Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
John Callen on Oin: What do you make of this? (***spoilers?***)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2013, 9:35pm

Views: 1686
Shortcut
John Callen on Oin: What do you make of this? (***spoilers?***) Can't Post

I got The Hobbit Chronicles: Creatures and Characters yesterday, and stayed up way too late last night reading the entire 68-page section on Dwarves. First off, I have to say this is a spectacular book, even better than the first one. The attention to every conceivable (and inconceivable!) detail by everyone involved in the movie is nothing short of phenomenal. If you don't have this book, and you're remotely interested, get thee to a bookstore and buy one. You'll love it!

Several bits in particular really caught my attention while reading through the Dwarves section, but here's the most intriguing one. It's in the section on Oin and Gloin, and it's at the end of a longish bit written by John Callen. He's just been describing how Oin is the team medic, and how "If anyone was injured or sick Oin would be called upon." He then writes this: "Oin's purpose and indeed his priorities become evident when we get deeper into the story and he has to make a choice between the Quest and his calling. It affirms his role in the group as a healer, and is done in a way that isn't soppy, but minutes later he's back in the fray and giving it all he's got."

So, what do you all make of this? I take "deeper into the story" to mean in DOS or TABA. What sort of choice could he be faced with, one between the Quest and his calling? Who needs his help? Not soppy? That means there could be the potential for soppiness. Minutes later he's back in the fray? So it's during a fight scene? I'm so curious!

Could this be when Thorin is mortally wounded? Would that require a choice between the Quest and his calling? I'm not sure it would.

Thoughts? Speculations?

Subject User Time
John Callen on Oin: What do you make of this? (***spoilers?***) Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 23 2013, 9:35pm
    Could it have something to do with ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 23 2013, 9:55pm
        I thought about that... Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 23 2013, 10:52pm
    Hmmm marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Apr 23 2013, 10:39pm
        This Seems Very Likely IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Apr 23 2013, 10:50pm
    I would like to see Luinnár Send a private message to Luinnár Apr 23 2013, 10:56pm
        Ro! how Wonderful...When Bomby copied and searched for this Book? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Apr 24 2013, 12:51am
            That's neat, Bomby. :-) Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Apr 24 2013, 5:35am
    Don't worry. I'm sure whatever it is, it'll probably be cut... QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 24 2013, 10:54am
        I felt this particularly in LOTR with Aragorn and Faramir Kimtc Send a private message to Kimtc Apr 25 2013, 1:45pm
    Even if you don't see the whole back story Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Apr 24 2013, 11:10am
        Absolutely, it's better than no back-story at all. QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Apr 24 2013, 11:18am
        Story/character development belongs in the film and not solely in the making-of materials... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Apr 25 2013, 2:05pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.