The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
questons

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 12:35am

Post #1 of 13 (4340 views)
Shortcut
questons Can't Post

I have been working on my images this afternoon to try and resize them for posting. The difficulty is tha I start with large images, And I have no specific guidance on waht to resize my images to.

I have been trained in graphic dising, that means the world of prrint. the nedds of print are opposite teh nees ot the web. so her are my questions.

I already have all my artwork sscanned and on my computer. I am staritng wih images that are all 300 resolution PhotoShop files of varying sizes (most of m original drawings are clsoe to 8x10).

- I pretty much get that I have to convert them to jpgs.
- and that I need to change them to 72 or 75 resolution, is that right?
- does it matter which one I choose?

- After that what should the dimensions be?
- this one I changed to 3x4 from 8x10 - is that OK?
- and what should the pixels be?
(this part confuses me becasue I know web people measure by pixels - I measure by inches and resolution.)

I guess this in not the right place to post, but I am still a bit lost trying to grope my way around here...I'll catch on though. I wanted to post on Feedback, but there was not one thread for questions, It seems better here for some reason.

The above questions illustrate the trouble I had with image sites because there was no one to ask these simple questions from.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 1:24am

Post #2 of 13 (3716 views)
Shortcut
Answers :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

For footers, as long as your pics are 250k or smaller and, 480x360 pixles in size (even better would be 50% of that, or 240x180 pixels), you're fine.

For pictures to insert into posts pretty much anything goes if you have it hosted somewhere on the internet, but something that fits comfortably in the viewing screen is optimal (I'm guessing maybe 50% bigger than the 480 x 360 pixels at the most).

If you want to insert a pic into your post by attaching it to the post, it must be 250k at the most.

They way I tell how big a pic is, is to look in the "My Pictures" directory on my hard drive. If you choose to look at "Details" rather than thumbnails, it will show you exactly how big each file is both in kilobytes and pixels. Smile

Section 2.20 & 2.21 of the FAQ explain a little more about attaching/inserting pics.

Oh, and I did move this to Feedback so others who may have these questions will be more likely to see it here.

If you need more help, PM me or come on back here! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 1:34am

Post #3 of 13 (3625 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and you might also try this to resize a pic... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) You can insert it into Word or any other program that lets you insert pics (I use Powerpoint) by using the "Insert" "Picture" "From File" commands. Adjust the size by placing your cursor on a corner and moving it. Then, re-save it as a .jpeg by right-clicking and choosing "Save Picture As"

2) Another suggestion is to right click on its filename in the file folder on your PC where you're storing the picture. Click on the "Edit" option at the top of the menu that pops up. That will open the picture in MS "Paint". Believe it or not, if you do nothing else but just save it from MS Paint it will significantly reduce its size. That's a trick Mr. Altaira showed me. Smile

Good luck!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 3:03am

Post #4 of 13 (3630 views)
Shortcut
If you're using PhotoShop, [In reply to] Can't Post

use the "Save for Web" feature (under the File menu). It's fantastic! It will give you a choice of image qualities and show what size file each will produce (and even how many seconds it will take to download at various connection speeds). You can see the original image, and up to three different preview images at once. You also can resize the image (typing in pixel dimensions) from the same panel:

Click on the Image Size tab, make sure "constrain proportions" is checked, and type in your desired pixel dimensions (you only need to type in the max height OR the max width, depending on which dimension is likely to exceed the specifications). Then click "Apply" to see the result. When you save, be sure to give the file a new name, if you want to keep your original image intact.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 4:52am

Post #5 of 13 (3620 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Aerin [In reply to] Can't Post

PhotoShop is what I am using. I completely forgot about the Save for Web feature, I have not used it in a long time. I learned on versions 3, 4 and 5, so I tend to stick to what I know, and I have not needed to use it for any reason. I am mostly concerned with print. Which explains why I have large files.

I already have all my files duplicated and flattened, and most of them saved to jpg. I have over 20 images so this feature will help enormously. Especially since I can control the quality level…yeah!

I am so glad you are around AND could actually decipher my message… whooh, did I do a hatchet job with the typos or what!
born of frustration.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 5:35am

Post #6 of 13 (3602 views)
Shortcut
Thank you (Re to Altaira) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am trying to upload images into posts from my hard drive. I do not have any hosted on the web since I couldn't find any way to get my questions answered at any site I tried. Aerin has some good PhotoShop tips I will try. I am on a Mac, to the tips in your other post might be more helpful for someone with a PC rather than a Mac.

I tried posting using some very small images. But they still did not show up in the post. . .. pulling my hair out. I went back to read everything posted in the past few days for instruction. Then checked for answers.

I guess that the small image wasn’t showing up because I didn’t put my cursor in the text, nor “Click on the picture icon in the Advanced Editor menu”… nor “Select the inline image” be for clicking submit?!?

