Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Like or Dislike the idea of the High Fells ?!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

lurtz2010
Rohan

Apr 26 2013, 7:26am

Post #26 of 62 (293 views)
Shortcut
lol would you really not see the movie over it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nazgul being locked in tombs doesn't even have to mean they were killed. Maybe their spirits were just bound by the spells.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 26 2013, 7:26am

Post #27 of 62 (296 views)
Shortcut
Those are forceful explanations. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree movies are made to be stand alone and something different from the books, if necessary. But if PJ changes everything then I see no sense in calling it "the hobbit". The LOTR films were great as stand alones and true to JRRT at the same time.

A) I thought you said the Nazguls are to be resurrected in the high-fells scene? And now you say they have already been resurrected in AUJ. The two are contradictory.

B) So when did the prophecy of the Witch-King come? After he was killed? And even if we assume they are killed in the past, then it goes against many things from LOTR. Like Eleniel said, it's not consistent with the prologue. Aragorn says "They were great Kings of men. Then Sauron the deciever gave them nine rings of power. And they all fell one by one to the power of the Ring passing into the shadow world" (something like that) Which clearly states that the men turned to wraiths when Sauron gave the Rings.

C)I am remembering the mention of Minas Ithil in one of the movies' EEs (I'm not sure). Though this claim is still understandable.

D) I won't miss the movie for just one scene. But if there are a bunch of scenes with super-deviations then I have to think twice. The movie-buff in me wants to. But if the Tolkien-nerd in me gets irritated by that then I'm thinking of DVDs. Sly

In Reply To
You must remember, the movie adaptations are made to be stand-alone creations, they are not the books. To answer your concerns:

A) No problem at all with seeing the Witch-King as an undead wraith in AUJ-- as I said, their resurrection by the Necromancer has already happened by AUJ's timeline.

B) Again, no problem: we can easily suppose (movies) that the nine men were killed in the past. Nothing in the LOTR movies says that they weren't dead at some point; the rings corrupted them as living men, but they could still die and be put into tombs. Only later (movie) were they resurrected by the Necromancer as the Ringwraiths. That is what a "necromancer" does, brings back the dead.

C) There is no Minas Ithil in the movies-- all we ever heard in the LOTR movies was Minas Morgul, and we were never told how or when the Nazgul came there. We thus have 60 years between The Hobbit and FOTR for them to set up shop there.

D) Aw, see it anyway.

(This post was edited by Smeagol Bagginsess on Apr 26 2013, 7:30am)

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 26 2013, 7:55am

Post #28 of 62 (318 views)
Shortcut
Two points, including a (possible) spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

A) No, my original post simply said that they were resurrected by the necromancer. This obviously happened some time well before the High Fells scene, because by the time Gandalf and Radagast come poking around, the High Fells tombs are already in the creepy, abandoned state that we see in the clip. And, of course, Radagast already saw the Witch King in wraith form when he explored Dol Guldur. How long ago they broke out of those tombs is anyone's guess.

B) (Possible Spoiler)

The prophecy of the Witch King's doom will be in DOS...and will be spoken by Tauriel. Philippa Boyens hinted at this part of Tauriel's story arc, when she said that she will do something from out of the Appendices to LOTR that was originally done by another elf. My deduction is that she will be given Glorfindel's line at the end of the Dol Guldur battle (the Witch King and the other wraiths must survive the battle, of course). In the DOS sneak peek there were 1-2 seconds of Tauriel shown fighting orcs in what looked like Dol Guldur (it had broken stone columns and steps), so it seems that she does indeed take part in that fight. And there's a sense of synchronicity about the idea: from one female character (Tauriel) to another (Eowyn). And the writers can also have another chuckle at the expense of Glorfindel fans, as once again his place is taken by a female elf (Arwen in FOTR, Tauriel in The Hobbit). I hope you're not also a diehard Glorfindel fan!Wink

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 26 2013, 8:15am

Post #29 of 62 (288 views)
Shortcut
Poor old Glorfi. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gorfindels' replacement didn't bother me much back then so that won't be too much here as well, I expect. Tongue But that's so unfortunate for the poor guy. Being muffed by a female elf everytime he actually does something. Tchk. Tchk.

As for the tomb sequence, well that does explain then. I haven't seen the scene yet,(and don't want to before the films) only heard about it.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2013, 9:00am

Post #30 of 62 (275 views)
Shortcut
I was wrong about the prologue - that just says 9 were given to mortal men, great kings of old... [In reply to] Can't Post

But you are right about the sequence when Frodo asks Aragorn about them at the Prancing Pony: Aragorn clearly states that they are undead.

Frodo: What are they?

Aragorn: They were once men...great kings of Men. Then Sauron the Deciever gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed they took them without question, one by one to fall into darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgul: Ringwraiths. Neither living nor dead....

