Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
This community is outstanding!

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 1:04pm

Post #1 of 11 (205 views)
Shortcut
This community is outstanding! Can't Post

As a relatively new member, I am still amazed of how serious, yet friendly topics can be discussed here.

Especially when it comes to AUJ, people completely disagreeing are almost every time able to discuss things with respect and therefore create really interesting debates.

This is NOT common in the internet, in my experience. I have only lately quit an account in another forum, since differing opinions usually meant snappy remarks and sometimes even outright war - not even mentioning the dreadful troll-party that is IMDB, for example.

So, thanks everyone. I hope to have years of positive discussions to come :-)

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 1:23pm

Post #2 of 11 (155 views)
Shortcut
hiya [In reply to] Can't Post

like you, arannir, i am also new/relatively new, and am very much impressed with the consistent cordiality and quality of the conversations here... which would include yours as well.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 25 2013, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 11 (143 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting that thought Arannir! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to have you around! And I too hope to (and anticipate) keep enjoying things!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 25 2013, 4:42pm

Post #4 of 11 (143 views)
Shortcut
It isn't common? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the first (and only) Internet chat thing I've been on. Are other sites really like that?

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 5:08pm

Post #5 of 11 (131 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I have been on bad ones... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but sites like IMDB I find almost unbearable in the boards.

And some others where very smart and snarky remarks are considered the height of forum posting.

Seems much more mature and actually on the topics here.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 25 2013, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 11 (129 views)
Shortcut
I've been on a fair few forums in my time [In reply to] Can't Post

Both Tolkien related and other fantasy (mainly Doctor Who) related.

This forum is unique. The admins are respected but still have fun (and are also incredibly friendly and approachable), the users are friendly and respect each other, and trolls are quickly turned to stone. People are quick to apologise (when necessary), and petty arguing is kept to a minimum. Threads and posts are often well thought out, and most importantly, we all share the same passion and have fun with it.

I couldn't wish for a better online forum.

Smile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 25 2013, 6:14pm

Post #7 of 11 (115 views)
Shortcut
Yes, TORn is very special [In reply to] Can't Post

It has a completely unique sense of a fan community-the vast majority of members are incredibly welcoming and friendly people, full of intelligence and insight. It's been a true pleasure to be a member on this forum. Wink

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 25 2013, 6:18pm

Post #8 of 11 (116 views)
Shortcut
Rare, unique, special [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying Tolkien sites since the 1990s. They very quickly descend into obscence name-calling and inflammatory wars which eclipse the whole point of discussing Tolkien. I would usually give up on them after 2-3 months if I made it that long. I've been here 3 years and am very glad I found it, only wish I'd found it sooner.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 25 2013, 6:57pm

Post #9 of 11 (107 views)
Shortcut
Its a great place to be [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the feel of this forum. You get some great back and forth between folks. However, at the end of the day when people are done I do believe folks respect each other for our POV as well as the love we have for Middle-earth. This is one of those places I have as much fun just reading posts as I do posting myself.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 25 2013, 7:03pm

Post #10 of 11 (110 views)
Shortcut
It can't be said too often :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a really special place. I've been hanging around since the First Age, and it feels like home. Thanks for being part of what makes it special :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 25 2013, 9:33pm

Post #11 of 11 (118 views)
Shortcut
I have so many things to be thankful for. [In reply to] Can't Post

And this website is one of them!Heart
Thank you all!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.