Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
it just gets better...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

andwise
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 1:24pm

Post #1 of 45 (1642 views)
Shortcut
it just gets better... Can't Post

We have,in our house now,seen the hobbit a fair few times since purchasing it on blue-ray a couple of weeks ago...and it just gets better and better.I don't know what it is,I may have to come back with another post with my reasons but it just imroves with more viewings.
Now I understand that some will still decry it as inferior to LOTR and I can see where these people are coming from.rings always felt like high art in a way,where the hobbit is more just a cracking movie made from a great tale,a ripping yarn,if you will.
But arguments about that aside,it is a gift that keeps giving.the music just keeps unvieling more and more genius.the acting stands so much scrutiny it continues to impress and inspire,and if there has ever been a more fantastic character than Barry humphries' great goblin ,I can't think of one! His delivery of the '...perhaps you know of whom I speak....a pale orc...astride a white warg...!' Line,is just jaw dropping and raises the hairs on my arm every time.
Is anyone else getting more out of it with further viewings? I do hope so :-)

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 1:43pm

Post #2 of 45 (788 views)
Shortcut
For me, not so much. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched the blu-ray 3.5 times (and 3 times in the theater), and i have zero desire to watch it again anytime soon. In fact, i'm getting more of an itch to watch FotR again than i am AUJ. AUJ just doesn't have me addicted to watching it like any of the LotR movies did, and always have. By this point in the year with each of the first trilogy's films, i'd already seen them over 20 times. In fact, i've watched the Production Diaries more times than i have the movie. I am looking forward to the EE with baited breath, though.

imin
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 1:54pm

Post #3 of 45 (708 views)
Shortcut
Its great you are enjoying it more and more [In reply to] Can't Post

that is all we can hope for when a film is released. bring on DOS!

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 3:44pm

Post #4 of 45 (629 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice more in it each time, and expect to be watching it over and over again until the extended version - and the next film, of course. So glad they went for three, or we would have missed out on such a lot.

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 45 (607 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is one of the reasons why I kept getting drawn back to see it again and again in the theaters. Since I've had the Blu-Ray DVD though, I have only watched it three times. I need a bigger screen! Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 4:04pm

Post #6 of 45 (645 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

No wish to revisit TH until the arrival of the sacrosanct EEdition.

I dont seem to be able to watch the hobbit without fast forwarding scenes, getting bored, rolling my eyes, feeling imaptience at all the jacksisms, so it is not really enoyable for me. Unsure

From time to time i take a quick peak at The Unexected party and re watch Dwalins banter with Bilbo.Heart

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 4:18pm

Post #7 of 45 (629 views)
Shortcut
Agreed...it doesn't have much rewatch value, for me...I tend to fastforward through a lot of it. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've watched the blu-ray 3.5 times (and 3 times in the theater), and i have zero desire to watch it again anytime soon. In fact, i'm getting more of an itch to watch FotR again than i am AUJ. AUJ just doesn't have me addicted to watching it like any of the LotR movies did, and always have. By this point in the year with each of the first trilogy's films, i'd already seen them over 20 times. In fact, i've watched the Production Diaries more times than i have the movie. I am looking forward to the EE with baited breath, though.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 5:53pm

Post #8 of 45 (527 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I haven't got to see it recently, my uncle is borrowing it. I would normally be sad about this, but at least someone somewhere is enjoying it. Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 6:18pm

Post #9 of 45 (499 views)
Shortcut
RedBox.com has Hold for Pick-up either DVD or Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby seen it 10 + Times in every format in theatres
so will just wait for the EE to purchase.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 6:34pm

Post #10 of 45 (511 views)
Shortcut
Glad your enjoying it [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel the same way about the first 45 minutes of the film after that I tend to fast forward or just even shut it off.Wink

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 7:21pm

Post #11 of 45 (473 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm too young to rent movies.Unsure

