The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How much wine?

Seaborn
The Shire

Apr 20 2013, 11:36am

Post #1 of 13 (1085 views)
Shortcut
How much wine? Can't Post

During the drinking contest in ROTK EE Gimli and Legolas drank about 20 pints each or roughly about 10 l of beer per person, as you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/...;v=-vUOwz11x0Y#t=72s. By UK standards, at 4% alcohol by volume, this would be about 20 alcohol units. Two standard wine bottles (750 ml each at 12%) contain 18 alcohol units, which means that Legolas would start to feel a slight tingle in his fingers shortly after finishing the second bottle of wine. How quickly it would escalate from peripheral to central nervous system manisfestations (passing out) is a speculation issue but I think we can safely assume that the Captain of the Guards would need at least 10 bottles of wine or about 50 normal glasses (or much more). Cheers, Captain!

utku
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 1:34pm

Post #2 of 13 (574 views)
Shortcut
Great calculation! [In reply to] Can't Post

However we should bear in mind that Legolas is a Sindarin Elf while the Captain would probably be one of Silvan Elves. As far as we can make up, Eldarin Elves* may be blessed with extra resistance to alcohol. So while Legolas would be a designated driver in a possible party, Captain of the Guards may easily lose himself. :)

*Just realised I may be wrong with Eldarin. I don't really remember so feel free to correct me.

(This post was edited by utku on Apr 20 2013, 1:38pm)

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 2:08pm

Post #3 of 13 (607 views)
Shortcut
It said in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

that the wine was extremely strong and was meant for the king's table only.

erynion
Lorien

Apr 20 2013, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 13 (549 views)
Shortcut
I think Legolas was pretending to be a lot more sober than he actually was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to prove a point to Gimli. As soon as Gimli was out, he staggered into Eomer and had to be helped to sit down. He's just very good at balancing himself generally. ;) So Elves really can't stand that much alcohol with just their fingers tingling.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 8:48pm

Post #5 of 13 (457 views)
Shortcut
A funny thing [In reply to] Can't Post

But I always thought that was wrong. A Dwarf would beat an Elf in a drinking competition of beer. The Dwarf would have had more experience of it. Elves tend to drink wine, not beer and there is a difference.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 13 (434 views)
Shortcut
Dorwinion Wine is strong stuff. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably more than 12%, more like brandy (typically 35-60%).

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 11:26pm

Post #7 of 13 (412 views)
Shortcut
How much beer can a Wood-elf chug... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you factor in the square root of Pi ?

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Apr 20 2013, 11:27pm)

Lio
Lorien

Apr 21 2013, 12:30am

Post #8 of 13 (382 views)
Shortcut
Nice analysis! [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be worth keeping track of how much wine the Elves have before passing out in DoS. Assuming the scene is still in it, that is! Shocked

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 6:37am

Post #9 of 13 (327 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention they were drinking out of flagons, not goblets! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Probably more than 12%, more like brandy (typically 35-60%).

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Avatar: Elwing by art-nouveau-club on DeviantArt

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Apr 21 2013, 8:31am

Post #10 of 13 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that was my assumption as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Dorwinion wine would be much stronger than what they drink in Rohan. In fact, since Dorwinion is in the east of Middle-earth, it could be that there are Avari Elves living there. And who better to know the right alcohol percentage to get an Elf good and sloshed?

dijomaja
Lorien

Apr 21 2013, 10:29am

Post #11 of 13 (310 views)
Shortcut
beer/wine [In reply to] Can't Post

To Hamfast: Actually, since wine has more alcohol per unit of volume, it's usually beer drinkers who need to adjust the pace of their drinking when they switch to wine.

Also, we can probably assume that, as with humans, some Elves, Dwarves, et al. can hold their liquor better than others.

Trivia: By his own admission, Orlando Bloom was a lightweight as a drinker. The drinking game scene was apparently a source of inside-joke laughter for the cast and crew.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 7:46pm

Post #12 of 13 (266 views)
Shortcut
Enough [In reply to] Can't Post

to awake up the next day with the only hope for a renewed dwarf-elfs amity and peace, inside her womb, without any recollection of the perpetrator's name.

Tongue

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Apr 21 2013, 7:46pm)

Gandy
Bree

Apr 21 2013, 9:02pm

Post #13 of 13 (280 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth wine [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the studio sponsored the making of official "Wines of Middle Earth"? I would be crazy about that. They could have dwarf wines, Hobbiton, Elven, Rohan, Mordor, wizard's wine - all the best places. And a Bree Brew beer. They could be in beautiful decorative bottles each unique to their respective Middle Earth regions. All from New Zealand of course. No doubt they would sell out instantly. I'd buy several each to last the rest of my life.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.