The only way this storyline works is if you ignore all Tolkien's carefully laid out history, and believe within the movieverse that the Nazgul were raised from the dead during the 400 years of peace since their bodies were entombed. Crazy

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2013, 9:02am

Post #31 of 62 (308 views)
Shortcut
Now that would make me walk out of the theatre! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

B) (Possible Spoiler)

The prophecy of the Witch King's doom will be in DOS...and will be spoken by Tauriel. Philippa Boyens hinted at this part of Tauriel's story arc, when she said that she will do something from out of the Appendices to LOTR that was originally done by another elf. My deduction is that she will be given Glorfindel's line at the end of the Dol Guldur battle (the Witch King and the other wraiths must survive the battle, of course). In the DOS sneak peek there were 1-2 seconds of Tauriel shown fighting orcs in what looked like Dol Guldur (it had broken stone columns and steps), so it seems that she does indeed take part in that fight. And there's a sense of synchronicity about the idea: from one female character (Tauriel) to another (Eowyn). And the writers can also have another chuckle at the expense of Glorfindel fans, as once again his place is taken by a female elf (Arwen in FOTR, Tauriel in The Hobbit). I hope you're not also a diehard Glorfindel fan!Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 9:20am

Post #32 of 62 (290 views)
Shortcut
Read about Tauriel saying this before... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but forgot about it.

I know many people will scream murder when it comes to this, since Tauriel is even in the movieverse a "lesser" Elf (at least this was hinted in the sneak preview in March), so where should this power come from to foresee such an event.

So I get that argument, but especially the symmetry of Eowyn and Tauriel is something I like... the idea that another female would have this feeling about the Witch-King.

Even if it is not her saying those words... I would love at least SOMEONE saying them. This would actually be a very natural way to make links to LotR without forcing it onto the audience.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Apr 26 2013, 9:41am

Post #33 of 62 (275 views)
Shortcut
"i need a horse" [In reply to] Can't Post

LOOK, i even watched Video Blog 8 and heard the sentence (spoken from McKellen and McCoy) :

Gandalf " I need a horse"
Radagast; "Where are you going?"
Gandalf: "Im searching for answers"

Could this be meant before the High Fells probably ?! Maybe they meet up with Radagast before or after Beorns House...and the "search for answers" fits perfectly to Galadriel mentioning "The riddle of the Morgul Blade must be ANSWERED"...

Could this be a good guess ?!

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 26 2013, 9:53am

Post #34 of 62 (263 views)
Shortcut
Er, could you clarify please ...? [In reply to] Can't Post

...Your post seems to be a non sequitur...the discussion point was whether Tauriel will prophecy the Witch King's doom. We already know that Gandalf will be at the battle of Dol Guldur, and that he probably becomes wounded somehow (Ian McKellen related the joke that they named a dummy of him "Michael Gambon") and must be carried by Galadriel. So, what does his call for a horse have to do with the topic of the prophecy of the Witch King's doom??

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 26 2013, 10:00am

Post #35 of 62 (254 views)
Shortcut
It was filmed on the Mirkwood set [In reply to] Can't Post

So I assume it's around Rhosgobel. Most likely after Gandalf leaves the Company on the eaves of the forest. He probably meets up with Radagast again before heading off to Dol Guldur?

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 26 2013, 10:42am

Post #36 of 62 (253 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

We can say Tauriel is just more or less equal to Legolas, a protector of the wodds. So it's very unfitting (to me) for her if she recites the Witch-King's prophecy.

However, I would like it if it's given by someone worthy. Say Galadriel? She's a female. She's one of the wisest and powerful Elves. She can even foresee somethings of the future in her mirror. So, if the Witch-King's prophecy is indeed included, I cannot think of someone more befitting.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Apr 26 2013, 10:53am

Post #37 of 62 (231 views)
Shortcut
i just pointed out [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Your post seems to be a non sequitur...the discussion point was whether Tauriel will prophecy the Witch King's doom. We already know that Gandalf will be at the battle of Dol Guldur, and that he probably becomes wounded somehow (Ian McKellen related the joke that they named a dummy of him "Michael Gambon") and must be carried by Galadriel. So, what does his call for a horse have to do with the topic of the prophecy of the Witch King's doom??

Something i already mentioned in my opening post, concerning when the scene will be placed in DoS ;-)

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 11:11am

Post #38 of 62 (211 views)
Shortcut
Or after the battle... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when he realizes that while they were attacking Dol Guldur, Azog/Bolg (who will probably be in the service of Sauron) started their campaign against the Lonely Mountain.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 11:16am

Post #39 of 62 (255 views)
Shortcut
Far less than Legolas, I guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ (or was it Evangeline herself?) stated in the preview that they found it interesting to show a more "common" Elf, since most of those we really see doing something belong in one way or the other to the Wise amongst the Elves or at least are closely related to them. And I always liked the idea of Tauriel because of that - giving the Wood Elves a face. What we saw in the preview of the Legolas/Thranduil/Tauriel interaction looked really remarkable and memorable, imho (although I have the feeling Thranduil, if he comes across only half as epic in the movie as in the preview will outshine this whole episode).

