Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So did the Boycott/ Petitions make a difference ?

fmaximus
Rivendell

Dec 19 2007, 1:41pm

Post #1 of 10 (935 views)
Shortcut
So did the Boycott/ Petitions make a difference ? Can't Post

I for one haven't seen any New Line films since the whole fiasco started.

(This post was edited by fmaximus on Dec 19 2007, 1:42pm)

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2007, 1:43pm

Post #2 of 10 (758 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it was that old addage...

"Money talks, bullshooters walk."

(or something to that effect)

Angelic

Owlyross
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 2:22pm

Post #3 of 10 (738 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon it's more that fact that The Golden Compass tanked, because it was badly made (critics view) and Bob Shaye needs a guaranteed hit to save his job. Hence more back-pedalling than an out-of-control pushbike heading off the edge of Caradhras...

I mean, how does one go from

"I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

to

New Line's co-chairman, Bob Shaye, said: "We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences." He noted the "passion, care and talent" Jackson would bring to the films.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

orcbane
Gondor

Dec 19 2007, 2:26pm

Post #4 of 10 (736 views)
Shortcut
Maybe & Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is no doubt that the petitions had an effect. It is very hard to get people to acually do something (like find and sign a petition) & for everyone that does there are several who might want to but never get around to it. So something like 50,000 signatures is pretty significant, and it said that the fan base is still quite alive and well & will be wanting those movies as soon as you can settle your differences, if you don't mind.

I did not follow the boycott discussions & do not know much about it. But I was personnally mad at New Line for not allowing the audit, and its holding up the Hobbit, etc, and wrote to them saying so. I have not seen any New Line movies either, and my 'rancor' about the Hobbit delay was probably a factor. New Line may not have tied the low returns at the box office specifically to LOTR fan frustration, but I suspect the thought did cross their minds. They are not dum people.

Overall the web hub-bub and petitions got media attention, and so got past the very difficult barriers to being heard and taken seriously.

I believe the Tolkien Geeks will make or break these movies. If we are pleased, we will sing its praises loudly and draw in the rest of the crowds at the theatres. I don't want to think about the other possibilities.

I think they realize this.

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 2:43pm

Post #5 of 10 (753 views)
Shortcut
As the Founder of boycottnewline.com, I'd LIKE to Believe the Answer Is Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

But, as a realist, I'm not so sure. I only got about 3,100 signatures; other petitions which didn't push boycotts but just "encouraged" New Line to do the Hobbit with Jackson got many more than mine did.

I know I haven't seen any new New Line films or bought or rented any New Line videos in over a year (though, admitedly, I did watch the ones I already had!). I plan to go see The Golden Compass today, and hope other people who were boycotting will see The Golden Compass or Rendition or rent Hairspray or The Last Mimzy. Maybe if the American attendance for The Golden Compass bumps up over the next five days, that might tell us something.

I'm not sure whose boycott hurt The Golden Compass. My husband and daughter saw it anyway and they both liked it. It's doing reasonably well outside of the States. While the conservative Catholic boycott probably counts for something, many of them don't go to many films in the first place.

It's Official! Jackson to Produce The Hobbit! Woot! Woot!

Elven
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 3:06pm

Post #6 of 10 (727 views)
Shortcut
It depends on what .... [In reply to] Can't Post

people see as being a difference.
I think it did make an impact!
Be it that people had the opportunity and the conviction, and were prepared to put their name to something in which they beleived in, and have it heard by New Line. ... It think the boycott made a considerable statement in support of many's thoughts!

Tis over now, but I signed it and added my voice.
It made a difference to me!

Elven

The Road Goes Ever On and On ...
Happy 70th Birthday to The Hobbit!!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..*sing & sway* "All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...
"Your friends are with you Peter"
Let the Hobbit Happen!!!

Curious
Half-elven

Dec 19 2007, 3:11pm

Post #7 of 10 (757 views)
Shortcut
Saul Zaentz was much more important, I judge. Apparently [In reply to] Can't Post

the rights would have reverted to him in 2008, so this deal just beat the deadline. And all that talk about never working with Jackson again was probably posturing anyway. Also very important, of course, was the money made by the LotR movies. Petitions are nice, but money in the bank is nicer.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 19 2007, 4:13pm

Post #8 of 10 (733 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't that anybody said, "Oh those poor fans, they really do deserve a movie."

I think the negative publicity that the studio received and the way fans reacted sent a clear message that things weren't being done well. MGM was certainly aware of fans and responded directly to the petition and were very aware of which way the popular wind was blowing. It was MGM's CEO who certainly stepped up and heroically brought the two sides (New Line/Jackson camp) together.

The petition, boycott and even message board responses are viewed by the studio and made it clear how a majority of fans felt. Such things are not ignored. They didn't make all the difference certainly but it helped clarify fan reaction for the studio.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

Sunflower
Valinor

Dec 19 2007, 8:02pm

Post #9 of 10 (712 views)
Shortcut
There isn't going to BE as much money if the fims are not as good as they were before. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is 100% what I am certain will happen if this goes forward and we allow this to happen.

New Line made the Golden Compass more for the general audience than the fans, and look what happened.

Of course no one knows what happened behind the scenes this week, but this was to me was a power play by New Line to Jackson. Which MGM went along with precisely because of Saul Zaentz' new lawsuit. MGM could no more stand to have ITS books examined than Shaye, so the two studios, which used to oppose each other in the matter of PJ directing, suddenly decided to collude together and stab back. PJ could fight one studio but not both. MGM used to be his ally this year, but they tunred on him and Zaentz.

This is like the writer's strike. No matter that someone in the WGA camp might have an interesting proposal, it is the PRINCIPLE of the thing, of having writers actually get a minor say in things and winning a decision, changing the Hollywood adage that they're nothing, that is keeping the Studios in virtual lockstep. Or rather The Club or Media Behemoths and Multinationals that now own the studios.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Dec 20 2007, 12:51am

Post #10 of 10 (697 views)
Shortcut
Respectfully . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely disagree.

Rather than go point by point, we can just disagree.

How are you 100% certain of anything? PJ may not even want to direct the Hobbit for all we know. I do think it is good to be suspicious of Hollywood studios at every turn but I think you are reading this wrong.

I wish my name was "Barrow Wong". Maybe I should change it. And now for my quote:

"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.