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 7:24pm

Post #12 of 45 (480 views)
Shortcut
AUJ defintely improves with each viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We have,in our house now,seen the hobbit a fair few times since purchasing it on blue-ray a couple of weeks ago...and it just gets better and better.I don't know what it is,I may have to come back with another post with my reasons but it just imroves with more viewings.
Now I understand that some will still decry it as inferior to LOTR and I can see where these people are coming from.rings always felt like high art in a way,where the hobbit is more just a cracking movie made from a great tale,a ripping yarn,if you will.
But arguments about that aside,it is a gift that keeps giving.the music just keeps unvieling more and more genius.the acting stands so much scrutiny it continues to impress and inspire,and if there has ever been a more fantastic character than Barry humphries' great goblin ,I can't think of one! His delivery of the '...perhaps you know of whom I speak....a pale orc...astride a white warg...!' Line,is just jaw dropping and raises the hairs on my arm every time.
Is anyone else getting more out of it with further viewings? I do hope so :-)

I have watched it via 48 hr pay per view service for the last 3 weekends in a row (I was sorta holding out from getting the DVD - hoping to wait for the EE - but I will probably relent since the EE won't be out for a while and pay per view is getting too expensive). I LOVE all the songs and I do find that Bilbo grows into a great member of the team by the end and wonderfully finds his courage when he defends Thorin until the other dwarves get there to help him out. The Misty Mountains song makes me cry. . .

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 10:55pm

Post #13 of 45 (389 views)
Shortcut
It just gets better – agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And I also don't seem to be tiring of this film like I did of TTT and (especially) ROTK, in which some scenes with a few of the characters are quite tedious to watch now.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 12:13am

Post #14 of 45 (361 views)
Shortcut
Partly Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I also don't seem to be tiring of this film like I did of TTT and (especially) ROTK, in which some scenes with a few of the characters are quite tedious to watch now.

I love the TT. It is my favorite of the first three films. And I have watched that more than the others. Haven't watched ROTK much as I can't take some of the changes. I fast forward through a lot of it. The battle scenes are my favorite parts of ROTK.

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 2:10am

Post #15 of 45 (345 views)
Shortcut
The Trolls sequence drags.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the only part of AUJ where I'm like *sigh* 'come on!' and I really wish it was different somehow. I love the Dwarves attacking them but the conversation about them being 'riddled' with something and so unfit to eat is just yawnworthy!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 3:01am

Post #16 of 45 (317 views)
Shortcut
i agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ grows on you, i've seen it three times on bluray so far and each time it gets better.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Apr 23 2013, 3:05am

Post #17 of 45 (328 views)
Shortcut
I agree, although it's hard to compare. [In reply to] Can't Post

With LOTR, I would watch Fellowship, and then immediately TT and ROTK. I would never just watch Fellowship, and then Fellowship again, and then again. Since there were three, I would watch them in that order.

With The Hobbit, we don't have that yet. I agree though, I love watching it and I can watch it again and again. But it will feel even better when we get the EE of all three, and the story comes full circle, then I could watch the first one more often, knowing the middle and end of the story.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 3:55am

Post #18 of 45 (311 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but i *did* watch FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

over and over before TTT came out. I just don't have that with AUJ, even though i do like it (mostly)-- i'm just not loving it like i did with the LotR films. But i'm sure, like you say, once i have all the Hobbit EEs, i'll want to watch them all in a row, many, many times. Of course, i'm assuming(hoping) i'm going to love DoS and TaBA.

imin
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 10:55am

Post #19 of 45 (261 views)
Shortcut
This is how i feel [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched it (AUJ) a few times now but basically i would say i have no more interest in watching it and am bored of it. Though still hopeful for a good DOS and TABA.

For me they just don't have any of that magic that the LOTR films had springled throughout - though they certainly had faults in them as well - most in TTT and ROTK and parts in FOTR i wish were different/added but i think so far other than in small patches AUJ just hasn't reached the heights of its predecessors.

The EE's as you say could change all this and make them into better films with more characterisation and with a better flow and balance.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Apr 23 2013, 3:09pm

Post #20 of 45 (237 views)
Shortcut
It gets a lot better for me with each viewing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched it three times now and enjoying it more with each viewing......and here is i think why.....

1. Knowing the story of the Hobbit (as i did with Lord of the Rings) watching it at first the film is jarring because you pick up all the differences to the books so you arent enjoying it as a 'film'.

2. I dont think it helps comparing it atm to Lotr Trilogy because i think most of us would have watched the extended versions of Lotr and will be comparing it to that.....(the extended versions in my opinion are far superior to the theatrical lotr releases).....

