Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Elves of Middle Earth sketches

Adelid89

Apr 23 2013, 1:04am

Post #1 of 7 (2331 views)
Shortcut
Elves of Middle Earth sketches Can't Post

I LOVE the elves of Middle Earth! Something that makes them otherworldly and beautiful; majestic in their own rights. It feels so incredible!

http://cloudstrifejen.deviantart.com/art/Elves-of-Middle-Earth-sketches-366520531?q=gallery%3Acloudstrifejen&qo=0

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 1:18am

Post #2 of 7 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Very good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Elves, but can you make their ears just a little but more pointy? That is an elf's key trait. Other than that, very nice work! I've been inspired to start drawing again myself, I just need to get more organized.

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 11:19am

Post #3 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut
this link doesn't work for me [In reply to] Can't Post

... sadly...

but it's great that you are inspired to make art! (speaking as an artist myself.)

many cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Adelid89

Apr 24 2013, 12:29am

Post #4 of 7 (1734 views)
Shortcut
No worries! [In reply to] Can't Post

aww! no worries! there are more talented artists around the web to meet and see their artworks! Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 24 2013, 8:22am

Post #5 of 7 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Does a clickable link work for you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Try this.

Smile

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 10:31pm

Post #6 of 7 (1721 views)
Shortcut
better! thanks, daniel! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

these are lovely, thanks so much for sharing, adelid. : )

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 22 2013, 6:24pm

Post #7 of 7 (2112 views)
Shortcut
Elves!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice anime inspired art (I detect a faint touch of Disney at its best as well).

The link worked fine if you copied and pasted it...

As for the ears, I maintained for years (of D&D, and cosplay, and my own art and writing) that Elves DID NOT have pointy ears. The pointy-ear thing seemed to cliche and cartoony, too much a degenerate myth... or, (to misquote Galadriel) myth turned fairy tale turned trite cutesey stuff. Tolkien, I believed, never said anything about ears. He did say a great deal about "sea-grey eyes" and "light in their eyes" and so on about eyes eyes eyes.

I think it may have been WETA's fine character designs that finally made me like the pointy ears.

The ear thing is a throwback to early myths: mythic beings having characteristics tied to the Natural World, having some animal characteristics (hooves, horns, antlers... think centaurs, fauns, godlings of field, pasture and wood)... or leaf-shaped ears.

My favorite fictional character (before I discovered Middle Earth in 1978) was Star Trek's Spock... pointy ears belonged to Vulcans. Then I realized (as did a sci-fi writer whose essay I read) that Spock is descended from the same archetype. He is all science and logic (on the surface, at least), Tolkien's Elves are more emotional (in the books), but at the core they have the same mythic DNA.

I waxed eloquent on the subject (or at least went on at some length) here...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1722626/1/That-Darn-Elf-a-random-musing

Go outside and play...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.