Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
i will also add

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2013, 9:28am

Views: 93
Shortcut
i will also add [In reply to] Can't Post

that i have often reviewed the actions of all the characters in lotr, thinking where each might have had a pivotal role, a critical role, in saving middle earth. a moment that, had it not been for the actions of that character, all would have been lost.

admittedly, my book characters get conflated with the film characters at times (e.g., pippin lighting the beacons of gondor --- causing rohan to come, preventing the destruction of gondor).

i have not read lotr in a while, and during that interval, i have watched the ee countless times, so i'm on shakier ground when discussing the book characters in this vein.

so... care to run down the list with me? what was the moment upon which the fate of middle earth hung in the balance of each character's actions?

1. sam -- taking the ring from frodo, so it wouldn't be found by the orcs at cirith ungol

2. elrond -- causing the flooding of the river, overwhelming the black riders

3. gollum (unintentional) -- falling into mount doom with the ring

4. gandalf -- keeping the balrog at bay while the rest of the company escaped

5. king of the dead -- allowing the army of the dead to fight (i'm fuzzy here, with the film)

6. faramir -- letting frodo move on with his mission

.... please add more...

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 26 2013, 9:30am)

Subject User Time
Saviour characters noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 24 2013, 4:56pm
    I think it's more about increasing dangers, and fewer rescues CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 24 2013, 5:23pm
        Children's book requirements? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 24 2013, 5:34pm
    A repudiation of Thomas Carlyle? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Apr 24 2013, 5:47pm
        well put telain Send a private message to telain Apr 24 2013, 9:48pm
            I thank you. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Apr 24 2013, 9:51pm
    i don't think the premise of savior characters in every chapter flies Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 25 2013, 11:43am
        Great expression CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 25 2013, 1:11pm
        The "saviour" idea it becomes increasingly (and interestingly) problematic as the story progresses noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 25 2013, 2:37pm
            elf-removal Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 25 2013, 3:15pm
                I can see you're not going for it.... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 25 2013, 5:40pm
                    not trying to be argumentative.... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 25 2013, 10:06pm
                        Quite so - the right thing to do with ideas like this is to take them for a test run noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 26 2013, 8:32am
                            nowimė, heya : ) Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 26 2013, 9:10am
                            i will also add Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Apr 26 2013, 9:28am
                                Cause & causation elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 26 2013, 3:06pm
                                    Hand me my Overthinking pills noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 26 2013, 3:51pm
                                        "The Fundamental Interconnectedness of Everything"!! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Apr 26 2013, 4:51pm
            Semi-saviors CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 25 2013, 9:26pm
    Tolkien: Believer Frostbitten Send a private message to Frostbitten May 3 2013, 5:16pm
        Welcome to the Reading Room, Frostbitten. Interesting point!// noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme May 3 2013, 5:39pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.