Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Does anyone else wish we had Tolkien's six titles?!

Arannir
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 11:29am

Views: 390
Shortcut
Does anyone else wish we had Tolkien's six titles?! Can't Post

The Ring Sets Out, The Ring Goes South, The Treason of Isengard, The Ring Goes East, The War of the Ring, and The End of the Third Age?

Although I am not a major fan of the "The Ring..." titles, I still appreciate "The Treason of Isengard", "The War of the Ring" and "The End of the Third Age" very much.

For the three volume editions I would have at least preferred "The War of the Ring" over "The Return of the King".

"The Two Towers" would be fine for me, if it would be clearly stated to be Barad-dûr and Orthanc. I think the movies did well in deciding on that... some of the things Tolkien discusses seem really weird to me, as many of them figure in TTT but do not really play a major role. "The Treason of Isengard" would not have been bad for that one either, but with the shortcoming of not really referring to Frodo's storyline.

Any thoughts? :)

(On a different note: I HATE the translation "Die Gefährten" (literally: The Companions) for the German version of FotR. "Die Gemeinschaft des Ringes" would have been just wonderful. I also do not like the use of "Wiederkehr" instead of "Rückkehr" for the "Return" in RotK.)

Subject User Time
Does anyone else wish we had Tolkien's six titles?! Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 22 2013, 11:29am
    The Ring... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 22 2013, 2:25pm
        But the treason of Saruman... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 22 2013, 2:51pm
            When is a book title a spoiler? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 22 2013, 3:00pm
                When I first read the books ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 22 2013, 3:34pm
                    "It's more of a spoiler when you know it's a spoiler. " :) // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 22 2013, 3:51pm
                        Does that make sense? DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Apr 22 2013, 6:39pm
                    Spoilers Finwe Send a private message to Finwe Apr 22 2013, 6:11pm
        Agree on too many "Ring" titles CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 22 2013, 7:16pm
            Some really unsatisfactory titles noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 22 2013, 7:46pm
                Lol! Well, I think you're softening the spoilers. CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 22 2013, 8:28pm
                    The Hobbit Erúmer Send a private message to Erúmer Apr 22 2013, 9:07pm
    I have two 7-vol. sets of LotR with those titles // geordie Send a private message to geordie Apr 22 2013, 4:04pm
        Does it make a difference when you read that set? squire Send a private message to squire Apr 22 2013, 6:02pm
            To be frank, I haven't read either of them - geordie Send a private message to geordie Apr 22 2013, 9:53pm
    I Read Somewhere IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Apr 23 2013, 12:03am
        Yes... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 23 2013, 6:57am
            So we might have had "The Five Towers"? CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 23 2013, 12:05pm
                an approach based on recycled chapter titles noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 23 2013, 2:41pm
                    Excellent umbrella idea for using "The Lands of Shadow" re: The Shire. // CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 23 2013, 3:25pm
                    Love your idea for Book VI. Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 23 2013, 3:55pm
            About The Two Towers Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 23 2013, 4:09pm
                Why "The Lord of the Rings"? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 23 2013, 4:14pm
                    I suppose Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 23 2013, 4:23pm
                Yes... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 23 2013, 4:44pm
                    Something vague Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 23 2013, 5:10pm
                    What do you think of Frodo's title? CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 23 2013, 5:16pm
                        "The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King"- ooh. I wonder how that strory's going to end ? ;) // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Apr 23 2013, 5:24pm
                            It's *the journey* that matters, not the ending! :) // CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 23 2013, 5:36pm
                        The Downfall of... Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 23 2013, 5:51pm
                        That is how i see it as well. imin Send a private message to imin Apr 23 2013, 6:04pm
            Tolkien's own cover illustration features Minas Morgul and Orthanc. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Apr 23 2013, 5:16pm
                Yes, as I said above. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 23 2013, 5:19pm
                    So you did. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Apr 23 2013, 5:36pm
                        My problem with MM is... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 23 2013, 5:45pm
                            The Tower of the Moon squire Send a private message to squire Apr 23 2013, 6:04pm
                                Two towers Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Apr 23 2013, 6:17pm
                                This is a good way to look at it... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Apr 24 2013, 6:45am
                Actually, that isn't the original cover geordie Send a private message to geordie Apr 23 2013, 5:41pm
                    $#@*&^ N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Apr 24 2013, 4:21am
                        I like the front cover wich was published in 1954 geordie Send a private message to geordie Apr 24 2013, 12:24pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Apr 23 2013, 9:37pm
        An Appendix troll, caught in our trap! :) // CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Apr 23 2013, 10:31pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.