Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Any chance we'll see the Extended Version soon?

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 2:57pm

Post #1 of 15 (1215 views)
Shortcut
Any chance we'll see the Extended Version soon? Can't Post

I was wondering (or hoping) that maybe The Hobbit will follow Avatar's idea of releasing the "Extended Version" in selected cinemas (say HFR ones) during the Summer Holidays and then releasing it on Blu-ray around October time?

I think October is a confirmed date for The Hobbit EE? So that's a promising sign, right?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Apr 21 2013, 2:58pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 3:38pm

Post #2 of 15 (628 views)
Shortcut
Thought it would be a stright to a dvd affair// [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 21 2013, 6:21pm

Post #3 of 15 (549 views)
Shortcut
Don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

Highly doubt they'll put the EE in theaters. WB will most likely wanna focus on revving up promotion for DoS, and not want to have to waste time putting the EE in theaters. Avatar did it since its 3D was considered "groundbreaking" and it made 2 billion in its run, so of course they'd milk it further and put the director's cut in theaters. But WB will definitely just put the EE straight to DVD, and spend more money on the marketing of DoS. Rereleases tend to not make that much anyway, from what I've seen.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

The Mitch King
Rohan

Apr 21 2013, 9:52pm

Post #4 of 15 (443 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They could easily put the EE in theaters and promote Desolation of Smaug. Just give us a new trailer or something or maybe show us a non important scene.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 12:58am

Post #5 of 15 (386 views)
Shortcut
I doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

After a few early missteps, New LIne ran a brilliant publicity campaign for all three parts of LOTR. So far Warner Bros. has managed almost entirely to avoid any of the brilliant tactics used by New Line. No excellent official website, no release of a long preview of the second film attached to prints of the first film late in its run, etc. No fan club, for that matter, no magazine. General disdain for fans, I would say. Don't assume anything logical from WB. This is the studio that thought there would be an audience for Jack the Giant-Slayer. Does that imply they have any contact with fans? What we will get that is fan-friendly will probably come largely from Peter and company and what they are able to push through for our benefit (most importantly, supplements produced by Michael Pellerin for the extended DVD/Blu-ray versions.).

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 1:11am

Post #6 of 15 (377 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

WB is a company run by the bottom line and is not very people friendly. New Line was much better about public relations and keeping the fans in the loop so to speak. We have yet to see any of that via WB. Most of what the fans have seen is I believe 100% Peter Jackson and WETA.

By the way Jack the Giant slayer... Horrible film IMO Wink

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Apr 22 2013, 1:12am)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 1:37am

Post #7 of 15 (372 views)
Shortcut
i doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe a one time screening of the three Hobbit EE's when the trilogy is over. I think it will most likely be November, but i hope we get a EE teaser soon!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 3:46am

Post #8 of 15 (351 views)
Shortcut
Yes but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why divert attention away from the newest film and even bothering rereleasing the film all fans have seen hundreds of times with only 20 minutes of new footage?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Padfoot
Bree

Apr 22 2013, 6:22am

Post #9 of 15 (332 views)
Shortcut
Is it confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is an EE release confirmed then? If they stick to tradition, it might be released shortly befor DoS..

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 6:25am

Post #10 of 15 (354 views)
Shortcut
its been confirmed by Peter Jackson, a date has yet to be confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

by the studio. Most likely in november.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Padfoot
Bree

Apr 22 2013, 6:38am

Post #11 of 15 (343 views)
Shortcut
EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks. Smile

signature by kiteflier with kind permission of http://richardarmitagenet.com

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 7:30pm

Post #12 of 15 (254 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

To me the whole thing seems very extended already, being made into three films, given the original source material of 'The Hobbit'. So much padding, so many extras! I find I can't get very excited by the idea of an EE - loved the LOTR EEs, because there was a lot to work with, and too many bits missed, even then - but this time? I'm not convinced.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 10:33pm

Post #13 of 15 (228 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

New Line took care in the design and quality even of the basic cinema version DVDs. The DVDs for each film have their own colour coding (reproduced in products that were linked to the films). They were all consistently produced and looked like quality products compared with the shoddy way the AUJ blu-ray DVDs are packaged (no images on the disks, with the Steelbook containing two disks stacked on each other in a wonky way, instead of opening out like a book; no explanation as to what is on the disks, unlike in the case of the LOTR basic DVDs, which each included an illustrated leaflet folded in three describing the contents, etc.). As for the basic AUJ DVD, it is just one disk with no image, in a horrible plastic case.

It is obvious that Warner Bros. couldn't care less about quality and want to churn out the DVDs as cheaply as possible – something that will only ultimately damage their company and the film. And they certainly haven't cottoned on to the fact that there is a big collectors' market out there for Tolkien-related material.

In Reply To
After a few early missteps, New LIne ran a brilliant publicity campaign for all three parts of LOTR. So far Warner Bros. has managed almost entirely to avoid any of the brilliant tactics used by New Line. No excellent official website, no release of a long preview of the second film attached to prints of the first film late in its run, etc. No fan club, for that matter, no magazine. General disdain for fans, I would say. Don't assume anything logical from WB. This is the studio that thought there would be an audience for Jack the Giant-Slayer. Does that imply they have any contact with fans? What we will get that is fan-friendly will probably come largely from Peter and company and what they are able to push through for our benefit (most importantly, supplements produced by Michael Pellerin for the extended DVD/Blu-ray versions.).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 22 2013, 10:35pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 1:15pm

Post #14 of 15 (194 views)
Shortcut
Also, you might like to compare... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the classy New Line LOTR menus (even for the theatrical versions) and the cheapo WB menus for TH (especially abroad, where it's just plain ugly buttons).

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 1:21pm

Post #15 of 15 (218 views)
Shortcut
Ugh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'd rather not. Skinflints…

I suppose big corporations become like that – unable to be creative and to really see what they are trying to promote and what the market for it is!

In Reply To
...the classy New Line LOTR menus (even for the theatrical versions) and the cheapo WB menus for TH (especially abroad, where it's just plain ugly buttons).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.