Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**Founders Day Game: Who Are You?**

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2013, 4:12pm

Post #1 of 10 (234 views)
Shortcut
**Founders Day Game: Who Are You?** Can't Post

Happy Founders Day 2013 Everyone!
... "Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?"

The following are some partial phrases by or about a Middle-earth character. See if you can guess who it is :)

EXTRA POINTS if you can tell me where they are. Answers will be posted separately. Results will be posted on Tuesday, April 30th) THANKS FOR PLAYING!

Who are you?

1. "... he was trotting along again, as fast as he could trot, at the end of the line..."

2. "...after a few more groans he got up and helped the hobbit as well as he could."

3. "...he got up as if to depart. But suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air..."

4. "...standing by the pony, sucking his teeth, and staring moodily into the gloom..."

HEY! Where are you? Extra Credit

5. ”There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle."

sample

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 26 2013, 4:14pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2013, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 10 (151 views)
Shortcut
ANSWERS right here :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Who are you?

1. "... he was trotting along again, as fast as he could trot, at the end of the line..."
Answer: Bilbo running behind the Dwarves and Gandalf after escaping the goblins.

Over Hill and Under Hill: The Hobbit
..."Suddenly a sword flashed in its own light. Bilbo saw it go right through the Great Goblin as he stood dumbfounded in the middle of his rage. He fell dead, and the goblin soldiers fled before the sword shrieking into the darkness.
... The sword went back into its sheath. "Follow me quick!" said a voice fierce and quiet; and before Bilbo understood what had happened he was trotting along again, as fast as he could trot, at the end of the line, down more dark passages with the yells of the goblin-hall growing fainter behind him."

2. "...after a few more groans he got up and helped the hobbit as well as he could."
Answer: Thorin helps Bilbo break the Dwarves out of the barrels

A Warm Welcome: The Hobbit
... "Well, are you alive or are you dead?" asked Bilbo quite crossly... "...Are you still in prison, or are you free? If you want food, and if you want to go on with this silly adventure--it's yours after all and not mine--you had better slap your arms and rub your legs and try and help me get the others out while there is a chance!"
... Thorin of course saw the sense of this, so after a few more groans he got up and helped the hobbit as well as he could."

3. "...he got up as if to depart. But suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air..."
Answer: Ghân-buri-Ghân after talking with Théoden and Éomer on approaching Minas Tirith.

The Ride of the Rohirrim
... "Ghân-buri-Ghân squatted down and touched the earth with his horny brow in token of farewell. Then he got up as if to depart. But suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air. A light came in his eyes.
... 'Wind is changing!' he cried, and with that, in a twinkling as it seemed, he and his fellows had vanished in the gloom, never to be seen by any Rider of Rohan again."

4. "...standing by the pony, sucking his teeth, and staring moodily into the gloom..."
Answer: Sam talking to Bill outside the locked doors or Moria.

The Ring Goes South: The Fellowship of the Ring
... "Sam was standing by the pony, sucking his teeth, and staring moodily into the gloom where the river roared stonily below; his desire for adventure was at its lowest ebb.
... 'Bill, my lad,' he said, 'you oughtn't to have took up with us. You could have stayed here and et the best hay till the new grass comes.' Bill swished his tail and said nothing."

5. ”There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle."
Answer: The Company arrives at Rivendell

A Short Rest: The Hobbit
... "And so at last they all came to the Last Homely House, and found its doors flung wide....
... "On they all went, leading their ponies, till they were brought to a good path and so at last to the very brink of the river. It was flowing fast and noisily, as mountain-streams do of a summer evening, when sun has been all day on the snow far up above. There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle....
... ... And so at last they all came to the Last Homely House, and found its doors flung wide."

sample

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2013, 7:46pm

Post #3 of 10 (123 views)
Shortcut
Who am I??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, no, others, okay......
Uhm......
Pffff.....
You know these are hard, right......
?????.....

Uhm.....uhm..... Crazy.....

Thorin (pfew, one I knew at least)

Oh, wait!! This one I know.... but.... ouch,... the name.... He is the leader of the people who live in the hills between Rohan and Gondor and helps the Rohirrim slip past the Orc guards to Pellenor fields! (just read that part of the book, but the name......????)

Sam! (thank goodness there aren't too many ponies in the book, otherwise I would have looked really dumb)

Ha, this one I know, because it is so nicely done in the movie (minus the pony). Rivendell.

Wow, Gramma, this was a tough one. But fun! (and now I have to go reread the books, so next time I can do better Wink)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 26 2013, 8:00pm

Post #4 of 10 (126 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who are you?

