Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Exciting news at MarketSaw regarding Peter Jackson DIRECTING The Hobbit

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 19 2007, 5:50pm

Post #1 of 22 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Exciting news at MarketSaw regarding Peter Jackson DIRECTING The Hobbit Can't Post

Jim from MarketSaw, who slipped us his inside information a few weeks ago, has posted an update from his sources over in PJ's camp (mixed with some pretty good reasoning on his own part) regarding Peter Jackson directing The Hobbit.

You can read the entire entry at MarketSaw, but here are a few snippets:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We REMAIN STEADFAST that Jackson will direct The Hobbit. All indications were that he was to be super heavily involved and nothing has changed whatsoever.
What I have heard is that Jackson will wrap up "The Lovely Bones" with a nice bow and then turn around to Steven Spielberg and say that he cannot take the reins of Tintin until the third iteration. That is to say, Spielberg will work his magic for the first Tintin feature, Zemeckis (YES. Zemeckis is the name I heard!) will work his magic for the second and Jackson for the third.
"District 9" from what I gather will be temporarily back-burnered.
By delaying "District 9" shuffling the "Tintin" order somewhat (but still maintaining his contractual obligations), Jackson frees up enough time to shoot two Hobbit movies back to back and still get another Oscar (or ten).
There is simply FAR too much at stake to risk placing another Director in that chair. Jackson's credibility is on the line here bigtime. The Hobbit must not fail. If he screws up "The Hobbit" by hiring a figurehead Director who is torn between his own vision and that of the Overlord Producer - thats whats gonna happen! Jackson knows that. He will take full responsibility for the success and helm it. He would probably fire ANY director that took the job anyway, just as he did with actor Ryan Gosling. Its gotta be a perfect duo of movies and nobody can do it better than the man himself. Again, he KNOWS that.

Look for the Zemeckis announcement that he is directing the second iteration of Tintin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope springs eternal Smile

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 5:59pm

Post #2 of 22 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, very interesting! {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

Patty
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 6:06pm

Post #3 of 22 (1209 views)
Shortcut
This will be great if true. [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate you sharing your sources with us!

For Gondor!

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 22 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I didn't realize Ryan Gosling was the new Stuart Townsend. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hollywood.com/...ckson_Firing/4966682

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 6:20pm

Post #5 of 22 (1254 views)
Shortcut
These conflicting reports are making my head spin [In reply to] Can't Post

I will not shout for joy until we get a complete confirmation, but this is very, very encouraging news.

And, frankly put, Jackson strikes me as a guy who will not give up control easily. The live-film adaptation of Middle-earth is his baby, after all :P

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Dec 19 2007, 6:31pm

Post #6 of 22 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Geez, I hope this is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

MarketSaw has been pretty close to the mark so far. (Still no word yet on the 3D issue, but I'm hoping!)

Daily Variety today is reporting on the whole thing as though Sam Raimi has already signed the contract and plopped his bottom down in the director's chair. (Well, the story itself is actually fairly non-committal on the topic, but the headline for the second half of the story says in big, bold letters: "RAIMI TO DIRECT 'HOBBIT'.")

Of the two, I certainly hope MarketSaw is the one that proves to be accurate!

However, I expect the whole situation is pretty fluid at this point. I'm guessing that even if MarketSaw's sources (or Variety's for that matter) are being completely honest ... that the situation could change in the blink of an eye.

Plus ... we've got the current WGA strike to consider. Not to mention the fact that the DGA and SAG will likely be striking sometime in the next six to eight months as well. Any of these factors could majorly reshuffle everybody's calendars, regardless of their current intentions.

It's gonna be a rollercoaster. I'd say we have several months (and years) of see-sawing announcements to look forward to! These boards aren't gonna get a chance to cool off till the film starts rolling!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

(This post was edited by BuckyUnderbelly on Dec 19 2007, 6:35pm)

starmaid

Dec 19 2007, 6:49pm

Post #7 of 22 (1166 views)
Shortcut
I would like that to be true [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that PJ wants complete control of his products--to keep them at a certain standard--extremely high--and I don't trust that some of these directors mentioned (e.g., Raimi) have his sense of quality control--or the ability to get along with the WETA staff.