I can live with Tauriel doing the prophecy (again, also because of the female connection) - but there has to be some sort of context WHY she is saying it and where she got it from. Maybe she is just repeating it, saying something along the lines of "As it was said... etc." . It SHOULDN'T be a random importantly-said-but-without-meaning-quote like "A red sun is rising...".

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2013, 2:15pm

Post #40 of 62 (207 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene itself LOOKS cool. Nevertheless, it is a representation of PJ's somewhat self-indulgent watering-down of ME history. So for me it kind of cancels itself out.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 4:08pm

Post #41 of 62 (198 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

If everything else was perfect and amazing, and you know that you still had the iconic scenes with Bilbo and Smaug to come, you would walk out of the theater, just because Tauriel recited the prophecy that the WitchKing would not be killed by a man? I don't really expect that to happen, but I wouldn't really mind it. After all, Orlando Bloom's best (only good?) moment in all of the LotR films was when he recited the prophecy of Malbleth the Seer regarding the Paths of the Dead (really the only good part of PJ's rendition of the Paths of the Dead). It could be fine, or even quite good, or it could be corny and ridiculous. But even if it were the latter, it would be one bad moment, that still wouldn't compare to things like Frodo sending Sam home, or Gandalf whacking Denethor, or the green scrubbing bubbles, etc. Did you walk out of the theater then?

I really think that people tend to apply a different standard to these Hobbit films then they did to the LotR films.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2013, 4:20pm

Post #42 of 62 (185 views)
Shortcut
I know it messes with the history, [In reply to] Can't Post

but one thing we don't know is when the Nazgul escaped frome these tombs/cells. It's entirely possible that they were released centuries before Gandalf's discovery, allowing them plenty of time to aid the Necromancer for his re-emergence. This would also allow for the White Council being taken by surprise at these "recent" developments, movie-verse-wise, because they thought The Nine were safely put away, completely unaware of their recent activity.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2013, 5:00pm

Post #43 of 62 (185 views)
Shortcut
Of course not! (After all, I like to get my money's worth...;-) ) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was an exaggeration to show my disgust with the idea, and the opinion expressed that it would be great to get the prophecy included by whatever means. Why? I'd rather it be omitted than to have it portrayed incorrectly on screen, and hopefully people will be encouraged to delve into the books to get the full story. Was anyone honestly expecting this whole Nazgul plotline along with the DG subplot? I know all I expected was a flashback to Gandalf finding Thrain in DG, a couple of WC meetings and the assault by the Wise to rout The Necromancer. Is the Nazgul tombs storyline really necessary?

No, I didn't walk out in disgust during any of the LotR films either. I went in fearing the worst with FotR and came out over the moon at how much was portrayed faithfully, or at least with the minimum of alteration. My satisfaction levels went downwards rapidly with TTT and RotK, (though that could have been improved by being split into 2 films) and of course there are things like those you mentioned that I wished had been done differently, but I don't feel the changes and additions there are necessarily in the same league as the ones we are experiencing with TH. A lot of the issues with LotR were characterization changes, particularly Faramir and Denethor, but the story was still told without as much reinterpretation or needless rewriting of M-e history as we are getting this time around .

I wouldn't say that different standards are being applied at all. The HFR/3D action blockbuster vs classic epic debate perhaps clouds the issue when comparing TH with LotR. Side by side I would still say the AUJ screenplay/scripting still falls short against LotR so far, despite many flashes of brilliance. At the end of the day, a lot of it comes down, IMO, to issues of excess/indulgence.

Victoria Monfort

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 26 2013, 6:04pm

Post #44 of 62 (158 views)
Shortcut
That of course is possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

My only problem is calling these thingies "tombs" and saying that the Nazguks were "buried".
I have no other complaint as it is.

And regarding Tauriel's recitation,
as someone mentioned earlier it works fine if she repeats someone else's saying. Just don't make the prophecy "said by Tauriel".

But if they still plan to insert the prophecy, I would still have Galadriel say it.
Her epic voice raises the epicity of epic scenes like those.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 26 2013, 6:47pm

Post #45 of 62 (151 views)
Shortcut
I can see it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because of Philippa Boyens' comments I've always assumed that Tauriel would speak the line, but it could also work having Galadriel speak the prophecy, and Tauriel takes the role of Earnur-- she being a badass warrior wants to go kill the Witch King, but Galadriel holds her back, saying something like "Stay your hand, daughter of Mirkwood; far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of a man."

