Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Favourite Tolkien quotations?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 3:54pm

Post #1 of 50 (706 views)
Shortcut
Favourite Tolkien quotations? Can't Post

What are your favourite Tolkien quotations?

I'll go with:

Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possesses ourselves.

(But it's close !)

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 4:14pm

Post #2 of 50 (336 views)
Shortcut
My favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

"Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair the mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglish like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came."

I especially love the last sentence. Tolkien has several of these 3-4 word sentences like this in the Silmarillion that stop the reader dead so that it's impossible to miss the significance.

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 4:35pm

Post #3 of 50 (293 views)
Shortcut
@Finwe- i Like the way all those "and" a build up to the last one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 50 (301 views)
Shortcut
Bless you and curse you [In reply to] Can't Post

Bless you for starting this topic, noWiz, but curse you (not really) for implicitly limiting me to one among zillions. Should we make this a weekly topic in the Reading Room like those on Off Topic, "What is your favorite Tolkien quote this week?"

I'm going to cheat and put down two (for this week) because they go together. They're from Galadriel talking to Frodo in "The Mirror of Galadriel."

"We must depart into the West, or dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten."

"I have passed the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel."

I had a hard time understanding the Elves on my first few reads. They're not only sad, they're content being sad. In this day and age, you don't accept sadness, you get counseling and take Prozac to be happy again. Tolkien thinks they grow wiser through their sadness and that it's okay to be that way; honorable, even.

These two wistful remarks are replete with sadness and acceptance. The first, of course, reflects the debate in Galadriel's own mind about whether she should take/accept the Ring from Frodo and what she would do with it to forestall "the long defeat." The second comes when she's made up her mind, sadder and wiser than before. It crystallizes in my mind the whole Elvish approach to the world that's profoundly different from other races'. You wouldn't hear those words coming from hobbits, Dwarves, or Men.

The other thing that personally resonates with me is the "slowly to forget and to be forgotten." Whenever I've had to part with someone in real life, that line blazes through my mind.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 5:36pm

Post #5 of 50 (284 views)
Shortcut
Not so much a quote but [In reply to] Can't Post

a poem within The Lord of the Rings that I love.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 5:58pm

Post #6 of 50 (259 views)
Shortcut
@CuriousG- no limit on the number of goes! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 6:24pm

Post #7 of 50 (259 views)
Shortcut
OK, but I like the idea of a weekly or monthly thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can we see what others say? My guess is most people have multiple quotes they like, but could be wrong.

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 7:00pm

Post #8 of 50 (252 views)
Shortcut
I think that a monthly thread would be good [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many wonderful Tolkien quotes and one can discover/re-discover new ones all the time.A regular thread is a good idea and I think monthly would be about the right spacing between threads in terms of getting people to join in and also in picking up new members' ideas. Mind you, at the rate at which RR threads are falling off the front page at the moment maybe weekly might be necessary?!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 50 (259 views)
Shortcut
This shouldn't come as any surprise [In reply to] Can't Post

But one of my favorites comes from Arwen in Appendix A:

"Nay, dear lord," she said, "that choice is long over. There is now no ship that would bear me hence, and I must abide the Doom of Men, whether I will or I nill: the loss and the silence. But I say to you, King of the Númenoreans, not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive."

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 8:58pm

Post #10 of 50 (256 views)
Shortcut
Two from me [In reply to] Can't Post

From my namesake, speaking to Tuor: 'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

And from Finrod, speaking to Andreth the Wise: 'But you are not for Arda. Whither you go may you find light. Await us there, my brother - and me.'

And a bonus one, Miriel, speaking to Finwe: 'I erred in leaving thee and our son, or at the least in not soon returning after brief repose; for had I done so he might have grown wiser. But the children of Indis shall redress his errors and therefore I am glad that they should have being, and Indis hath my love. How should I bear grudge against one who received what I rejected and cherished what I abandoned?'

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 9:47pm

Post #11 of 50 (243 views)
Shortcut
From Tolkien's lecture 'Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics' - [In reply to] Can't Post

â€œHe is a man, and that for him and many is sufficient tragedy” (18).

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 9:51pm

Post #12 of 50 (237 views)
Shortcut
Learn now the Lore of Living Creatures! [In reply to] Can't Post

First name the four, the free peoples:
Eldest of all, the elf-children;
Dwarf the delver, dark are his houses;
Ent the earthborn, old as mountains;
Man the mortal, master of horses:
Beaver the builder, buck the leaper,
Bear bee-hunter, boar the fighter;
Hound is hungry, hare is fearful,
Eagle in eyrie, ox in pasture,
Hart horn-crownéd; hawk is swiftest,
Swan the whitest, serpent coldest...
Not really a quotation, but I like Treebeard's list.

