Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
There is a word...

Harold.of.Whoa
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 3:44pm

Views: 102
Shortcut
There is a word... [In reply to] Can't Post

For a time I struggled to come up with the precise word that describes the way Howard Shore's music connects with the story. Integrated didn't seem quite right, nor did integral. Then I read in Doug Adam's book his description of Shore's work as having integrity. That's it! There is this unique integrity with the deepest layers of meaning of the story. I really don't know of anything else like it.

Similar to what you are describing in Bag End, I like the tin whistle solo melody as Sam and Frodo, on the slopes of Mt. Doom, are trying to remember the Shire and rallying for the final climb. The melody seems to hint at the Shire themes with which the audience has become so familiar, but it never actually goes there. It's as if the music itself is trying to recall the grass, the strawberries, the feel of home. We, the audience have such a familiarity with the Shire music by this point that our ears long for it to be played, but it isn't really there.

(This post was edited by Harold.of.Whoa on Apr 21 2013, 3:44pm)

Subject User Time
musical moment: back in Bag End dijomaja Send a private message to dijomaja Apr 20 2013, 10:37am
    ... dijomaja Send a private message to dijomaja Apr 20 2013, 12:01pm
    One of the best soundtracks in my humble opinion. // Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Apr 21 2013, 1:39am
    Great observation! flameofudun Send a private message to flameofudun Apr 21 2013, 3:06am
    There is a word... Harold.of.Whoa Send a private message to Harold.of.Whoa Apr 21 2013, 3:44pm
    I don't have words for it Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Apr 23 2013, 2:33pm
        even better dijomaja Send a private message to dijomaja Apr 25 2013, 10:44am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.