Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silmarillion Discussion: chapter schedule and leaders
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 3:14am

Post #1 of 103 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion Discussion: chapter schedule and leaders Can't Post

Here's the schedule for the rest of the book. We'll update as we go along.

The Ainulindalė - CuriousG
The Valaquenta - noWizardme

1. Of the Beginning of Days - noWizardme
2. Of Aulė and Yavanna - Telain
3. Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor - CuriousG
4. Of Thingol and Melian - NZ Strider
5. Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldaliė - weaver
6. Of Fėanor and the Unchaining of Melkor - telain
7. Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor - elevorn
8. Of the Darkening of Valinor - Ardamire
9. Of the Flight of the Noldor - noWizardme
10. Of the Sindar - Finwe - Week of April 21
11. Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor - ElendilTheShort - Week of April 28
12. Of Men - Maciliel - Week of May 5
13. Of the Return of the Noldor - Brethil - Week of May 12
14. Of Beleriand and its Realms - telain - Week of May 19
15. Of the Noldor in Beleriand - Brethil - Week of May 26
16. Of Maeglin -- Maciliel - Week of June 2
17. Of the Coming of Men into the West - sador - Week of June 9
18. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin - noWizardme - Week of June 16
19. Of Beren and Lśthien - CuriousG - Weeks of June 23 and June 30
20. Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad - Hamfast Gamgee - Week of July 7
21. Of Tśrin Turambar - Brethil - Weeks of July 14 and 21
22. Of the Ruin of Doriath - Faenoriel - Week of July 28
23. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin - Maciliel - Week of August 4
24. Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath - ??? - Week of August 11

The Akallabźth - the history of the Second Age
Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jun 9 2013, 5:48pm)

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 10:18am

Post #2 of 103 (581 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for organising! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, you're sticky! How did you get sticky (if that's not an indelicate question?)

Really good though of some navigation to the read-through can stick around.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

elaen32
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 10:30am

Post #3 of 103 (565 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for putting this up CG [In reply to] Can't Post

It's really helpful- I've been desperately trying to catch up in my Sil reading so I can join in the discussions (I haven't read it for a few years), but always seem to have been that half step behind. Now I know what to have read by when.

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 21 2013, 1:52pm

Post #4 of 103 (563 views)
Shortcut
Well, I felt all grown up on TORN [In reply to] Can't Post

Getting my first sticky and all. And yes, there are all sorts of indelicate ways to use that word which must be navigated like a minefield. We could have a sticky on the etiquette of discussing stickies.

Searching the FAQ and searching in general, I didn't find a "how-to" anywhere, so I asked one of the Modar for help. Turns out you just create a regular post, and the magical Modar turn it into a sticky "voila" style. When we get to Unfinished Tales, whoever leads that discussion can have mine stickied over.

I'll add that I didn't put a date for Akallabeth and Rings of Power out of oversight, just that a lot can change between now and September, so any schedule now could be moot (of the non-entish kind) by then. We'll figure it out when we get closer to them.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 11:25am

Post #5 of 103 (569 views)
Shortcut
Links to the chapters that have been discussed so far (up to & incl. Ch 8) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Here's the schedule for the rest of the book. We'll update as we go along.
I've added links to the chapters that have been discussed so far (the older ones can become hard to find by browsing) Click the chapter title for the magic to happen...Except where discussion was divided into several threads, in which case I list those under the chapter title. Happy reading!

The Ainulindalė - CuriousG :

Part 1; *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 1 -- Who Goes and Who Stays*
Part 2: *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 2 -- The Great Teleri Compromise and a Guided Tour…*
part 3: *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 3 -- Meet the Noldor Cast**
Conclusion: *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Conclusion -- Go Teleri on the Mountain...**

Silmarilion Discussion, Chapter 6: "Of Feanor..." 1 of 2
Silmarilion Discussion, Chapter 6: "...and the Unchaining of Melkor" 2 of 2

**Silmarillion Discussion 2013, Chapter 9: Of The Flight of the Noldor (Ring of Doom scene)
**Silmarillion Discussion 2013, Part 2 of Chapter 9: Of The Flight of the Noldor (Melkor and Ungoliant)
Rivendell 0 secs ago **Silmarillion Discussion 2013, Part 3 of Chapter 9: Of The Flight of the Noldor ( Feanor's oath, the kinslaying, the journey back to Middle-earth)

These threads are not "finished" in that anyone who has a further question or comment they want to post can do so.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 22 2013, 4:54pm

Post #6 of 103 (552 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for putting that all together, noWiz. Great reference tool.

