Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Paper book or ebook?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Paper book or ebook?
Paper book for me, nothing can beat that.
Ebook! It is far more practical and I can carry my library in my ereader.
I don't read.
View Results (88 votes)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 6:32pm

Post #26 of 53 (338 views)
Shortcut
I know a lot of people like e- books, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't stand e- books. Only the real thing to me! Love my IPad for email and surfing the net, but to read more than a quick article I need a paper book. Somehow e- books are not satisfying to me.

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 21 2013, 2:28am

Post #27 of 53 (333 views)
Shortcut
Choices are too limiting [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't read.

These choices are too limited. The choices aren't just paper, ebook, or "I don't read"!

I prefer to purchase paper copies of books which I will either read or refer to repeatedly. I love paper books. I love the sell and the feel. I love electronic copies for the convenience and portability.

Am I a Dwarf and don't belong anywhere then? Frown

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Apr 21 2013, 3:27pm

Post #28 of 53 (322 views)
Shortcut
Limited Choices [In reply to] Can't Post

If you read a couple of the previous posts - the thread really isn't that long that you can't in a minute or two - you'll find that the limited choice was intentional and why it was intentional. It's a valid polling technique.

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 21 2013, 3:44pm

Post #29 of 53 (314 views)
Shortcut
JWPlatt sums it pretty well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I don't read.

These choices are too limited. The choices aren't just paper, ebook, or "I don't read"!

I prefer to purchase paper copies of books which I will either read or refer to repeatedly. I love paper books. I love the sell and the feel. I love electronic copies for the convenience and portability.

Am I a Dwarf and don't belong anywhere then? Frown

It is not so much limited. It gives you just enough the make a clear choice here. I know lots of people would have wanted to choose ''both'' but I found it too easy an answer now everyone has to be wet and I am satisfied to see that some who've participated were torn. But the fact is that the thread has leaned toward paper which gives a clear answer to what you would choose between the two. Nonetheless you can share your thoughts and opinions on the subject as you and many other have done.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 21 2013, 3:49pm)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 5:05pm

Post #30 of 53 (303 views)
Shortcut
there's a bit of humor [In reply to] Can't Post

... in that we're lauding paper and the format in which we are writing our paens is digital.

cheers --

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 21 2013, 5:20pm

Post #31 of 53 (292 views)
Shortcut
It's the smell and feel of a paper book that gets to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

But when I go visiting my family it's hard to bring fifteen books with me, so I read eBooks on my laptop.

There's nothing like discovering an old worn-out paperback of a classic science fiction novel in a library.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 5:48pm

Post #32 of 53 (295 views)
Shortcut
What do you mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to write my opinion down on paper and send it by post office to the caretakers of this site. You mean there's another way?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 5:57pm

Post #33 of 53 (294 views)
Shortcut
what --- ? [In reply to] Can't Post

what, you're too good for clay tablets and a chisel?

pfffft....

cheers --

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 6:19pm

Post #34 of 53 (297 views)
Shortcut
Books are People too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been considering investing in an e-reader (like Kindle or Nook), but just cannot give up my paper books, as much as I love Trees Blush. They're almost like good friends--when I misplace one and then find it, it's like "Oh there you are! I've been looking all over for you! Let's sit down and have a read, shall we?".

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 8:09pm

Post #35 of 53 (351 views)
Shortcut
The Library of Minas Tirith [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't we all like to be in here for about a year and a day?

Or here?

Heatherleawv
Bree

Apr 21 2013, 11:35pm

Post #36 of 53 (272 views)
Shortcut
Love [In reply to] Can't Post

that pic of Gandalf surounded by books! I definately prefer paper version, I love the feel of the book and the pages, especially if it's an older book! Smile

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 11:46pm

Post #37 of 53 (256 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf is in book-lover's heaven. Great photo. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 11:50pm

Post #38 of 53 (270 views)
Shortcut
No one has brought up the dark side yet [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone else have fights with their siblings as children? My brother was 2 years older than me, so when we got into combat, I could throw a book at him to slow him down. And yes, he threw them back, but I usually had the element of surprise as the one who reads more. Then when parents appeared, there was no proof of our strife, just a few books that happened to be off the shelf. I think Kindles wouldn't survive being thrown around the room too often and would leave incriminating evidence, in addition to the cost of replacing them.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2013, 1:28am

Post #39 of 53 (293 views)
Shortcut
Now there's an idea: [In reply to] Can't Post

This is, after all, a "Message Board".

