Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A delightfully open interview with William Kircher about The Hobbit.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 8:20am

Post #1 of 10 (1124 views)
Shortcut
A delightfully open interview with William Kircher about The Hobbit. Can't Post

http://www.stuff.co.nz/...72/Rock-n-roll-dwarf

He talks about his acting career, creating the character of Bifur, and what being in The Hobbit means at this point in his life.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 12:23pm

Post #2 of 10 (370 views)
Shortcut
Thang you Very Buch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Any Idea what the Big Movie is...
he is gunna be in the Fall?

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Apr 22 2013, 1:18pm

Post #3 of 10 (360 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for sharing that [In reply to] Can't Post

A great interview, he seems a genuinely friendly and enthusiastic man. And, as Nelson was one of my favourite places from my visit to New Zealand, I love any references to it and descriptions by the locals. It really is "sunnier" as he says, a beautiful little town!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 2:30pm

Post #4 of 10 (357 views)
Shortcut
Great article--thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy watching Bifur in AUJ, and William Kircher's research really adds to his acting the character. I notice Bifur rarely looks at any member of the Company, but did notice a few times when his attention was focused:
  1. When he tells Gandalf (in Dwarvish) that Thorin has not yet arrived at the party.
  2. When they were in Rivendell--he looks around a lot, apparently with enjoyment; and when they leave Rivendell he looks back too, along with Bilbo.
  3. In Goblin-town, he is the first Dwarf in line after they are captured, when the goblins are hustling them to the Great Goblin; and then he hardly takes his eyes off the Great Goblin.
  4. He watches the Eagles circle around after they have been landed on the Carrock.

I also was watching the scene in the mountain cave right before the crack opens in the floor. I really don't see Bifur until Thorin yells, then he sits up--holding a little toy that looks like a bird. Was he sleeping with it? Somehow seeing him with a toy is very endearing.
Thanks again, Lissuin!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 3:45pm

Post #5 of 10 (319 views)
Shortcut
Great article! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for posting this! I had the privilege along with others of meeting Mr. Kircher in Wellington at The One Ring/Red Carpet premier party, and he is a gracious and wonderful gentleman. Like most of the other members of the company of dwarves, although he'd been acting for years, he'd not received this level of intense recognition and fame until The Hobbit. I say 'Bravo' to each and every one of them!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 4:06pm

Post #6 of 10 (330 views)
Shortcut
Toy [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Bifur is the toy maker Balin refers to in BagEnd.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 22 2013, 5:48pm

Post #7 of 10 (296 views)
Shortcut
Yup,Bifur is the toy maker of the Company [In reply to] Can't Post

It's confirmed in one of the visual companions or WETA Chronicles books.

Smile

You can see one of his toys here, which was in the first trailer but didn't make it into the film.

Lio
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 11:31pm

Post #8 of 10 (213 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's toy! Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any hope for this making it into the EE? It seems like one of those neat little character moments. Smile

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 12:23am

Post #9 of 10 (200 views)
Shortcut
It's An Eagle [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe Bifur is the toy maker Balin refers to in BagEnd.

At least that is what my Weta Chronicles book shows.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 1:53am

Post #10 of 10 (213 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder Bifur likes the Eagles (the real ones :)

So Bifur is a toy-maker, whose family was killed by Orcs. I wonder if they'll explore more of this back story in the next 2 movies?

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Apr 23 2013, 1:53am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.