Other quotations (among so very many!):

"It does not do to leave a live Dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

"Never laugh at live Dragons".

“It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”

“For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 9:58pm

Post #13 of 50 (225 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are all very beautiful. It's been years since I've read through the Athrabeth. Someday when life is less hectic, there are many things from Tolkien I need to read through again. Aldarion and Erendis is another.

The one from Miriel is one of my favorites! That tale is so incredibly rich, and it saddens me that most don't get to read it.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 9:59pm

Post #14 of 50 (227 views)
Shortcut
Just read two of these [In reply to] Can't Post

"It does not do to leave a live Dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

& "Never laugh at live Dragons."

I've been reading through The Hobbit with my little brother and sister for their first time, and we just read this chapter. Smile

demnation
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 10:03pm

Post #15 of 50 (231 views)
Shortcut
The following really captures what I think is at the heart of Tolkien's work [In reply to] Can't Post

Hurin soon marked that Turin did not wear the knife, and he asked him whether his warning had made him fear it. Then Turin answered: "No, but I gave the knife to Sador the woodwright."
"Do you then scorn your fathers gift?" said Morwen; and again Turin answered: "No; but I love Sador, and I am sorry for him.'
Then Hurin said: 'All three gifts were your own to give, Turin: love, pity, and the knife the least.'

Use Well the Days

demnation
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 10:05pm

Post #16 of 50 (209 views)
Shortcut
Great Idea [In reply to] Can't Post

You have my vote, for what it's worth.

Use Well the Days

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 12:00am

Post #17 of 50 (208 views)
Shortcut
This One [In reply to] Can't Post

"We are not bound forever to the circles of the world and beyond them is more than memory." And that is why Death is the gift of Illuvatar to Men. Aragorn always understood it. The greatest of his race, the son of Arathorn.

squire
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 12:01am

Post #18 of 50 (236 views)
Shortcut
'tamarisk and pungent terebinth' [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, this captures Tolkien's gift of making poetry out of a landscape. I admit to loving this one so much that I built an entire discussion around it, in spirit at least.
Many great trees grew there, planted long ago, falling into untended age amid a riot of careless descendants; and groves and thickets there were of tamarisk and pungent terebinth, of olive and of bay; and there were junipers and myrtles; and thymes that grew in bushes, or with their woody creeping stems mantled in deep tapestries the hidden stones; sages of many kinds putting forth blue flowers, or red, or pale green; and marjorams and new-sprouting parsleys, and many herbs of forms and scents beyond the garden-lore of Sam. The grots and rocky walls were already starred with saxifrages and stonecrops. Primeroles and anemones were awake in the filbert-brakes; and asphodel and many lily-flowers nodded their half-opened heads in the grass: deep green grass beside the pools, where falling streams halted in cool hollows on their journey down to Anduin. (LotR IV.4)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 23 2013, 12:36am

Post #19 of 50 (199 views)
Shortcut
"Begone, foul Dwimmerlaik!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn's adamant anger and refusal to be cowed - as well as the delicious language - makes this one of my favourite lines from Tolkien.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 1:38am

Post #20 of 50 (197 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I love this :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ithilien Smile

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 1:51am

Post #21 of 50 (205 views)
Shortcut
One of these I posted the other day... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it is my favorite so will post it again..

"He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams. He began to say to himself: "Perhaps I shall cross the River myself one day." To which the other half of his mind always replied: "Not yet."

I also love the bit where Shelob is being described "('his cat' he calls her, but she owns him not)

And this...."Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

THIS needs to be a serial post friends! Awesome idea NoWiz!!!!!! Angelic

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 1:56am

Post #22 of 50 (199 views)
Shortcut
Mine is much more simple: [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and things that look like Ents but ain't, as you might say."

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 6:05am

Post #23 of 50 (186 views)
Shortcut
Happy with doing this each month - easy enough: someone just starts a thread mid month// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 8:28am

Post #24 of 50 (225 views)
Shortcut
Pish tush. All these namby-pamby quotes about trees and flowers... [In reply to] Can't Post

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battlefury of his fathers ran like new tire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

Listen without getting tears in your eyes, I dare you. (warning: 12 Mb download)

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 23 2013, 8:30am)

telain
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 2:50pm

Post #25 of 50 (174 views)
Shortcut
superb [In reply to] Can't Post

So desperate, brave, and noble. Brings tears to my eyes every time. I seem to forget quite a bit of the Sil when I am not reading it, but I never forget the feeling of that scene.

You've identified something I notice, too. Those last sentences that seem so final -- even when they are not. "And Morgoth came." is the beginning of the battle, but we read it already as the end.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.