Seeing your "Rivendell 0 secs ago" keeps making me think you're a time traveler. Can you please find out some winning lottery numbers and report back?

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 22 2013, 5:50pm

Post #7 of 103 (582 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all your work organizaing these discussions! // [In reply to] Can't Post

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fėanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 9 2013, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 103 (449 views)
Shortcut
UPDATED 9 June 2013: Links for chapters up to and including the first thread of Chapter 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Here are links to the chapters that have been discussed so far (the older ones can become hard to find by browsing) Click the chapter title for the magic to happen...Except where discussion was divided into several threads, in which case I list those under the chapter title. Happy reading!
(apologies for the increasoingly random formatting - Blush: may try to take time to fix that next update)
These threads are not "finished" in that anyone who has a further question or comment they want to post can do so.
And please note - you don't have to be Mr or Ms Megaknowledgeabletolkienscholar to participate! These are NOT private discussions. YOU are very welcome to join in!
Wink

The Ainulindalė - CuriousG :

Part 1; *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 1 -- Who Goes and Who Stays*
Part 2: *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 2 -- The Great Teleri Compromise and a Guided Tour…*
part 3: *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 3 -- Meet the Noldor Cast**
Conclusion: *Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Conclusion -- Go Teleri on the Mountain...**

Silmarilion Discussion, Chapter 6: "Of Feanor..." 1 of 2
Silmarilion Discussion, Chapter 6: "...and the Unchaining of Melkor" 2 of 2

**Silmarillion Discussion 2013, Chapter 9: Of The Flight of the Noldor (Ring of Doom scene)
**Silmarillion Discussion 2013, Part 2 of Chapter 9: Of The Flight of the Noldor (Melkor and Ungoliant)
Rivendell 0 secs ago **Silmarillion Discussion 2013, Part 3 of Chapter 9: Of The Flight of the Noldor ( Feanor's oath, the kinslaying, the journey back to Middle-earth)

10. Silmarillion Discussion Chapter 10: Of the Sindar - Finwe

Chapter 11: Of the Sun and the Moon and the Hiding of Valinor - ElendilTheShort

12. Of Men - Maciliel
Silmarilion Discussion: Chapter 12 -- "Of Men," Part 1
Silmarilion Discussion: Chapter 12 -- "Of Men," Part 2: The Biosphere of Arda

13. Of the Return of the Noldor - Brethil

14. Of Beleriand and its Realms - telain
Silmarillion, Chapter 14: Of Beleriand and its Realms
Silmarillion, Chapter 14: Much, much more on the geography of Beleriand and its Realms

15. Of the Noldor in Beleriand - Brethil -
16. Of Maeglin -- Maciliel
17. Of the Coming of Men into the West - sador (just started)

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Jun 9 2013, 4:28pm)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jun 9 2013, 4:29pm

Post #9 of 103 (459 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for doing this again, Wiz! // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 22 2013, 4:51pm

Post #10 of 103 (406 views)
Shortcut
How about if we discuss letter 131 when we've finished? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the letter Tolkien wrote to a potential other publisher, explaining what the Silmarillion was about.
It might be a fun way of starting a discussion about general themes in the book, while the chapter-by-chapter discussions we had are still fairly fresh in the memory
It's reproduced in the 2nd Edition of the Silmarillion, so doesn't require everyone to have a copy of Letters

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 22 2013, 5:32pm

Post #11 of 103 (399 views)
Shortcut
Oh how I do love #131!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or we can pass copies around too, if needed. I would transcribe it if necessary and PM it. Its such a wide-ranging letter and deals with so much underlying philosophy. I would be up for it Furincurunir!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

elaen32
Gondor

Jun 22 2013, 7:28pm

Post #12 of 103 (434 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good to me!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

squire
Valinor

Jun 22 2013, 9:30pm

Post #13 of 103 (413 views)
Shortcut
That is definitely a discussion in itself [In reply to] Can't Post

And it is quite relevant to a Silmarillion discussion. Here, since you asked (or would have), are the links to the last discussion of #131 which was part of the general Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien discussion back in 2005. A return to the subject should be great with mostly new members. I am really enjoying the spirit and interests of what I think of as the Reading Room Redivivus!