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 8:25pm

Post #8 of 22 (1228 views)
Shortcut
WE WILL GET THE HOBBIT THAT WE DESERVE, but only... [In reply to] Can't Post

....if we tell the studios in no uncertian terms so.

This whole attitude of "trust the studios, they know what they are doing and they respect the fans" is CRAP. Look at their attitude already. Are they waiting until we have a director to send scouts to New Zealand and scout locations? (as if ,um, JACKSON could not input? HE was the one tramping all over NZ, he freaking LIVES there, what corporate NL hack knows NZ better? could the studios have found a better Meduseld than PJ did?

By being very public about these aggressive moves (scouting locations, a Hobbit film blog) they are trying to influence fan opinion that what they are doing is the good thing and they have the artistic integrity of the films at heart. So that we will back down and follow their spiel. They aretrying to convince us that the tide of this thing is inevitable, that we have no power. So that by the time the really important decisions get underway, too much time will have passed for PJ to be able to influcne events any longer.

The only way Jackson will change his mind is if we fans are not fooled by the "PJ being involved" bullcrap and SHOUT like last time. The only way Peter Fran and Philippa will feel they have the power to reply to the 2 studios is if he feels the fans standing behind him. And the studios are indicating at this point they are willing to listen?

WHO DO THEY WANT? Del Toro? Cuaron? NO. Someone with genune artistic chops? NO. They want Sam Raimi, the most "commerical" director possible.

Mr. "I made the three Spiderman films fanchise" Raimi. Mr. "We order you to play it safe so we will get our billion in the bank" Raimi.

We all saw how Spidey 3 turned out. Enough said.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 19 2007, 10:22pm

Post #9 of 22 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's done it before. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's produced and directed three movies at the same time before. A little trilogy called "Lord of the Rings". Some of you may have heard of it.

Tintin, Lovely Bones, and The Hobbit at the same time? No problem.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 11:40pm

Post #10 of 22 (1085 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what it's like for an experienced director [In reply to] Can't Post

