Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
does anyone, or are there people in the world who actually believe in tolkiens mythology as their religion?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

demnation
Rohan

Apr 24 2013, 6:38pm

Post #26 of 37 (173 views)
Shortcut
I hope not. On the other hand [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's work (LOTR especially) has had a profound influence on my own moral outlook and general worldview. Still, it's not anything set in stone for me and I don't really think of it as religious text or myself as a follower of a religion.

Use Well the Days

imin
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 10:53pm

Post #27 of 37 (146 views)
Shortcut
Really interesting read [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting.

It all seemed a little odd to me but something that stuck out as very strange - other than woman in SoCal thinking she had found Gondor! Was how some people hold PJ's films to be the authoritative version of events and not Tolkien's texts!

Still, so long as it does no harm then it's all good!

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2013, 11:50pm

Post #28 of 37 (157 views)
Shortcut
I would rather read the Silmarillion the the Old Testament. [In reply to] Can't Post

We know JRRT was engaged in "subcreation" - taking various themes and molding them into a new thing. He was a devout Roman Catholic and would have been aghast...as he was when he learned people were trying to learn his elvish etc. Sometimes the creator is just the guy who kicks the door open and then others take up their visions based on it.

I recall many a night of speculation, after a few adult beverages, as to the meaning of 2001 A Space Odyssey etc. The same with other works of art...visual, literarty, physical etc. All have the capacity of creating "a-ha" moments and tapping into something special within individuals. "In my kingdom there are many mansions...rooms from subcreation?" The Multiverse if true (speculative) brings up the topic of "Fictional realism -The view that because fictions exist, fictional characters exist as well. There are fictional entities, in the same sense in which, setting aside philosophical disputes, there are people, Mondays, numbers and planets.[30][31]"

So, relax, speculate and mabye......;)

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 25 2013, 3:39am

Post #29 of 37 (141 views)
Shortcut
There isn't much difference between worhip of one fictional deity or another... [In reply to] Can't Post

Give Tolkien's text another millenium or so to gain a sacred aura. It will be infallible by then.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Dis15
Bree

Apr 27 2013, 9:19pm

Post #30 of 37 (98 views)
Shortcut
Religion, no .... spiritually, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was raised Southern Baptist, but am no longer religious. I do find the creation story of Middle Earth more beautiful and much less scary than the one from the Bible that I was taught as a child. Spiritually I think it is more beautiful as well: honor (no lying, cheating, stealing, etc), loyalty, to be careful of the words you speak and promises you make because they actually mean something, etc. I just don't see that much of that kind of stuff anymore in our society (U.S.A), although I know it is still out there and there are many good and honorable people living in this country. I have incorporated some of these things into my spiritual life. And I am the better for it!

But to make Tolkien's mythology a religion, wouldn't you have to set him up as a God, and maybe Gandalf as a prophet, etc. This kind of thing does not appeal to me and would not make sense. I am sure he would not want this nor accept it, with his strong Catholic background.

Dis15
Bree

Apr 27 2013, 9:27pm

Post #31 of 37 (88 views)
Shortcut
Religion, no .... spiritually, yes (con't) [In reply to] Can't Post

but, I think Morthoron has a good point, in a thousand years, who knows?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 27 2013, 9:28pm

Post #32 of 37 (93 views)
Shortcut
What do you find scary... [In reply to] Can't Post

about the creation account in Genesis? I think this is the first time I've ever heard it described as scary, so I'm curious as to why you think so.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Dis15
Bree

Apr 27 2013, 11:01pm

Post #33 of 37 (90 views)
Shortcut
scary [In reply to] Can't Post

the fall of man and woman and our punishment. And in the Southern Baptist tradition we were all sinners and going to burn in hell not just 10,000 years but eternally. Our preachers would scream and drool, really scary stuff. I got saved at the age of 9 because I was so scared of God and did not want to be burned alive forever. I have nothing against organized Christianity, but my childhood experiences scarred me.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 27 2013, 11:43pm

Post #34 of 37 (80 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I was raised Baptist, but thankfully never had anyone scream or drool from the pulpit.

I was just wondering because I find the creation account to be mythic and beautiful, so I was puzzled by your saying it was scary.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Dis15
Bree

Apr 27 2013, 11:59pm

Post #35 of 37 (78 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant no offense at all. Just my own personal experiences were not good as a child. My parents are Southern Baptists, but go to a different church now, and all their friends are, and they are not like that and are great people. Most are. I hope no offense was taken.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 28 2013, 12:34am

Post #36 of 37 (71 views)
Shortcut
No offense taken at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just curious. Smile

Frostbitten
The Shire

May 3 2013, 5:18pm

Post #37 of 37 (39 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien was a Christian. I hardily doubt that he meant it to become a faith for fans of his books.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.