Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Journey to the Magnetic Mountain (AUJ)

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 4:50am

Views: 805
Shortcut
Journey to the Magnetic Mountain (AUJ) Can't Post

I am not steeped in the lore, but there does not seem to be
the urgency driving the Hobbit narrative as found in lotr.
In fotr, there was more urgency in the quest to mt. doom as
the darkness was stirring and the Sauron's minions already
on the hunt. Things were to get worse as time passed, and
there was no hiding from the growing peril. Thus, the urgency
was present to drive the narration, and the stakes were dramatic
too.

There is not the same urgency in the Hobbit. The company could swing down
to Gondor in the process, maybe head to pay the Easterlings a visit and then sojourn with
Dain in the Iron Hills and maybe swing up to forochel before approaching Erebor from the NE.
Smaug the terrible worm is not going anywhere soon.

I think this is evident in part one of the journey. They just get on the road and it cannot be expected
that they will meet their destination in film one, or any real destination for that matter. When you embark
on a long journey, you have a general goal and reason for the expedition, yet it is not in the forefront of your
mind, motivating every action yonder. otherwise, one would probably tire, reassess and retire back to home.
I think there company is just starting out so it just has what is in front of them in mind. this includes trolls and
rabbits and chasing wargs, stuff that may not actually point toward a destination established in the prologue. It
might seem like just stuff to be put in there. Yet, that is exactly what it is. It's kind of one fiasco on top of another
that sort of prevents the company from getting to the moutnain to wrestle it away from the dragon.

So stuff happens on the journey that must be dealt with and in specific fashion, all the while the fat, scaly worm
reposes in blissful slumber under the mountain. so i think it is understandable if one watches the film and wonders to
self where this film is headed, as a driving, narrative destination is obscured. how does the drawn out troll scene or
battle flashback really drive or point to a destination? It doesn't lol.

yet, as the mountain looms, the story gathers more momentum and more purposeful sense.
I am curious to see how pushing any thought of the story's purpose into the background when viewing the film,
helps illuminate the story of AUJ itself. afterall, Bilbo is not sure of the journey, the dwarves are not sure, gandalf is not sure,
but it's about them getting out there on the road at least and see where it takes them.
maybe try viewing AUJ once telling yourself that nothing really has a purpose or needs a purpose in this part of the story and see
if the jounrey and characters enmesh you. let me know how its what you think!Sly

viewing it that way might allow one to better see the spirit of AUJ in a way before DoS illuminates it for us. DoS will
cast its light on AUJ as a deeper picture will be drawn as story lines mature! try it!

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Apr 25 2013, 4:58am)

Subject User Time
Journey to the Magnetic Mountain (AUJ) Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury Apr 25 2013, 4:50am
    I agree about the urgency... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 25 2013, 6:56am
        Yes, once they get to Rivendell, and Elrond reads the Moon Runes, Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Apr 25 2013, 7:02am
    endeavor Dwarvenfury Send a private message to Dwarvenfury Apr 26 2013, 10:15pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.