Trotter, at the Prancing Pony buffet.

Titus Groan, after Frodo was attacked by gormenghastlies in the Barrow-Ups.

Either Frodo smelling fresh mushrooms at Farmer Maggot’s, or spoiled maggots at Farmer Mushroom’s.

The Watcher in the Water after the Fellowship escapes into Moria.

The Fellowship on Caradhras, though how all nine of them could leading Bill at the same time I’ll never know.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2013, 10:27pm

Post #5 of 10 (111 views)
Shortcut
Nameless? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so, I hope! Smile

1. I think this is Bilbo as they first escape from the goblins, before he's picked up.

2. I think this is one of the Dwarves, but not sure of where!

3. Ghan-buri-ghan!

4. Dear Sam, leaving Rivendell.

5. That's the Rivendell bridge - don't drag your beard in the water! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 26 2013, 11:13pm

Post #6 of 10 (111 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Gramma! These are hard but fun....! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Who are you?

1. "... he was trotting along again, as fast as he could trot, at the end of the line..." TH Bilbo? In Goblin-town.... I think.

2. "...after a few more groans he got up and helped the hobbit as well as he could." Thorin (LOL, I know my Thorin) at the shore after the Barrels land near LakeTown. Wearing a wet clingy shirt too. Smile

3. "...he got up as if to depart. But suddenly he stood looking up like some startled woodland animal snuffling a strange air..." The unlovely Ghan-buri-Ghan as the wind shifts before he runs back into his Forest

4. "...standing by the pony, sucking his teeth, and staring moodily into the gloom..." This has to be Sam - but I don't know where he is...other than next to (I presume) Bill

5. ”There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle."The bridge into Rivendell!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 2:28am

Post #7 of 10 (104 views)
Shortcut
well, I probably won't be able to show my name around here after these answers, but here goes! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Trotter, of course. And he's located at the end of the line. I thought you said these were hard! You must be breaking us in easy...

2. Groaner. And he was down when he said this, which is why had to get up.

3.Snuffles. When he was in some strange air.

4. Moody Teeth Sucker. Standing by his pony in the gloom.

5. The bridle and groom. Who were doing entirely too much horsing around as they walked down the aisle at a very crowded wedding!

Happy Founders Day gramma -- thanks for adding to the fun today, and for all you do around here!

Weaver

Kili
The Shire

Apr 27 2013, 4:19am

Post #8 of 10 (92 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. This is poor Bilbo I believe, after the Company has been caught by Goblins. So basically Bilbo is somewhere under the Misty Mountains...

2. Thorin, on the shores of Lake-town, directly after Bilbo releases him from his barrel.

3. I'm at a loss for this one. Gollum maybe???

4. This is Sam, and I want to say it's outside of Moria, but I could be mistaken.

Extra Credit:
5. I was going to say the Bridge of Khazad-Dum until I read ponies...Crazy In that case it has to be the bridge in Rivendell.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2013, 10:02am

Post #9 of 10 (88 views)
Shortcut
Does it like games? Does it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes it does! *giggles maniacally*

In Reply To

Who are you?

This would be our dear Bilbo, in Goblin-town, before he goes his separate way from the Dwarves.

Oh, if I miss this one I'd be ashamed! Thorin Heart, dripping wet but still oh-so-majestic, having just been released from his barrel by Bilbo, just outside Esgaroth.

Tricksy! Pretty sure this is Ghan-Buri-Ghan, having just met with Théoden and co., while they're journeying on their way to the Battle of Pelennor Fields.

Sam, in Rivendell, just before the newly-formed Fellowship departs. The pony, of course, is Bill. Smile

5. ”There was only a narrow bridge of stone without a parapet, as narrow as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by the bridle." This is the bridge into Rivendell, and the Dwarves, Bilbo, and Gandalf are crossing over it to enter Rivendell.

Thanks for this, gramma! Though I feel like I'm slacking for not putting these answers into limericks...

sador
Half-elven

Apr 28 2013, 10:34am

Post #10 of 10 (74 views)
Shortcut
Not easy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of these are guesses.

I would guess Bilbo, invisibily following the Elves in Mirkwood, in Barrels Out of Bond.

Thorin, after emerging from his Barrel, in A Warm Welcome.

My guess? Ghan-buri-ghan taking his leave at the end of The Ride of the Rohirrim.

That's relatively easy - Sam Gamgee, upon setting out from Rivendell, in The Ring Goes South.

Very tricksy, isn't it? My guess is Thorin and co. crossing the Mitheithil, from The Broken Bridge in the abandoned 1960 rewrite of The Hobbit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.