Galadriel and Tauriel could then bond (as the only 2 female characters in the movie) and become BFFs. Then 60 years later they text each other:

***from tauriel@mirkwood***
Hey, girlfriend, your prophecy about the Witch King came true! That mortal babe from Rohan-- she bitchslapped him straight to hell! Did you see it??

***from galadriel@lorien***
Yeah, saw it in my Mirror. It's probably up on YouTube by now, so you can go catch it. High Five!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 12:22am

Post #46 of 62 (124 views)
Shortcut
I think it can work in the films without too much in movie contradiction,and be a good scene from that perspective, HOWEVER [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be better for the film if they had bothered to work with the actual history, and would also have done better service to the lore and the source. The actual story is, frankly, better by far, and also more cohesive. This will work okay, but it is a degraded representation.

In Reply To
I think the tomb thing is a perfect prequel/backstory for the nazgul we know from the lotr films.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2013, 12:31am

Post #47 of 62 (116 views)
Shortcut
Even though... [In reply to] Can't Post

the things that the Witch-king did after his realm of Angmar fell has nothing to do with the story of The Hobbit, there were still plenty of ways PJ could have done it so it didn't fly in the face of Tolkien's history. Then again, the Nazgul tombs aren't even the worst PJ "modification" (that would be the "resurrection" of Azog).

IMO, Jackson has so far destroyed just about all of the appendix material that he decided to utilize. The movie was great when it followed Tolkien's words, but fell short when it descended into fanfic-land. Just my opinion of course.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2013, 12:42am

Post #48 of 62 (111 views)
Shortcut
This sums up my thoughts nicely... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I want to see Tolkien's works in the films not PJ's.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 1:30am

Post #49 of 62 (110 views)
Shortcut
I agree fervently here. [In reply to] Can't Post

It troubles me thoroughly that Jackson and Boyens especially keep passing off all of their additions as being well founded in the Appendices, when in fact, half of what they have added directly and explicitly contradicts The Appendices at every turn.

In Reply To
I agree movies are made to be stand alone and something different from the books, if necessary. But if PJ changes everything then I see no sense in calling it "the hobbit". The LOTR films were great as stand alones and true to JRRT at the same time.

A) I thought you said the Nazguls are to be resurrected in the high-fells scene? And now you say they have already been resurrected in AUJ. The two are contradictory.

B) So when did the prophecy of the Witch-King come? After he was killed? And even if we assume they are killed in the past, then it goes against many things from LOTR. Like Eleniel said, it's not consistent with the prologue. Aragorn says "They were great Kings of men. Then Sauron the deciever gave them nine rings of power. And they all fell one by one to the power of the Ring passing into the shadow world" (something like that) Which clearly states that the men turned to wraiths when Sauron gave the Rings.

C)I am remembering the mention of Minas Ithil in one of the movies' EEs (I'm not sure). Though this claim is still understandable.

D) I won't miss the movie for just one scene. But if there are a bunch of scenes with super-deviations then I have to think twice. The movie-buff in me wants to. But if the Tolkien-nerd in me gets irritated by that then I'm thinking of DVDs. Sly

In Reply To
You must remember, the movie adaptations are made to be stand-alone creations, they are not the books. To answer your concerns:

A) No problem at all with seeing the Witch-King as an undead wraith in AUJ-- as I said, their resurrection by the Necromancer has already happened by AUJ's timeline.

B) Again, no problem: we can easily suppose (movies) that the nine men were killed in the past. Nothing in the LOTR movies says that they weren't dead at some point; the rings corrupted them as living men, but they could still die and be put into tombs. Only later (movie) were they resurrected by the Necromancer as the Ringwraiths. That is what a "necromancer" does, brings back the dead.

C) There is no Minas Ithil in the movies-- all we ever heard in the LOTR movies was Minas Morgul, and we were never told how or when the Nazgul came there. We thus have 60 years between The Hobbit and FOTR for them to set up shop there.

D) Aw, see it anyway.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 27 2013, 1:34am

Post #50 of 62 (125 views)
Shortcut
WTF!!!!! That better be false. If Tauriel opens her mouth and speaks Glorfindel's prophecy in a film [In reply to] Can't Post

that doesn't even acknowledge Glorfindel and gives Lindir a damned cameo. . . . I will start to feel about Phillipa the way Gollum came to feel about Bilbo after the latter ran out of the caves with a certain piece of high end jewlery in his possesion. . . FOREVER!!! Mad

In Reply To
A) No, my original post simply said that they were resurrected by the necromancer. This obviously happened some time well before the High Fells scene, because by the time Gandalf and Radagast come poking around, the High Fells tombs are already in the creepy, abandoned state that we see in the clip. And, of course, Radagast already saw the Witch King in wraith form when he explored Dol Guldur. How long ago they broke out of those tombs is anyone's guess.

B) (Possible Spoiler)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.