Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
St Georges Day again? How many is that since I started on Torn?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2013, 2:23pm

Post #1 of 27 (233 views)
Shortcut
St Georges Day again? How many is that since I started on Torn? Can't Post

I'm not sure exactly what date I first started here on Torn, but I think it was in April -- 13 years ago! Smile .If someone had told me then that I'd still be posting here now or how much I have gained from being here I would never have believed them.

I still remember one thread on this day on the old boards that had myself posting as St George (before we banned alternate names Blush) battling Smaug (can't remember who was posting as the dragon). It's a shame that thread was lost to the dark places of the old boards Frown Any one else remember it?

Anyway Happy St Georges Day everyone and may you have success at slaying your own particular dragons this year.

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 23 2013, 3:25pm

Post #2 of 27 (130 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORNiversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how many message boards have so many members who have been around 10+ years. I know there are a lot of us. Here's to many more!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 3:43pm

Post #3 of 27 (131 views)
Shortcut
Happy joint TORniversary and St George's Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to many more years of happy posting. Smile I hope I'm still here in 10 years time. We might be discussing The Children of Hurin TV programme by then!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 23 2013, 3:44pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 23 2013, 4:11pm

Post #4 of 27 (130 views)
Shortcut
No dragon slaying, if you please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy TORniversary, Hengist! Time flies when we're having fun! And Happy St George's - and Shakespeare's birthday! A proud day to be a Brit - cheers! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

imin
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 4:19pm

Post #5 of 27 (131 views)
Shortcut
You mean English Greendragon? And Happy Torniversary Hengist! [In reply to] Can't Post

St. George is patron saint of England and Shakespeare was English as far as we know. Minor thing really. Another note I always think its a little odd we have St. George as the English Saint anyway, lol.

But yes Happy St. George's Day to my fellow Englishmen and women (though of course anyone can celebrate it and all things English and Happy TORniversary Hengist. Smile

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 23 2013, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 27 (115 views)
Shortcut
A very lucky 13 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy TORNiversary Hengist.

So, is St George's Day marked at all in the UK? St Patrick's Day has green beer and bread - so for St George's you ... do what?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

imin
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 8:05pm

Post #7 of 27 (133 views)
Shortcut
Nothing happens anywhere pretty much [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not a national holiday for England and i have seen no flags or parties for this day anywhere i have lived or been on this day in the past.

I think it is down to perhaps less importance placed on English culture compared to what the Scots, Welsh or Irish place on theirs and in England it is almost seen as a bad thing to be proud of your country or to celebrate English culture.

England is becoming increasingly multicultural though which could be causing a dilution of what is classed as English culture and so people just don't care? I have no idea why it isn't - just not a very patriotic lot and i don't see anything too wrong with that, lol.

I think it would be nice to have a day to celebrate all that is English though and have a day off for it, would be fun.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 23 2013, 10:58pm

Post #8 of 27 (99 views)
Shortcut
I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

at least one thread of silly dragon-battling fun on a St George's Day. I suppose I could be remembering what you're remembering! And it *was* fun dressing up with our alternate nicks on special days!

Happy St George's Day, and more importantly, happy TORniversary to you, Hengist. :-) Glad you're still here after 13 years. I do wonder if other message boards have this same level of longevity!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 2:04am

Post #9 of 27 (91 views)
Shortcut
A long standing tradition it's become [In reply to] Can't Post

and marking St. George's Day too.Wink

Thank you for your many years of service to our community. Llongyfarchiadau.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 2:16am

Post #10 of 27 (83 views)
Shortcut
And many happy returns of your TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

St. George and Smaug? Unless he's got an ancient Black Arrow, he might not stand a chance! Laugh

My eldest once drew a picture of St. George battling the Dragon - in a game of chess.

Thirteen years? That's a lucky number! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 2:22am

Post #11 of 27 (84 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary Hengist :) [In reply to] Can't Post

and a Happy St Georges Day to you too :D

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 3:17am

Post #12 of 27 (78 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary, Hengist! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wowie, 13 whole years! It *is* amazing, isn't it, to think back to your 13 and 1/2 years ago self and imagine being part of a web-based community for so long? I must say It's been an honor and a pleasure knowing you, joking around (not that we *ever* do that around here Laugh) and 'working' with you for the past decade+. Here's to another, and another!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 3:24am

Post #13 of 27 (74 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

And happy St George's Day - a most auspicious date to celebrate your anniversary!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Asclepias
Rivendell

Apr 24 2013, 3:40am

Post #14 of 27 (76 views)
Shortcut
I do believe [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a Glaurung the Magnificent at one point.Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 8:36am

Post #15 of 27 (68 views)
Shortcut
I think this is it ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
England is becoming increasingly multicultural though which could be causing a dilution of what is classed as English culture and so people just don't care? I have no idea why it isn't - just not a very patriotic lot and i don't see anything too wrong with that, lol.

I only knew it was St George's Day when logging on to here. Do I care? A bit, but I don't see why we should make a big fuss out of it, like St Patrick's Day (which really only promotes excessive drinking). I think it's definitely a case of people not caring, for a variety of reasons (people not knowing the actual data, people not caring, a growing non-religious community in England, lack of knowledge from younger generations, growing ethnic community in the UK and so on). I find the concept of having a patron saint a little baffling. But then again, I am not religious, especially as the story also has nothing to do with England.

Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 9:25am

Post #16 of 27 (60 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

I went looking for that thread... be alas... WHAT FUN!

Thirteen years look good on you :D And here's to 13 + 13 + 13, etc.

Cheers, Hengist!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 1:35pm

Post #17 of 27 (65 views)
Shortcut
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Cychwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Words for St. Georges to live by. Literally.

Happy TORniversary!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 24 2013, 3:33pm

Post #18 of 27 (61 views)
Shortcut
No, I chose my words carefully... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm British; and on St George's day, I celebrate the English part of that, just as I celebrate the other parts on the other saints' days! So yes, St George is patron saint of England and Shakespeare was English; and that makes me proud. But I'm a Brit. Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

imin
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 3:55pm

Post #19 of 27 (57 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see myself as British in a way - i know it's what my passport says etc but i am English not British.

Thinking about it now i think you are the first person i know who thinks of themselves more as British than English, Scottish, Welsh - i am sure there are loads of people like you but i had not met any until now.

Smile

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 5:48pm

Post #20 of 27 (44 views)
Shortcut
Happy Torniversary! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Storm clouds

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 6:07pm

Post #21 of 27 (45 views)
Shortcut
There was a St George's Day parade in Brighton this year.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... at least I think it was Brighton - on our local news, anyway. Loads of cute kids in pillow cases with red crosses painted on, wearing cardboard knight's helmets and waving flags - and some dressed as dragons too - to celebrate multiculturalism, according to the news report. I've never known that happen before, but it seemed like a fun idea. Lots of talk of St George's Day on Twitter too - perhaps it's making a comeback.

*Waits patiently for the return of Oak Apple Day Tongue

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 6:19pm

Post #22 of 27 (46 views)
Shortcut
Not green ones obviously! [In reply to] Can't Post

And actually better not talk about slaying red ones round here either!

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 6:23pm

Post #23 of 27 (43 views)
Shortcut
Its had a bit of a resurgence [In reply to] Can't Post

possibly because of Welsh/N.Irish/Scottish devolution. Ive heard of more events about it

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 27 (42 views)
Shortcut
I know a few [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I'm English and have lived in Scotland and am now living in Wales

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2013, 6:30pm

Post #25 of 27 (43 views)
Shortcut
Thanks all [In reply to] Can't Post

Torn is such a nice place to hang around

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.