3. The first film covers roughly the same ground (from a visual viewpoint) and starting point of Fotr......and in this I think Peter Jackson has done a great job making the areas feel 'different enough' (Rivendell etc).....the next films have the advantage of being relatively 'new' in the places it is going to show us.....

4. Introducing thirteen Dwarves was no easy task.....the next film will beable to 'start' more quickly and move the story along at an earlier start point......

spoiler

5. I hope the EE will cover more of the Necromancer story arc which i think it will because i guess you will follow Gandalf seperately from the Dwarves (with Bilbo) for probably 2/3rds of the film.....The Necromancer seem more attached on and it was only hinted at what his role is in the story and i think DOS will be quite different.....

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Apr 23 2013, 8:19pm

Post #21 of 45 (216 views)
Shortcut
I guess it was different for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only 11 years old when Fellowship was in theaters, so I wasn't as big of a fan as I am now. I just watched it once or twice, as well as TT, before I finally saw ROTK in theaters at age 13.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 9:13pm

Post #22 of 45 (222 views)
Shortcut
What are you issues with... [In reply to] Can't Post

TTT and ROTK? For me, I don't like when Gimli is blowing away the ghosts in the paths of the dead. I also hate when he farts during the drinking game. I'm sure there are others, but those are what I can think of at the moment.

ETA - I should add that these parts don't affect my overall enjoyment of the films. I easily get past their inclusion because they are few and far between, IMO.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Apr 23 2013, 9:19pm)

andwise
Rivendell

Apr 24 2013, 11:16am

Post #23 of 45 (180 views)
Shortcut
excellent points.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree with the point you make about AUJ feeling to jar a little on first view,this is an unavoidable thing because as you say we all know how the book runs and we pick up on any changes instantly.I did this with FOTR on first viewing,but as time goes by and we accept,if we are happy to do so,the changes,then we see it for what it is intended to be...an enjoyable movie!
Good points made by everyone though.cheers chaps Smile

Arrow....black arrow,I have saved you to the last.you have never failed me and always I have recovered you.I had you from my father and he from old.if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the mountain,go now and speed well

imin
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 12:43pm

Post #24 of 45 (176 views)
Shortcut
The parts you mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

Bother me a bit as does Gimli's general character in all the films but i feel it is most apparent in TTT and ROTK.

I also don't like the scene with the wargs - they just look terrible and that alone annoys me, lol. I don't like the whole Aragorn falling off a cliff thing either. I think Gandalf getting his staff smashed by the Witch-king is bad and something i don't like.

I don't like Frodo sending Sam away and i prefer book Faramir.

I am sure there are more, lol, but for me they are smaller and less often than the problems i see with AUJ which is more about tone, flow, balance of the film itself rather than its content - though that has issues as well. I think it was harmed in making 3 movies as they had to add excess fluff - such as overly long action sequences such as being chased by wargs, way OTT stone giant sequence, use of old bilbo tie in etc.

For me nearly everything after bag end minus riddles in the dark is sub par, even the way they shot Azanulbizar looks strange to me!

I think there are enough people who are dissatisfied in some way with AUJ that if we all donated a few pounds/dollars we would have enough to make another Hobbit adaptation Tongue

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 8:50pm

Post #25 of 45 (164 views)
Shortcut
Gripes with LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that one of the reasons I'm more receptive of the changes to LOTR is that when they came out, I was rather young (10-12). So most of those things you mention didn't bother me at all. I do remember on my first viewing of TTT in the theater I was completely shocked that Shelob wasn't in it. I kept waiting and didn't think the movie was ending because we still had to do that bit, lol.

The changes to Faramir didn't bother me much either, and I think it's because of the same thing. Back then I didn't know much about characters and such. So he was just the same Faramir to me even though they changed it a bit and had him take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. Now I understand why people don't like the difference, but I'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, it remains one of my favorite parts of TTT movie.

Frodo sending Sam away is another change that has never really bothered me. For both this and the Faramir change, I accepted what the writers said in the commentary and behind-the-scenes footage as their reasons for changing things. It made sense to me, and still does, though now I do understand that in doing so, they had to alter the characters from their book counterparts.

Truthfully, apart from changes (that probably aren't all so bad if I give them a second chance), my main gripes with AUJ all stem from pacing, tone, and the digital look. I feel that these areas are those that needed the most work in AUJ.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.