to have to work under the oversight of a former peer who’s now executive producing. Wouldn’t it feel like getting passed up for a promotion? Would the director have hard feelings?

~~~~~~~~

Formerly known as GaladrielTX

dexmachina

Dec 20 2007, 12:01am

Post #11 of 22 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Good point.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right, since producing three films with the same cast, set & crew is exactly the same as making three entirely separate films... Wink

In Reply To
He's produced and directed three movies at the same time before. A little trilogy called "Lord of the Rings". Some of you may have heard of it.

Tintin, Lovely Bones, and The Hobbit at the same time? No problem.

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 20 2007, 1:38am

Post #12 of 22 (1131 views)
Shortcut
*Double sigh*. [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you folks PLEASE see my thread about the difference between PRODUCING and EXECUTIVE PRODUCING.

PJ was not Executive Producer for LOTR. There's a VAST DIFFERENCE.

The Executive Producer for LOTR was Mark Ordesky. That should tell you all you need to know.

I must have made this point on 2 or 3 threads yesterday. If more people educated themselves about the artistic can or worms this potentially opens up, I'd expect they'd be howling at NL right now--it would be 2006 all over again. The studios have certainly worded this Official Announcement verrrry carefully, and it seems the spin is doing its job. This changes NOTHING from a year ago. In fact, it may have made things worse.

Make an annoucement, splash PJ's name around a bit, and give some concrete news about things like scouting in NZ, to keep the valuable NZ fans happy. Mission accomplished! Then, when the REAL news hits the fan, it will be too late for the fans to do anything.

The truth will not begin to sink in until it's too late, I'm afriaid, if things keep going as they are.

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2007, 1:42am

Post #13 of 22 (1143 views)
Shortcut
*tripple sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to assume that when people don't agree with you, they don't have clue. I usually assume they same, but it's not considered as very polite to tell them.

Pukel-man
The Shire

Dec 20 2007, 5:04am

Post #14 of 22 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Actually . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . I'd much rather see somebody else direct The Hobbit. The story is so similar to the LOTR, and many of the locations are characters are essentially identical. I'd like a re-imagining.

Sunflower, why are you so adamant that only PJ can do a good job?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2007, 6:47am

Post #15 of 22 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you here, Pukel-man. There have been a lot of veterans coming out of the woodwork lately. I wonder why?Smile

Where's Frodo?

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 20 2007, 12:22pm

Post #16 of 22 (990 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Good to see you! And I agree./ [In reply to] Can't Post

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 20 2007, 2:52pm

Post #17 of 22 (990 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jim at Marketsaw has been pretty accurate so far, hopefully his sources are correct once again.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Dec 20 2007, 2:53pm)

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 20 2007, 4:38pm

Post #18 of 22 (980 views)
Shortcut
Accurate about what?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 4:54pm

Post #19 of 22 (1000 views)
Shortcut
I've decided that I believe he WILL be the director... [In reply to] Can't Post

based only on something I just saw on IMDb.

It indicates that both New Line and MGM badly need the shot in the arm that "The Hobbit" will generate. It also says that fan enthusiasm re: The Hobbit is muted by our fear that PJ may not be directing. I believe that somehow heaven and earth will be moved to let this happen, because too much is riding on it being the success that PJ's directing would guarantee in the perceived minds of the majority of the fans (mine for one.)Heart When I read how much was riding on it, I breathed a sigh of relief. Money talks.

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 20 2007, 6:05pm

Post #20 of 22 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Ohhhh... I'm going to stand over here with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just now posted that I'd accept Raimi if Peter did, but I have this huge lump in my throat because of it! I get the feeling there still some dance steps for Mr. Jackson to perform yet. I'd be delighted to have him write/produce/direct/sweep/model-build... whatever his heart desires!

{{Patty}}

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Rabittooth
Bree

Dec 20 2007, 9:19pm

Post #21 of 22 (965 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna stand here too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit of a sap and like to believe that good triumphs and things all come out right in the end.
I can't help but think that if PJ doesn't immerse himself back into the realm of Middle Earth, take the reigns and Direct with full control over the 2 Hobbit films he's going to regret it later in life.
We'll have a coupla movies, that, although they might be good...even maybe great, we'll only be able to imagine what they may have been like if PJ and company's hands were deep into them...up to the shoulders.
As negotiations continue and things move along, I can't help but think Peter may get a little knot in his stomach at the thought of someone else playing in his sandbox. Moving the pieces on his board. Interpreting his visual imaginings of that world and tweaking, if not twisting them into their own.
Will he really allow that to happen?
Will he regret it later if he does?
Especially when he knows how behind him most of us are?
I dunno...contractual obligations, time etc...
Like I said...I'm a sap...but I believe these films and this world does have a bit of REAL magic.
And Pete is our Wizard.
I think...in the end. It'll be the right side that wins out over the more mundane and worldly concerns...and we'll have PJ dashing from set to set in his bare feet on a bicycle in Middle Earth again.
Like I said...I think he'll regret it if he doesn't.
So might thousands of fans.
And I think he knows it.
The magic might suffer.
I'm gonna believe that it'll work out for now. CoolTongue

-Rabittooth

www.rabittooth.com

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 20 2007, 11:43pm

Post #22 of 22 (1023 views)
Shortcut
I'm stll glowing about the news [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll admit something here openly (and I don't think I'm alone). I'd lap up anything Jackson, Walsh, Boyens, and a reunited cast and crew of LOTR put together. Even if it was the equivalent of Jackson/Walsh fan fiction in the form of an original movie set in Tolkien's world. I became a fan of more than just the books when the LOTR films came out, but the people involved in the movie too. Jackson's vision is an interpretation of Tolkien's work, just as we all have our own vision of how that world is, and I personally really like it. It's not 100% Tolkien, but it is a place I want to go back to. So whatever happens, I just hope as many of the old cast and crew are involved as possible and that it has Jackson's blessing. :-)

I'm sure in the future there will be other film versions of LOTR and The Hobbit produced too by other directors and writers. Right now I have my fingers crossed that these two new films will have the same passion that their .predecessors did. Sly

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.