company, the music, the imagery. It's almost my favorite part of AUJ, topped only by Riddles in the Dark/Bilbo's compassion.

alienorchid
Lorien

Apr 28 2013, 8:45am

Post #16 of 19 (188 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen TH in a while now, [In reply to] Can't Post

so it's hard to remember specifics, but I really like the bit in Riddles in the Dark where the light of Sting goes out, and when Bilbo looks back at Gollum's rock... he's gone!

It's so simple, but those two little scenes side by side show you that Gollum is a) a stone cold killer and b) he's coming to get you Bilbo right now.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Apr 28 2013, 8:52am

Post #17 of 19 (184 views)
Shortcut
Spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

When they ran away after their attack on Rhosgobel (sp?).

The passing of wagers (including Gandalf) as the Company left Hobbiton.

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Apr 28 2013, 10:57am

Post #18 of 19 (193 views)
Shortcut
Transitions [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That first real panaroma of the shire and its perspective and
accompanying music is evocative, especially when juxtaposed with the misfortunes
told in the Erebor prologue.

This is one of my favorites too, starting with "The young dwarf prince" to "He never forgave, and he never forgot." After all that tragedy, bitterness, and struggle...we come to the complete peace and tranquility of the Shire.

In Reply To

I'm continually drawn to the seque of Frodo getting the mail, after Bilbo's introduction
of BagEnd and its good life.

About this scene...I have been wondering why the words from the book were changed from "and that means comfort" to "the comforts of home"--and I think it's because of Frodo, who comes out of the pantry just at that moment. The writers wanted to let us know (in case we didn't already) that Frodo lives there in Bilbo's home, and that he's one of his sources of comfort. Heart Just reinforcement of that good life.
Many of my favorites are already listed (Misty Mts. song/next morning, Blunt the Knives/Thorin's arrival, Out of the Frying Pan/Eagles' Flight, thinking about the contract/running out of the Shire), but I have a few more...
The transition between the remainder of the dwarves falling in the door and Bilbo's "Gandalf" to the mass chaos of raiding Bilbo's pantry and the meal (No help came from the wizard that day...)
The transition between Balin's flashback/retelling of the battle of Azanulbizar and the present day, when Thorin turns around and finds the dwarves standing, staring at him in awe.
The transitional scene at Rivendell after Gloin's "In that case, lead on." We get a picture of two microcosms in a few short lines...Ori, Dori, Oin, and Dwalin not adjusting very well to Elvish culture, and a joking Elrond to Gandalf about being dressed for dinner: "You never are..."
The transition between Gollum's "He stole it!" when he comes after Bilbo and the Great Goblin's song--"Bones will be shattered, necks will be wrung," equally about deadly danger.
The transitional flight of the thrush, between the reconciliation at the Carrock and...Smaug!

But my favorite has to be the transition between Dale burning and Smaug's attack on Erebor...not because of the flaming doll (although I like that) but because of this line: "His eye was on another prize"--and the camera focuses in on Thorin. The voice of the narrator goes on to say "For dragons covet majestic hair with a dark and fierce desire." Or something like that. I'll have to check the subtitles. Evil Angelic

"I left the night, with its remote and singing stars, and came in, to the glow of the fire, and the chair where he had been sitting, and the unstrung harp." --The Last Enchantment

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2013, 12:12pm

Post #19 of 19 (187 views)
Shortcut
This bit gives me chills. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really like the bit in Riddles in the Dark where the light of Sting goes out, and when Bilbo looks back at Gollum's rock... he's gone!

It's so simple, but those two little scenes side by side show you that Gollum is a) a stone cold killer and b) he's coming to get you Bilbo right now.

It's like something from a horror movie. Very effective.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.