TORn Reading Room: The Letters of J. R. R. Tolkien Discussion. – LETTER 131, Aug.-Sept. 2005
-Letter #131: Myth and Fairy-story
-Letter #131: Allegory, the Fall, Mortality, and the Machine
-Letter #131: Magic and the Cosmogonical Myth
-Letter #131: The History of the Elves
-Letter #131: The Rest of the Story
-hmmm, am I up? 2nd half of Letter 131, right?
-The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien: Letter #131, Week 2. Second Age: The Elves, Sauron, and the Rings
-The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien: Letter #131, Week 2. Second Age: Nśmenór
-The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien: Letter #131, Week 2. Third Age: Hobbits and The War of the Ring.
-The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien: Letter #131. Conclusion.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 22 2013, 10:31pm

Post #14 of 103 (401 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Squire for the links! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to put this together!!!!! So that everyone has access I can cut/paste/transcribe #131 and share it with everyone, so no one without Letters is left out. CoolAngelic

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

squire
Valinor

Jun 22 2013, 11:31pm

Post #15 of 103 (386 views)
Shortcut
Carefully, carefully [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe check with the admins about their rules on reposting large sections of text by Tolkien. They've gotten more sensitive about this in the past few years, so check it out.

Notice that in the discussion I led in 2005 (in the links, second week), I did post the entire text of #131 but in sections on several separated webpages, with a link to just one section in any given discussion post.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 22 2013, 11:57pm

Post #16 of 103 (386 views)
Shortcut
Good point Squire - [In reply to] Can't Post

was actually thinking of sending around like an attachment as I did with the Doug's Law and Arda article. Then there is no reposting of large sections. Shall I run that by the Modar to vet the idea?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 1:37am

Post #17 of 103 (374 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

perhaps if we made it read more like twitter speak: "mlkor wz pwned thn in mandos crib 3ages lol!"

no copyright violations there, i think.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 1:39am

Post #18 of 103 (375 views)
Shortcut
btw [In reply to] Can't Post

your profile indicates you are a history teacher... perhaps you can commiserate with a longtime friend of mine, who is a professor... he says a lot of his students submit papers in text-speak... "u" for "you"; "bcoz" for "beause" and so on... the sad thing is, in those cases, the students weren't aware of the standard format, from which they were deviating.

arugh!

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 8:11am

Post #19 of 103 (380 views)
Shortcut
Kind offer, but we might be able to spare you the typing [In reply to] Can't Post

The text of the letter can be found in a few places online e.g. http://smu.edu/...olkienLetters131.pdf

I suggest we do a bit of googling before we start, and link to an existing copy if there is one. If they've all been removed, that suggests the publisher's been issuing take-down notices, & we can rethink accordingly given what that would suggest about their attitude. It may be something of a non problem: many of us will have the letter already (2e Sil, or a copy of Letters), or be willing to buy a copy of Letters. Nice not to exclude anyone, though.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 23 2013, 10:27am

Post #20 of 103 (359 views)
Shortcut
Link works [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Furincurunir, that's a great resource! Levels the field for anyone who may want to join in with out Letters or the 2nd E Sil. Better to have access to the whole thing and be able to read it in context; then we can discuss it thematically as well. As Squire pointed out, we can post reference bits but better if it can be read as whole.

Thanks for finding that!!! AngelicSmile (Always good having a wizard on one's team.)

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 10:43am

Post #21 of 103 (359 views)
Shortcut
Volunteer needed to lead? [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil- are you keen to do this? If we do it immediately after the Sil finishes, it would be in mid/late August. That might clash with my holidays, a time where I may have little/no online access. So very happy if someone wants to take it on!

Or I could do it at a non holiday time !

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 12:09pm

Post #22 of 103 (378 views)
Shortcut
ah! [In reply to] Can't Post

i was going to suggest that brethil leads the #131 discussion (if she likes), as she +does+ have #131 tattooed on her arda.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jun 23 2013, 1:36pm

Post #23 of 103 (351 views)
Shortcut
#131 tatoo? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm imagining something like... http://m.flickr.com/...onickels/4699015688/

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 23 2013, 1:46pm

Post #24 of 103 (345 views)
Shortcut
(*snicker*) Right above my Arda indeed...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Jun 23 2013, 1:48pm

Post #25 of 103 (346 views)
Shortcut
Sure I will lead it out [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Happy to!!! And thanks again for finding it online, we can embed the link and everyone can keep up.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.