So maybe we could make scans of all the physical letters we receive, and "pin" them to a large screen-size "board", and everyone could read them there!

CuriousG, you may have just invented a new type of "social networking"- perfect for those with 56k dial-up modems!

Tongue

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 3:52pm

Post #40 of 53 (254 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I find reading on my Nook much more convenient, however, if said book is one I find worthy of adding to my collection, then I've got to have the hard copy. Anyone who gazed upon the collection of romance novels my mother and her sisters collected and stored at my grandmother's 3-story farm house would instantly appreciate the e-reader.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 4:23pm

Post #41 of 53 (264 views)
Shortcut
Although I am (as stated earlier) biased towards traditional books... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will admit to be impressed with the e-book's ability to contain a library's worth of material all at once. That is extremely useful as long as you can keep the unit powered and in good working order.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 12:08am

Post #42 of 53 (288 views)
Shortcut
There's also the apocalyspe factor [In reply to] Can't Post

When the power goes off due to zombies, aliens, cyborgs, mutated computer viruses, etc etc and civilization is trying to restart... those kindles won't be good for very much unless there's a solar power charger.... paper books have endured for centuries.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 1:09pm

Post #43 of 53 (207 views)
Shortcut
I have about 2000 real books in my small house, and 600 books in my kindle. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you force me to choose, I'll go with paper. But I have to admit that for books I may not read often, the kindle is sure a space-saver.

I definitely wouldn't want the e-books to take over. But I'd be sad to lose them too. And as a self-publisher, I have better luck selling my e-books than my hard copies (though I won't quit my day job on either account.)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 1:50pm

Post #44 of 53 (212 views)
Shortcut
Paper. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've even been reading an e-book, and was enjoying it so much that i picked up a hardback version and continued with that, because it's just a better reading experience. E-books have their place, but paper is where it's at.

Same thing with music. I'll download some music, if it's something new i'm checking out, or it's just a single song that i like. But if it's a favorite band or artist, i always get a hard copy, in whatever deluxe edition is available.

I like being able to see my favorite things displayed on my shelves around my house, being able to pick them up and hold them.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 23 2013, 1:53pm)

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 4:02pm

Post #45 of 53 (230 views)
Shortcut
sucessfull poll [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to thank you all for answering this poll and keeping voting if you havn't got the chance yet. 100 votes I am pleased to see that this subject can lit up some passions as we're probably all fond of reading books.

imin
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 10:07pm

Post #46 of 53 (188 views)
Shortcut
Books [In reply to] Can't Post

I use both - currently more ebooks and i actually prefer reading academic books from my laptop as i can search for things faster and if i go to the library i only need to bring my laptop not about 20 massive books.

Though i do collect Tolkien books and there is something special when holding one of those (to me) precious books!

I think if you are really into the work then nothing can beat the experience of a real book but e-books are not bad at all either.

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 26 2013, 10:17pm

Post #47 of 53 (159 views)
Shortcut
Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

We've our first vote ''I don't read'' ! Which means either someone is all the way for audiobook or is a fan of Peter jackson's adaptations first and formost.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2013, 10:33pm

Post #48 of 53 (163 views)
Shortcut
or.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. a prankster..

cheers --

Sam20
Lorien

Apr 26 2013, 11:26pm

Post #49 of 53 (201 views)
Shortcut
Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess it could be a prankster but perhaps not. Those who've read Tolkien's Middle-earth works on this forum will think of books but for some LOTR and The Hobbit are movies. They might not like reading but are introduced to middle-earth (and this forum) by another way.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Apr 26 2013, 11:27pm)

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 27 2013, 3:59pm

Post #50 of 53 (145 views)
Shortcut
Still too limiting, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

I did read the entire thread as it existed before I posted.

Valid polling technique? only if you wish to limit people to a choice which isn't representative of what they really want as should be obvious if you read all the responses.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.