Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
beren and luthien full narrative?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 10:06am

Post #1 of 6 (190 views)
Shortcut
beren and luthien full narrative? Can't Post

ive got pretty much all the books. silmarillion, lotr, hobbit, unfinished, part 1-5 of hOmE and part 12 of hOmE.
no where in these books is a full narrative given properly. the histories series, is just a mess of manuscripts and poems, whicharent really a propper narrative (though i do like the inclusion of boldogs attack)Smile.
now the silmarillion has the only known narrative in it. but even that is too short in my eyes. if only tolkien or chris decided to extend it a bit like children of hurin, then we would have the best love story ever toldEvilHeart.
and why in the final cut of the silmarillion version of this story, did tolkien leave out the attack on doriath by Boldog?! that to me seems like a wasteUnsure

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Apr 24 2013, 7:52am

Post #2 of 6 (81 views)
Shortcut
I've looked and looked [In reply to] Can't Post

And unless buried in the lawn of the Professor's old home there is a 300 page tale of it that no one knew about I expect that is all we will see of it. I have often been tempted to write more of it myself as I guess fanfic might be the only option. A lot of the Silmarillion is like that . Just glimpses of things that really only scratch the surface if you think about it. I suppose if Tolkien was a professional writer and had nothing else to do with his life save write his tales the Silm could have been a book of several thousand pages. I did once write an extended version of the fifth battle!

boldog
Rohan

Apr 24 2013, 8:28am

Post #3 of 6 (72 views)
Shortcut
if only.... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol if tolkien had just dedicated most of his time to it, and not changing his mind all the time, i can see the silmarillion being as thick as the bible! (well technically it is in middle earthLaugh)
and it seems cool that you have actually written extensions of the original stories. i actually attempted this some time ago with the abandonned work of his called the new shadow (found in the peoples of middle earth).

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 24 2013, 1:47pm

Post #4 of 6 (66 views)
Shortcut
I will admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

The story "Of Beren and Lúthien" would have been my first pick as a tale from The Silmarillion to receive the The Children of Hurin treatment.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 24 2013, 1:48pm)

Elthir
Gondor

Apr 24 2013, 1:55pm

Post #5 of 6 (78 views)
Shortcut
long and short versions [In reply to] Can't Post

As I understand things Quenta Silmarillion was meant to contain the short[er] version, just as with The Children of Hurin for example. In other words, there was supposed to be at least two versions of certain of the 'Great Tales', and QS was to contain the abbreviated prose account.

In the early 1950s Tolkien began his updated long prose version of the Beren and Luthien tale [and the long poetic version too], but both remain unfinished.

The long prose version -- what there is of it anyway -- wasn't published because [I assume] it was basically a prose telling of the Lay and introduced no notable new changes to the story [see HME V for a reference to this work]. The updated but also unfinished long prose version of The Fall of Gondolin -- again what there is of it -- was published in Unfinished Tales [see also Of Maeglin in HME].

Also, there is not enough of it [updated Beren and Luthien] to construct a one volume long prose version like we have with the fairly recent The Children of Hurin; and the early version from The Book of Lost Tales is quite different of course, and not merely in style.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Apr 24 2013, 2:05pm)

wildespace
The Shire

Jun 6 2013, 10:35am

Post #6 of 6 (21 views)
Shortcut
Lay of Leithian [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a fan-compiled version of the Lay of Leithian, that brings various fragments of the poem together and fills the rest in from The Silmarillion: http://tolkienleithian.blogspot.co.uk/

As for prose, there are several versions. Some of them are finished, but differ from the "canon". I guess that unless the Estate takes it up (which I highly doubt), talented fans can put their mind to it and make a full-blown tale of Beren and Luthien.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.