The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
EW.com article - PJ Not Directing 'The Hobbit'

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2007, 3:43pm

Post #1 of 7 (970 views)
Shortcut
EW.com article - PJ Not Directing 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

I've posted the link to the entire article below, but here is one snippet that has quite a bit of info on why he can't do it and why we may not see a script for a while:

Jackson and his life/creative partner Walsh have always envisioned the big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit as two movies. The first would deal with the 80-year old novel. The second, imagined entirely by Jackson and Walsh, would link the conclusion of The Hobbit to the start of the first Lord of the Rings book, The Fellowship of the Ring. New Line and Jackson will develop the properties over the next year with hopes of entering into pre-production by 2009 for a 2010 and 2011 release. No writers, including Jackson, Walsh, and their longtime partner Philippa Boyens, have been commissioned. (None can be, because of the strike.)
New Line has already decided that both films will be produced at the same time, in similar fashion to how the LOTR trilogy was put together, and no budgets have been assigned the films yet. According to New Line's co-chair Robert Shaye, "You can't budget an idea."
While MGM and New Line want to keep Jackson's involvement in the film as broad as possible, hinting that he may take up both writing and directing responsibilities, Jackson's manager Ken Kamins told Hollywood Insider that Jackson won't be directing the films. "Peter won't be directing because he felt the fans have waited long enough for The Hobbit. It will take the better part of every day of the next four
years to write, direct and produce two Hobbit films. Given his current obligations to both The Lovely Bones and Tintin, waiting for Peter, Fran, and Phillippa to write, direct and produce The Hobbit would
require the fans wait even longer."

Directors Sam Raimi (Spider-Man), Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth), and Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) are still the names that come up as alternate possiblities, but no official creative decision has been made.
"There is obviously a small but significant number of directors who could handle two films of this magnitude, but we have no commitment to anybody," Shaye said. "Now that Peter is an integral part of the decision-making process, we all have to see eye-to-eye on any candidate we try to enlist."
Those creative pow-wows are set to begin in early 2008 when New Line plans to sit down with Jackson to hash out critical details. (Jackson will be filming The Lovely Bones through February.)"

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/...ack-to-mid.html#more

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

(This post was edited by deej on Dec 19 2007, 3:44pm)

TomthePilgrim
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 7 (770 views)
Shortcut
PJ not to direct . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I caught a report on CNBC that said the same thing . . . he doesn't want to delay to project until 2010 (or 2011) so that he can direct.
However, the person reporting the story did state that the current Hollywood Writer's Strike could change things. He stated that, if the strike continues and projects start getting cancelled because of the lack of scripts, PJ's schedule could open up.
I think I'd rather wait for PJ to direct, myself. PJ has his style stamped all over the Trilogy, and I would like some continuity between the two. If the Hobbit Duology is directed by someone else, it's going to be ripe for criticism and over-analysis from the start.

"I am Gandalf, and Galdalf means me!"

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,

NoseOfSauron
Bree

Dec 19 2007, 5:34pm

Post #3 of 7 (758 views)
Shortcut
Totally! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would much rather wait for PJ to direct, he is a fantastic director.

Screw those other third-rate films Pete. Middle-Earth is calling you once again!

Looking from atop his great tower, he could see across the sea to the land of Middle-Earth. The sundering sea could not sunder his vision. From afar, he spoke with the mortals of the distant land. From across the sea, he stirred the fire of battle and kindled the candle of hope in the hearts of all who fought the shadow. From atop his great tower in Valinor, Manwe spoke the words to Cirdan...

"My name... is Gandalf the Grey."

jabbernaut

Dec 19 2007, 5:44pm

Post #4 of 7 (746 views)
Shortcut
A fair list of of other directors... [In reply to] Can't Post

... (except for Sam Raimi, he just doesn't sit right with me for this project, no matter how much I love Spiderman)...

But where is Gore Verbinski?

He's much like PJ in style, and very knowledgeable in the effects department. I think he'd be a great choice if PJ doesn't direct.

Nazguy
Bree

Dec 19 2007, 6:43pm

Post #5 of 7 (711 views)
Shortcut
PJ all the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pete just has to do it. It's his destiny to go down in cinema history as the man that brought Tolkien's books to life! I can't imagine him wanting any other director to mess with that vital continuity between the LOTR films.

Verbinski would be a good second choice, he's pretty versatile. I really wouldn't want Raimi to have anything to do with it, I can't imagine him getting the tone right.

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 8:34pm

Post #6 of 7 (744 views)
Shortcut
This just piles insult on injury. [In reply to] Can't Post

To think that he has one of the two "delaying" projects already in the can, and a Tintin film is the only thing that would keep him and Fran and Philippa from being on the set every day, emailing David Salo from the set with script suggestions, etc, every day. Where they should be.

At this point, all I can say is, thank God for the writers. I hear they've refused to grant waivers to the Golden Globes and Oscars, and are even denying the show's producers to use old film clips for the telecast! I will get down on my knees and pray every day that the strike goes until February at least! Which it may, because both parties are being more stubborn. The studios are all owned by corporate media behemoths and are circling the wagons, but the writers are determined to be more adamant b/c unlike in 1988, they KNOW what they will be losing this time, if they give in.

Remember, reality shows only as as long as their ratings do. If these hastily planned shows start to sink in ratings, the Studios will be back to square one, as they can't count on the viewers to "support" them.

merklynn
Lorien

Dec 19 2007, 9:11pm

Post #7 of 7 (749 views)
Shortcut
PJ schedule [In reply to] Can't Post

I could be mistaken, but I read that PJ only just arrived back in NZ from wrapping shooting for the American location work for Lovely Bones. They have more film work on Lovely Bones in NZ now I believe. So it's not in the can. And Tin Tin is a three movie deal with both Spielbug and Jackson directing one of the three each, so as long as Spielburg can be an understanding fellow, there's a chance PJ can be more heavily involved in The Hobbit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.