Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Best Performances from the films

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 9:47am

Post #1 of 23 (573 views)
Shortcut
Best Performances from the films Can't Post

First of all I hope this is the right place for this. If not then I request to move it to the deserved spot.

Now, I would like you folks to vote the top 3 actors from the movies. I'd prefer a separate voting for LOTR and AUJ.

Note: Don't vote for actors you like beacuse they "look" good, but because they acted well. And you can give honorable mention as well.

My votes:

LOTR

1. Ian Mckellen - Gandalf
2. Andy Serkis - Gollum
3. Tie between the two Seans, Astin (Sam) and Bean (Boromir)

Special mention to Christopher Lee and Bernard Hill.

TH:AUJ

1. Andy Serkis - Gollum
2. Ian Mckellen - Gandalf (this time 2nd because I found Sir Ian a bit tired in AUJ. But still a worthy performance)
3. Martin Freeman - Bilbo

Happy Voting!

Cool

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 1:08pm

Post #2 of 23 (333 views)
Shortcut
For LOTR I would choose [In reply to] Can't Post

Andy Serkis because he still acted out everything even though he knew that people were not even going to see his face. I am still not sure for The Hobbit.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 2:46pm

Post #3 of 23 (348 views)
Shortcut
My votes would be [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR
1. Sir Ian McKellen-Gandalf
2. Andy Serkis-Gollum
3. Bernard Hill-Theoden
Special mention to Sean Astin and Viggo Mortensen

TH: AUJ
1. Sir Ian McKellen-Gandalf
2. Martin Freeman-Bilbo
3. Ken Stott-Balin
Special mention for Andy Serkis and Richard Armitage

But there are too many good ones: James Nesbitt, Sean Bean, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett just to name a few. I thought the casting on the whole was spot-on across the series, and I can't wait to see Stephen Fry's rendition of the Master!

"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Apr 21 2013, 2:49pm)

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 5:48pm

Post #4 of 23 (305 views)
Shortcut
It's indeed very difficult to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But there are too many good ones: James Nesbitt, Sean Bean, Christopher Lee, Cate Blanchett just to name a few. I thought the casting on the whole was spot-on across the series, and I can't wait to see Stephen Fry's rendition of the Master!

I agree on that. I think in general everyone's acting was spot on. But in my sole opinion, two exceptions are Tyler and Wood. And though I think Viggo did a great job as Aragorn, imo he really didn't "fit into" the appearance for me.

As for AUJ, we haven't had too much so it's difficult to say. Most of the dwarves only have had "comedic" roles till now. But Nesbitt and Armitage did well I guess.

Like you, I am waiting for Beorn!!! I have always been intrigued by the character.
Smile

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

(This post was edited by Smeagol Bagginsess on Apr 21 2013, 5:50pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 21 2013, 8:31pm

Post #5 of 23 (311 views)
Shortcut
This is Difficult [In reply to] Can't Post

For LOTR: probably Bernard Hill. Then Miranda Otto. I liked them because they seemed the most natural in their roles. They never looked or sounded like they were acting.

For AUJ: Ian Mackellan, Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis. Then Richard Armitage and Jimmy Nesbitt.

Nira
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 2:15am

Post #6 of 23 (266 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

There are brilliant as well as pretty bad scenes from most of the actors. It's hard for me to rank the actors fairly, but certain lines or moments stand out for me more than overall ranking.

If I had to rank 3:
LoTR: Ian Mckellen, Andy Serkis, Sean Astin, (Karl Urban was amazing and would be in top 3 if he had a larger role...just not fair to compare IMHO)
AUJ: Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman tied with Ian Mckellen, Jimmy Nesbitt (again the smaller role thing...but so brilliant)

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

demnation
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 5:30am

Post #7 of 23 (267 views)
Shortcut
Difficult. [In reply to] Can't Post

The acting is probably the only thing about the films that I have no complaints about. I guess I'll go with the ones that I thought captured their characters best.

LOTR

1-Bernard Hill
2-Andy Serkis
3-Ian McKellen

TH

1-Ken Stott
2-Martin Freeman
3- Barry Humphries

Use Well the Days

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 11:14am

Post #8 of 23 (234 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR

1. Ian McKellen
2. Bernhard Hill
3. Andy Serkis

Special mentions: Sean Bean, Dominic Monaghan, John Noble

AUJ

1. Andy Serkis
2. Martin Freeman
3. Ian McKellen

Out of the competition for both because I am kind of in love with her and hugely biased: Cate Blanchett

(This post was edited by Arannir on Apr 22 2013, 11:15am)

imin
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 1:12pm

Post #9 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
Ranks [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR
1. Sean Bean - Boromir
2. Ian McKellen - Gandalf
2. Christopher Lee - Saruman

AUJ
1. Ian McKellen - Gandalf
2. Andy Serkis - Gollum
3. Hugo Weaving - Elrond for a far far better performance as Elrond than in LOTR.

And Iluvatar spoke to Ulmo, and said: 'Seest thou not how here in this little realm in the Deeps of Time Melkor hath made war upon thy province? He hath bethought him of bitter cold immoderate, and yet hath not destroyed the beauty of thy fountains, nor of my clear pools. Behold the snow, and the cunning work of frost! Melkor hath devised heats and fire without restraint, and hath not dried up thy desire nor utterly quelled the music of the sea. Behold rather the height and glory of the clouds, and the everchanging mists; and listen to the fall of rain upon the Earth! And in these clouds thou art drawn nearer to Manwe, thy friend, whom thou lovest.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 2:26pm

Post #10 of 23 (221 views)
Shortcut
My rankings thus far. [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR...

1. Ian McKellen
2. Andy Serkis
3. Sean Bean/John Noble/Cate Blanchett

TH (so far)...