Questions:
What is the “picture icon in the Advanced Editor menu”… is that the little itty-bitty picture of my image?
Or, is that inline image I want to insert that I am supposed to select . . . then what is the ‘picture icon’?

I know I’m dense. I am horrible with written instruction, and forget it with electronics and new appliances.

Now I am off, better armed and I will keep trying. But I will return if I run into the wall again.

PS I am totally grateful that you moved my post here. I think that is quite a cool feature! Once I actually focused and saw the word moved, I realized why I didn't get any answers. I wanted to move it myself, then I thought cross-posting would be a bad idea. Can I move my own posts like you did, is there a ay to do that, or is that only for Admins?

Oh, and it is Super-Cool that all I had to do was click on the arrow to get to the thread. Wow!

Reading flat mode, I can't figure out who is responding to who.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 6:12am

Post #7 of 13 (3592 views)
Shortcut
I did notice [In reply to] Can't Post

the typos, and chalked it up to extreme frustration!

My own background is more print than Web, but I got to know the "Save for Web" feature when I created a photo directory for a chorus Web site. I had to retouch, size, and post head shots of about 150 chorus members, and this was by far the easiest way to do it. I now use "Save for Web" every time I need to post an image to the Web or send one by e-mail. (It kind of makes me feel sorry for people who don't have PhotoShop, but I've run into a lot of PhotoShop users more expert than I who haven't tried this feature, so I'm trying to spread the word.)

Another nifty feature is that "Save for Web" lets you import an alpha channel. I used this to render the backgrounds in lower quality than the people's faces. I first created an alpha channel in which the background was masked out in each photo; then, in "Save for Web," I loaded the alpha channel and used a slider to set the image quality at 0 for the background and as high as possible for the foreground, still keeping the total file size under a predetermined limit. This way, the background is blurry and low-res (saving file size and thus bandwidth), but the faces are still sharp.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 6:30am

Post #8 of 13 (3592 views)
Shortcut
Here's a screenshot [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what my "Post" box looks like when I go to insert a picture. I've written in the instructions for both inserting a pic from the web and from your hard drive.

TORn Calendar

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 6:49am

Post #9 of 13 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Re: thanks in advance [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks in advance for more help. Blush

here is where I run into trouble. I cannot figure out what numbers to enter in the pixel fields. It is just too much trail & error. Even a target range would be helpful.

All that is given for specification is under 250k.

In the Save for Web, I need some clue as to what pixels to enter.

In the image size dialog box it’s: inches (I use most), cm, mm, points, picas, and at the top pixels.

Sot to keep from having to go back and forth between my desktop folder and PSD, it would be helpful to have some numbers to work with in my image editing software. 250k does nothing for me in there.

It is the same issue I had going to Deviant Art or to Photo Bucket. At least here I can ask questions. Once I get all this worked out, I can start using these other services as well. A lot of this is in preparation for my discussion on Alan Lee as well, time is getting too close. I will be useless if I can’t do the images. Many are already on the web, but I want to scan some as well.

Btw: are you on a Mac?
Mahalo for all your help
DofN

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 7:12am

Post #10 of 13 (3623 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the screen shot...very, very helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the screen shot...very, very helpful

I can see my problems much clearer:
I do not have the button for advanced editor, and that whole row or tools is not there at all in the message window. This must mean I am in basic editor. I just checked my profile and made sure that I had the advanced editor set...I do, but just now I still do not have the tools panel.

No wonder I could not figure out what the picture icon was. Is that where it is located. I was searching through all those little icons on the top. Maybe if I quit the browzer. log on later, (that means tomorrow) then I will get the advanced editor.

Does having Safari or a Macintosh have anything to do with it? It seems my problems are two fold. My fingers are worn out.

Your must be up very late and you must be tired.. I am sorry for that and more grateful than I can express.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 8:00am

Post #11 of 13 (3551 views)
Shortcut
Advanced Editor is not available [In reply to] Can't Post

to those of us using Safari, unfortunately. (Someone should really have a word with whoever designed this very-Mac-unfriendly program!)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 8:11am

Post #12 of 13 (3572 views)
Shortcut
It's trial & error, but [In reply to] Can't Post

it shouldn't be that hard, because as soon as you resize, PhotoShop will tell you what the new file size is (look at the bottom of the preview; it should give you both file size and download time). If it's still too large, or if it's smaller than you need it to be, you can just resize again. I'd start with something like a long dimension of around 600 pixels. It's also a tradeoff between image quality and file size.

Yes, I'm on a Mac. Unfortunately, these boards are not very Mac friendly, as Advanced Editor does not work, and they don't recognize Safari preference settings. Oh well.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 3:00pm

Post #13 of 13 (4112 views)
Shortcut
testing footer [n/t] [In reply to] Can't Post

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.