Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #13
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Nira
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 5:26pm

Post #26 of 51 (129 views)
Shortcut
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RO!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. After the “Good morning” exchange, Bilbo scuttles inside his door and Gandalf stands outside the door laughing long but quietly. What does Gandalf do next?
He uses his staff to scratch a symbol into Bilbo's door.
Property damage is not cool, kids! Mr. Gandalf should have just planted something by the fence or turned a rock over.

2. Which Dwarf is first to arrive at Bag End?
Dwalin, at your service. Now can I eat your dinner?

3. What instrument does Thorin play, after the feast when the Dwarves settle down to music-making?
Either a flute or something with strings. Tongue Electric guitar! I just can't picture Thorin playing anything; he's always been just a singer in my mind.

4. The runes on the map that Gandalf gives Thorin read: “Five feet high the door and ____ _____ _____ _____.” Fill in the blanks (four words).
I can't read Dwarvish runes! Could someone please translate them into Sindarin?

5. Who killed Thorin’s grandfather Thror?
Azog The Defiler
He made him a head shorter.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 5:28pm

Post #27 of 51 (117 views)
Shortcut
Got turned into a pumpkin. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 23 2013, 5:28pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 5:31pm

Post #28 of 51 (139 views)
Shortcut
Pumpkin pie. [In reply to] Can't Post

With pecan streusel topping.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 6:30pm

Post #29 of 51 (128 views)
Shortcut
Woo Hoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome back!
Also, Welcome front!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

batik
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 11:01pm

Post #30 of 51 (101 views)
Shortcut
made it! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Runed the paint job (letter G)
2. Dwalin
3. Harp
4.thrice the width (of) dwarves !!!
5. not Azog!-- Bolg??

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:19pm

Post #31 of 51 (103 views)
Shortcut
*comes tearing in so fast [In reply to] Can't Post

she almost teeters over the edge and has to be pulled backward landing on Legolas a'la Boromir in Moria*
(A girl can dream can't she?)

Did I make it? Oh good.

1. Scratches the sign on the beautifully painted door.
2. Balin I believe.
3. A harp.
4. Three may walk abreast. (Of course, being a very nice wizard, he left out "Two if one is Bombur.")
5. Azog curse his name.

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 11:30pm

Post #32 of 51 (96 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...I've been reading the Appendices a little too much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my last answer actually comes from there! But I think who did kill Thror is mentioned in The Hobbit.

Blush

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 1:25am

Post #33 of 51 (93 views)
Shortcut
Oh, really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has something slightly unpleasant happened recently, like an onion falling on your head?

Ataahua: Not only have I watched Blackadder (heaps), it’s one of my favourite Brit-coms!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 1:45am

Post #34 of 51 (107 views)
Shortcut
In honour of kings returning and birthdays: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Illin and somewhat dissed, Gandalf tagged Bilbo's door. All these years later Bag End remains Bloods territory.

2. Speedy Dwalin shouting, "Hurry up! Go! Go! Yii Hah!" in Khuzdul.

3. A type of flute.

4. “Five feet high the door and three breasts wide, yo.”

5. The same man who shot Liberty Valance.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 2:00am

Post #35 of 51 (85 views)
Shortcut
Late Happy Birthday [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Scribes the g-rune on the door for the Dwarves to find the right place

2. Dwalin

3. A sexy saxophone

4. Three may walk abreast

5. Azog

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 7:56am

Post #36 of 51 (88 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday, Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. After the “Good morning” exchange, Bilbo scuttles inside his door and Gandalf stands outside the door laughing long but quietly. What does Gandalf do next?

He puts up some streamers and balloons on the garden gate and on the door he scratches a secret sign that says, "Birthday Party here tonight, hosted by a burglar in need of a job. Hot dwarves especially welcome!"

Dwalin, wearing his best detachable party hood in honor of the special day.

3. What instrument does Thorin play, after the feast when the Dwarves settle down to music-making?

A golden harp, which I like to picture as looking like this and sounding like this.

4. The runes on the map that Gandalf gives Thorin read: “Five feet high the door and three may walk abreast." But it didn't say three of what or who. Snails? Sure. Thrushes? Fine. Dwarves? As long as they're not all Bomburs. TORNadoes wearing party hats? Only if we ducked. Dragons? Nope. Smaug could have sued for false advertisement if he'd only known.

Azog, as revenge for not being invited to his birthday party. He had a really fetching hat picked out to wear and everything.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 7:58am

Post #37 of 51 (102 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Darkstone! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've been missed. In particular, I've often wished you were here for this quiz series. And here you are! It's good to have you back. Cool

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 24 2013, 7:59am)

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 24 2013, 1:59pm

Post #38 of 51 (68 views)
Shortcut
And Happy late Birthday! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Apr 24 2013, 4:44pm

Post #39 of 51 (69 views)
Shortcut
Oh goody, a party! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Birthday Roheryn! Or should I wish you a very merry Unbirthday, since I suppose the actual event was several days ago?

I love this chapter but it raises some questions:

1. What does Gandalf do after saying "Good Morning" to Bilbo? He scratches a rune on Bilbo's nice, green front door.

My question is why does Gandalf have a sharp spike in the end of his staff anyway? Does he poke orcs with it? I'd be more likely to cut myself if I had to carry something like that around all the time.

2. Which dwarf first arrives at Bag End? I can't remember, so I'll say Dwalin. I think the film actually follows the order of the book fairly closely.

3. What is Thorin's instrument of choice? He plays a golden harp.

Which brings me to my next question. What in the world do the dwarves do with their instruments when they are traveling? A flute is easy to carry, but a harp? a string bass? It brings to mind a ridiculous picture of Thorin and company as an itinerant orchestra. Maybe that's how they make their money when they can't find work as smiths?

