Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
''What are they?''

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 8:51am

Post #1 of 16 (996 views)
Shortcut
''What are they?'' Can't Post

I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a thread about this yet, so I started one. In the prologue of AUJ, when the dwarves flee from Ereborn two types of animals are shown of which I am not sure what they are:

In this first still from the movie you can see two ''pony-sized'' animals which are not ponies. They look like some kind of antelope to me, but I'm not quite sure. Also, there are five or six other, greyish animals walking among the crowd. Their strong, robust build suggests a boar(-like) animal, but their long legs make them look more like wolves.

In this second still, the ''antelopes'' are seen again.

Lets set out on a quest together to answer the riddle on these animals: what are they?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Yngwulff
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 9:00am

Post #2 of 16 (465 views)
Shortcut
Harts [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ has the Elves riding Harts like the ones mentions when they cross the stream in Mirkwood?

Take this Brother May it Serve you Well
Vote for Pedro!

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 9:04am

Post #3 of 16 (433 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not about the animals one which the elves ride. It's about the animals that walk among the dwarves when they leave Erebor. Those are definitely not harts. They have horns, not antlers.

Angharad73
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 9:53am

Post #4 of 16 (432 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I know which animals you are referring to, but I can't see the stills in your post Crazy Could you link them again? Pretty please?

Admittedly, I haven't looked at them that closely, but I took the antelope-like ones to be some sort of ibex (or rather, of the genus Capra, although I can't decide which one)? I'm probably far off the mark, though.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 9:58am

Post #5 of 16 (444 views)
Shortcut
Links [In reply to] Can't Post

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/creature1.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/creature2.png/

Well, I think the horns are not like an ibex's, they have a strange curve at the top.

Angharad73
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 10:22am

Post #6 of 16 (375 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

...for the links! I never noticed the twist at the end of the horns that much.

Impalas have something similar, don't they? Or perhaps some member of the genus Kobus?

Very interesting question...

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 10:23am

Post #7 of 16 (409 views)
Shortcut
The animals of the elves is the Irish Elk. It's confirmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reasons, I am not able to see the two images you gave so I cannot say about the "boar-like" creature. But I have read some debates about the deer-like animal Thranduil is riding and am guessing the first one you are telling about is that.

For a whole picture read this article written by a "nerdy biologist" on the various creatures and animals shown in AUJ:

http://thorinoakenshield.net/tag/thranduils-deer/

It confirms with relatable pics that the moose-like animal Thranduil is riding is actually the Irish Elk (Megaloceros)

And it also makes a good point in it. How on earth is Thranduil gonna ride through the various twisted and branched trees of Mirkwood riding on an Elk with such huge antlers.

As for the rumor about Turin. Take my word, it's nothing more than billious blue blistering balderdashed barnacles! First of all, in no way PJ has got the rights of the Sil and also I think at least PJ would understand the fact that showing Turin in The Hobbit is gonna be like showing Sauron in a Mickey mouse show. So forget about it, it's completely shallow.

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

(This post was edited by Smeagol Bagginsess on Apr 22 2013, 10:24am)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 10:26am

Post #8 of 16 (387 views)
Shortcut
I posted the links to the pictures... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I do not mean the Megaloceros. These are different animals.

Angharad73
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 10:29am

Post #9 of 16 (379 views)
Shortcut
I know about the Irish Elk... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the question here is about the animals that the Dwarves have when they are wandering the wilderness. They can be seen among the Dwarves, being led along. Unfortunatly, there are no clear pictures of them to see fur markings etc., so it's hard to make out what they are supposed to be.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 10:07pm

Post #10 of 16 (227 views)
Shortcut
In the Weta art book [In reply to] Can't Post

There is some concept art of a dwarf sitting in a cart pulled by a large goat with upright horns rather than curved ones, but the animals in that scene do seem to look quite antelope/gazelle like rather than looking like goats.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:25am

Post #11 of 16 (128 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

the goat pulling a dwarven cart was seen in the movie, too. Also in the prologue, but I am not entirely sure.
Anyway, I pretty much convinced the animals seen in the swampy area are something else. I just don't know what (yet).

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 11:28am

Post #12 of 16 (130 views)
Shortcut
Those... [In reply to] Can't Post

are good suggestions, but I don't think it really are impalas or waterbucks. Those species have horn which are curved more upright or even to the front. And not to the back.
It's definitely some kind of antelope or gazelle though. And from Erebor's location and dwarven culture I would think it would we a steppe and/or mountain dwelling species. But I haven't yet found the 'right' species.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 1:27pm

Post #13 of 16 (115 views)
Shortcut
Ibex, I think, are the closest [In reply to] Can't Post

They are found in northern Europe (mountainous areas), though the species shown is perhaps an extinct one, or one that has never lived on Earth and has been 'adapted' for the film.

I never even noticed those – brilliant, thank you.

PattyJB
Rivendell

Apr 25 2013, 1:33am

Post #14 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
The animals are shown in this video [In reply to] Can't Post

that Starling posted in another thread. The critters show up at the 6:01 mark. Here's the article that contains the video: http://www.stuff.co.nz/...rs reveal Kiwi crush

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Jul 4 2013, 9:01am

Post #15 of 16 (39 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think [In reply to] Can't Post

...they are ibex. But I was not entirely sure, but the latest videoblog makes me think I were definitely not ibex. Look at this statue in Dale, that most definitely is some kind of antelope.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/9736/gadx.png

(This post was edited by Ereinion Nénharma on Jul 4 2013, 9:04am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 4 2013, 10:25am

Post #16 of 16 (57 views)
Shortcut
That statue does look like an antelope [In reply to] Can't Post

I was looking at the critters who were seen from a distance, with the Dwarves. Admittedly, you could see very little of them, but from the distant silhouettes they seemed to me to be closest to ibex – which would make sense for a 'European' context.

In Reply To
...they are ibex. But I was not entirely sure, but the latest videoblog makes me think I were definitely not ibex. Look at this statue in Dale, that most definitely is some kind of antelope.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/9736/gadx.png

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.