1. Martin Freeman
2. Andy Serkis
3. Ian McKellen/Ken Stott

And i'll add one honorable mention from each trilogy (so far) just because i like the actors in their roles so much, even though it's not a "great performance" per se...

Billy Boyd and James Nesbitt

They were both so funny and charming, and they both sing!

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Apr 22 2013, 2:34pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 2:33pm

Post #11 of 23 (217 views)
Shortcut
Bomby doesn't particulary care for Contests... [In reply to] Can't Post

One guy or girl Wins and the others get to be Losers?

Remember PJ concentrated on the Dialogue/Character Scenes in
TH, and gave the Fight/Action Scenes to Andy...
so My only Vote would be for PJ
he has proven he is an Actor's Director!

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 2:46pm

Post #12 of 23 (211 views)
Shortcut
I do think [In reply to] Can't Post

That the performance of Martin Freeman was far and away the best Hobbit! Save possibly Ian Holm who wasn't really in it long enough to judge. He was just in a different league to those Hobbits in Lotr.

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 6:03pm

Post #13 of 23 (210 views)
Shortcut
Tough one [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR
  1. Gandalf
  2. Gollum
  3. Aragorn

AUJ
  1. Thorin
  2. Bilbo
  3. Gandalf

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 23 2013, 4:38pm

Post #14 of 23 (155 views)
Shortcut
Liv Tyler [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, she's the only one in any of the films who gets that Elves aren't Vulcans. Everyone else plays them like Mr. Spock on Xanex. Elves are the ultimate in manic-depressives. At the drop of a hat they laugh, cry, sing silly songs, dance in the woods, swear dark oaths, kill their brethren, slaughter for sport, and die of broken hearts. Liv Tyler's is the only portrayal that comes even close to that.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 5:11pm

Post #15 of 23 (137 views)
Shortcut
my top 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR:

1. Ian McKellan
2. Sean Astin
3. tie between Bernard Hill & Andy Serkis

AUJ:

1. Martin Freeman
2. Ken Stott (Balin)
3. Andy Serkis

(This post was edited by Nuradar on Apr 23 2013, 5:13pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 6:00pm

Post #16 of 23 (140 views)
Shortcut
Liv is an elf [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to completely agree with this, Darkstone. She's quite excellent, IMO. Maybe if other Elves had shown some of these other emotions, her performance would be better appreciated. I'm curious if the Mirkwood elves will be portrayed less stoically.

By the way, good to see you back!

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2013, 9:18pm

Post #17 of 23 (117 views)
Shortcut
Now that i think about it, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish i'd put Liv Tyler in my top three for LotR. I can still remember how she floored me when she first showed up on screen the first time i saw Fellowship. She was so powerful and otherworldly and beautiful, it's one of my favorite moments in the trilogy (of course a lot of that has a lot to do with the music and photography, too). She's probably my favorite elf in all the films, to be honest.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 24 2013, 1:12am

Post #18 of 23 (102 views)
Shortcut
Elven portrayals [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, she's great. Her entrance really is one of the most breathtaking in the films. She did a great job! I'm really interested in how the Mirkwood elves will be portrayed. I hope they're a little more "human" but still otherworldly, if you know what I mean.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2013, 2:29am

Post #19 of 23 (102 views)
Shortcut
humorless elves [In reply to] Can't Post

why, oh, why, did pj and boyens treat them this way?

there's so much in the books that indicate that they well knew merriment and laughter and how to properly revel.

yes, they had (many had) wisdom, but you can be wise and laugh. for my money, having a good sense of humor is one of the paths that leads to wisdom.

for similar reasons, i like haldir... even though pompous, he certainly appears to have more life than most of his folk. definitely believable. legolas as well. different personality, but he's not so stiff. but he's also a woodland elf. perhaps they're less stuffy.

haldir sometimes cracks me up, in a good way. i love his pomposity.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 24 2013, 10:56am

Post #20 of 23 (86 views)
Shortcut
Re: best performances [In reply to] Can't Post

I find myself unwilling to compare performances I saw in two or more films to ones I saw in one film only, so I'll wait for at least the Desolation of Smaug before including the performances in TH.

For LotR, my list would go:
1. Elijah Wood as Frodo. So much talent and shades of mimics/voice; also, he captured the inner nobility perfectly. ^ ^
2. Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey. Same as above regarding the expressions and voice acting and general air of the character he was impersonating.
3. John Noble as Denethor. Again, perfection; so many facets of expression. Outstanding performance, I believed him every second on screen.
Honourable mentions to Andy Serkis as Gollum, and Bernard Hill as Théoden.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

(This post was edited by dik-dik on Apr 24 2013, 10:58am)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Apr 28 2013, 10:09pm

Post #21 of 23 (63 views)
Shortcut
Starting with LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say;

1) Elijah Wood did a great job of showing the struggles that Frodo had with the Ring.
2) Andy Serkis since he brought Gollum to life so well and yet did it in a weird suit and mostly on some sort of strange set.
3) Cate Blanchett/ Hugo Weaving because they were wonderful at bringing the Elvish descriptions to life.

For AUJ;

1) Martin Freeman was just stellar as Bilbo Baggins
2) Andy Serkis again for the same reasons
3) Richard Armitage because he nailed Thorin as a haughty, proud, stubborn Dwarf.

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

Elven
Valinor

Apr 29 2013, 5:02pm

Post #22 of 23 (62 views)
Shortcut
Here's mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

This was harder than I thought Crazy

LOTR
Brad Dourif - Wormtounge
John Noble - King of Gondor
Sean Bean - Boromir

AUJ
Ian McKellen
Martin Freeman
Richard Armitage

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 29 2013, 5:52pm

Post #23 of 23 (52 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, Brad Dourif... good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

He should have been on mine-- love his Wormtongue!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.