4. The runes on the map say "Five feet high the door and Three May Walk Abreast.

5. Who killed Thror? It was Azog. Who then carved his initials on Thror's head and tossed it out the door.

But I seem to have heard conflicting accounts of this atrocity. Is it possible that Tolkien wrote more than one version of the event? I'm confused, but I don't want to go check my books until the quiz is over. See how virtuous I'm beingAngelic

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 4:53pm

Post #40 of 51 (88 views)
Shortcut
I've been missed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not at this range.

I look forward to more little quizzies, which reminds me of a not-suitable-for-family-board joke.

Good to be back! Heart

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 4:57pm

Post #41 of 51 (73 views)
Shortcut
Hoo Woo! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Welcome back!
Also, Welcome front!

And sideways!

"And all of them at once!" as Bilbo put it.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 7:08pm

Post #42 of 51 (68 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, I might actually know a few of these. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gandalf marks a rune on Bilbo's door.
2. Balin ?
3. a harp
4. three (?) may walk abreast
5. Azog

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

ryouko
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 1:05am

Post #43 of 51 (58 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Paints "Dwarf Party HERE" on the door.

2. Willow, who realized that he had gotten terribly lost.

3. Oboe, until he realizes that depressed Dwarves won't follow him anywhere.

4. "Good Luck Finding It"

5. Thror killed himself after listening to Thorin playing the oboe.

Okay, okay. I have nothing against oboes. Lovely sounds, really. But they are rather sad-sounding.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 5:45pm

Post #44 of 51 (56 views)
Shortcut
Oooo, a knotty one! [In reply to] Can't Post

He yarn bombs the door, incorporating runes into the design (and inadvertantly scratching a perfectly good fresh paint job). I won't tell you what they said, and you don't even want to know what the doorknob cozy resembled. ;)

"Twalin' Dwalin" -- It rhymes if I say it rhymes! -- His fondness for sharp objects and brawling was often the cause of his unraveling...and unraveling...and unraveling... Not surprisingly, he also found it difficult to get away with anything he stole.

I'm not sure what it's called, but he wore these while playing it, and carried around his sheet music in this. Too much harping on a theme if you ask me. Not that I'd know about that. ;)

4. The runes on the map that Gandalf gives Thorin read: “Five feet high the door and ____ _____ _____ _____.” Fill in the blanks (four words).

*sigh* I'd love to show you, but I've got too many unfinished projects on the needles already, so I'll have to spell it out in the usual modern way: "three may walk abreast."

Azog.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Apr 25 2013, 5:50pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2013, 2:56am

Post #45 of 51 (39 views)
Shortcut
Abandon all hope, ye who clicky here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Prove that he really is the juvenile delinquent among the Wizards. I mean, really - graffiti?? Really?!? Tagging a respectable Hobbit's door? What next, dying Thorin's hair purple? (Pink's out; Fili and Kili's mother already covered that one when she and Thorin were quite young...)

Thorin's hair, a strand of which had landed on Gandalf's cloak in the hat-check at the Prancing Pony. Or I could gamble on the movie and say Dwalin, but, really, that's just me hoping the filmmakers got that detail right...

A fiddle, which he plays using a bow haired with, of course, his own hair, gathered carefully from his brush. Well, he doesn't want to waste it!

"Three feet wide and..." The fact that it left off there was a source of much amusement to the Dwarves, as they all knew how the song was supposed to go. The rest of the day, some of them were heard humming quietly phrases like: "When I was a little bitty dwarf, just up off-'a the floor"; and "It'd hold eight dwarves and four mad elves and a warggy we stole from the shed"; and, of course, "Made from the feathers of forty-'leven Balrogs". It drove Thorin to distraction, so much that he was pulling at his hair, stomping his feet and yelling for them to stop; all of which led to a redoubling of his nephews' contributions to the aural mayhem. Poor Thorin never was a fan of John Fangorn (stage name, of course).

Little known fact: the Necromancer and Thranduil shared a hairdresser, whose greatest gift was the ability to foresee folk's follicular futures. The state of Thorin's tresses was already known, and thus was Thror's fate sealed. 'Nuff said.

Well, I think I've done enough damage around here for the time being.Evil

And many returns of the day, Ro!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

(This post was edited by Arandiel on Apr 26 2013, 2:57am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2013, 3:49am

Post #46 of 51 (37 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm on time, for once! I usually am only on TORn on weekends anymore, so I'm glad I caught this tonight.
1. Gandalf scratched a mark on Bilbo's door. "Burglar seeking work", or "Expert Treasure-Hunter", if you prefer.
2. I think it's Dwalin, because I think when Balin arrives, his age is emphasized (as he is significantly older than Dwalin).
3. Thorin plays the harp.
4. "three may walk abreast"
5. Bolg. Unless it's Azog. I blame the movie for my confusion on this point!

Where's Frodo?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2013, 3:54am

Post #47 of 51 (40 views)
Shortcut
Whew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for accepting my late assignment, Teach!

Where's Frodo?

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2013, 7:32am

Post #48 of 51 (28 views)
Shortcut
***QUIZ CLOSED***// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 7:36am

Post #49 of 51 (24 views)
Shortcut
Danggit! Lost an 'I'... [In reply to] Can't Post

well, "Twailin' Dwalin" did, anyway.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 26 2013, 10:48am

Post #50 of 51 (36 views)
Shortcut
But not too late to... [In reply to] Can't Post

WISH YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY RO!!!!!!!!!

Hope it was great SmileSlyWinkCoolHeartSmileSlyCool!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.