Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is Esgaroth where Lake town is.???

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 25 2013, 3:14am

Post #1 of 14 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Is Esgaroth where Lake town is.??? Can't Post

I'm just a bit confused as to where Laketown is in the prologue, is it in Esgaroth.??

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 3:25am

Post #2 of 14 (629 views)
Shortcut
Esgaroth is Lake-town [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both names for the same place. The official name is Esgaroth upon the Long Lake but the people nicknamed it Lake-town.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 25 2013, 3:37am

Post #3 of 14 (530 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I now have a better understanding.Cool
Is Esgaroth larger than Dale.Is it like the Cair andros to the Minis Tirith type thing.?

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Apr 25 2013, 3:39am)

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 3:44am

Post #4 of 14 (513 views)
Shortcut
I think it was smaller [In reply to] Can't Post

Lake-town was presumably founded by survivors of Dale so it was a faded echo of the glory that the older city had been. I assume Lake-town would have been smaller in size but I'm not positive of that.

(This post was edited by Fredeghar Wayfarer on Apr 25 2013, 3:45am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 25 2013, 8:37am

Post #5 of 14 (411 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a book to check [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm sure it says that there were some settlements around the Lake edge (presumably in ruin when the Dwarves arrive) that pre-date Smaug's attack on Erebor.

Moahunter
Rohan

Apr 25 2013, 9:04am

Post #6 of 14 (453 views)
Shortcut
Lake-town existed before Dale was destroyed. [In reply to] Can't Post

".... but in the great days of old, when Dale in the North was rich and prosperous, they [ the Men who dwelt in Lake-town] had been wealthy and powerful, and there had been fleets of boats on the waters, and some were filled with gold and some with warriors in armour, and there had been wars and deeds which were now only a legend."
TH Ch. X A Warm Welcome.

Ffnir
Rohan

Apr 25 2013, 10:00am

Post #7 of 14 (441 views)
Shortcut
True, but I think in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

the fall of the glory of Dale resulting in laketown will be a theme, because the footage we seen in the sneak peak showed laketown guards looking like Dale guards, only with worn out armor and a not so good looking overall. Plus the refugees from Dale did go in part at least to laketown, since the family of Bard is the Dale royal family

deskp
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 3:55pm

Post #8 of 14 (303 views)
Shortcut
well. [In reply to] Can't Post

They wear similar armor/helmets cause they are related cultures I think.

Like Lake town is an offshoot town to dale.

Also Esgaroth is to laketown what imladris is to rivendell i guess.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Apr 25 2013, 4:39pm

Post #9 of 14 (303 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I always had the impression [In reply to] Can't Post

that Esgaroth and Lake Town are two separate places. Doesn't the book reference the remnants of an older and larger settlement that can be seen when the water of the Long Lake is low? I thought that was Esgaroth, and Lake Town is but a poor shadow of the size and splendor of the earlier city. Another sorrow to blame on the Dragon.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 8:25am

Post #10 of 14 (169 views)
Shortcut
No, Esgaroth is Lake Town [In reply to] Can't Post

clickie Smile

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Bellerock
Rivendell

Apr 27 2013, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 14 (86 views)
Shortcut
I don't mean to be picky here [In reply to] Can't Post

But the link you gave seems to support my point of view. If you read the section under History it says "It's possible that the original Esgaroth was destroyed sometime in the past, and the later Lake-town was it's remnant." That's pretty much what I thought. Although the Dragon isn't mentioned specifically, I'm guessing that having him as a near neighbor may have contributed to the area's decline. What do you think?

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 28 2013, 3:26am

Post #12 of 14 (77 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always read that to mean that Esgaroth was larger before the coming of the dragon, but sections had fallen into disrepair and became derelict as more and more people left, owing to the twin losses of the Dwarves and Dale. It's not uncommon in our world Smile

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 28 2013, 3:39am

Post #13 of 14 (68 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a place called Essex County made up of several townships, one of which contains the Town of Essex. Boundaries have been drawn and redrawn in that place over the years... the Town of Essex was not always part of the township it is now, nor has the entire region always been called Essex.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 28 2013, 4:11am

Post #14 of 14 (73 views)
Shortcut
I do sometimes ;-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep and you can find other examples all over the world Smile

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.