Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What are your favourite Reading Room threads?

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 11:20am

Post #1 of 22 (414 views)
Shortcut
What are your favourite Reading Room threads? Can't Post

The Reading Room just now says it has 44155 posts in 2730 threads. The old become buried by the new, and presumably will one day turn onto the cyber-equivalent of coal. In some ways, that's a good thing - has anyone else posted a question on a forum only to be told rather wearily "we've discussed all that."? (Which is unnecessarily rude, when you can be both charming and informative, as per Elizabeth here responding to a question about Balrog Wings ). But I wondered whether it might be fun for people to post links to some favourites. These might be discussions you remember fondly, or good stuff from prior to your own involvement, found by the palantir-search engine. Since subjects can interest one person but bore another, it would be nice to give a brief indication of what the thread is about. Then include a link (you can do this by clicking word "shortcut" under the poster's name, then copying the URL from your browser.

As an example, a favourite of mine is

Book I, Chapter 11, “A Knife in the Dark”: Are Black Riders Wimps? - from the 2010 LOTR read-through, this chapter led by Curious. Notable for some lovely casting of the text into plain verse, and a good discussion of the limited success the Black Riders are having & why. It's the first thread I found in this forum, arriving by Google trying to answer exactly that question. A happy day for me.

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 11:46am

Post #2 of 22 (277 views)
Shortcut
this is my favorite thread of all time [In reply to] Can't Post

this is my favorite thread of all time...

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=595943#595943

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 11:48am

Post #3 of 22 (258 views)
Shortcut
excuse my impishness [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't think i have favorite threads yet, but i do discover hidden gems, and glad they are accessible, whatever their age.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 12:20pm

Post #4 of 22 (240 views)
Shortcut
Fool of a Took! Link to your own thread next time :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, you got me, I did click the link all agog to see which your fave was! :)

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 12:26pm

Post #5 of 22 (231 views)
Shortcut
hahahahaha!!! : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

(maciliel laughs with wild, impish abandon, and of course invites nowime to join in...)

i'm especially enjoying that fool of a took excoriation.

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 12:32pm

Post #6 of 22 (229 views)
Shortcut
<Laughs heartily, falls down well , lands on Beater of the Drums> [In reply to] Can't Post

...or possibly, on Agog the goblin.

If you get a chance, do check out Curous' verse treatment in that 2010 link. I thought it was interesting to see the text that way.

squire
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 8:36pm

Post #7 of 22 (239 views)
Shortcut
This one will have been one of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Not yet though, for obvious reasons.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 18 2013, 9:30pm

Post #8 of 22 (214 views)
Shortcut
All of them [In reply to] Can't Post

I have loved reading all of the threads and am very impressed about the wonderful caliber to all of the discussions. Maybe someday, I'll contribute - but I am still a lurker, too self-conscious of my own inadequacies. . . Smile

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 9:42pm

Post #9 of 22 (193 views)
Shortcut
Your thoughts will be welcome, ltnjmy, whenever you're ready. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 12:07am

Post #10 of 22 (195 views)
Shortcut
ltnjmy! welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen, ltnjmy -- you know, you are no longer a lurker now... you are part of our silly company.

honestly, i just dove right in. it's sort of like jumping into a sparkling mountain lake... a little breath-catching at first, but then you warm right up. feel free to jump in and splash around. all we do here is share feelings and opinions. and most people have plenty of those.

anyway, hope to see you again, hope to see you soon. please, jump right in (also, there's a rope swing... you should check it out....).

many cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 10:37am

Post #11 of 22 (177 views)
Shortcut
Its important to post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its important to post if you feel you can - it's how you contribute to this community (there's also a donations button, of course, but a well funded site with no discussion would be pointless!). I see us as The Fellowship of the Room. We come in all shapes and sizes. We have all kinds of different abilities, and that is good - all kinds of perspectives are wanted. You are welcome on the quest whether you see your ability level as Gandalf or as Merry or Pippin.

And, of course, M & P turned out to be just what Middle-earth needed in the Fellowship, whereas the great Glorfindel was left behind in Rivendell, despite having a better resume ..... (Somewhere there was a thread speculating about what would have happened had Elrond got his way about that. I remember it having an assertion that then the story would end with Eowyn in a tower staring down an arrow at Arwen's coronation - a striking image, if a debatable one . Can I find that thread now, though? Can I heck! Maybe we should just have the discussion again....)

So, all well-intentioned posts welcome, be they of hobbit-like simplicity and cheer, or Elrondish scope and complexity! Other contributors may take things in a completely unexpected direction anyway......

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 11:04am

Post #12 of 22 (169 views)
Shortcut
nowimė [In reply to] Can't Post

nowimė, did you mean to reply to my post, or ltnjmy 's?

if you meant to reply to ltnjmy, he/she might not get the alert that you responded, if she/he hasn't selected the "watch thread" option, but if you replied directly, he/she would.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 12:08pm

Post #13 of 22 (166 views)
Shortcut
beautifully stated [In reply to] Can't Post

beautifully stated, btw...

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 12:54pm

Post #14 of 22 (159 views)
Shortcut
Curse these sub-threadses, we hates them we hates them forever :)// [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2013, 4:59pm

Post #15 of 22 (154 views)
Shortcut
What is most amusing [In reply to] Can't Post

is sador's response to FarFromHome's line! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 5:15am

Post #16 of 22 (160 views)
Shortcut
The farewell to the old Reading Room [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I always felt more comfortable there than I did in the new one. This thread still makes me teary-eyed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Elizabeth
Valinor

Apr 20 2013, 8:12am

Post #17 of 22 (150 views)
Shortcut
So many from my last 10 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ Strider on the parallels/contrasts between Eomer and Faramir:

Watch, incidentally, how a contrast between Éomer and Faramir emerges; more important in my view, however, is the comparison between Aragorn and Frodo which underlies the whole episode. There is a lot going on in this highly complex passage which Tolkien has crafted with great care.

Another brilliant NZ Strider parallel

Reverend on Frodo's Mail Shirt

Frodo was protected not only by Earendil's light, but his armor. Tada!

"Some thoughts" on sex in ME

Final thoughts on Unfinished Tales Not so much a "favorite thread" as an all-time favorite post, at the conclusion of a RR discussion of UT.

The Ring of Barahir A thread in which it's most important not to miss Who's buried in Beren's Tomb by my son, Count Zero.

Is the Shire in Kentucky? We have fun in the Reading Room!

The Strange Paths of Elvish Dreams

I posted Reverend on Balrog Wings just recently. This'll have to do for now!

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 8:27am

Post #18 of 22 (144 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - great reading material! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"nowimė I am in the West, and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 4:00pm

Post #19 of 22 (120 views)
Shortcut
Very bittersweet thread Aunt Dora...! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a jack-in-the box back in those days, but I do remember the old Room with fondness. On the other hand I love what we have today as well. Best of all worlds maybe.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 4:11pm

Post #20 of 22 (123 views)
Shortcut
Excellent thread selection Elizabeth, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ Strider's parallel gives one pause, especially since as you know I have Faramir "issues" Wink

I loved reading the posts about the Ring of Barahir. A great detailed history and hidden significance. (Amusing aside - in our household my DH pretty much 'asks and is given'...he requested the ring after seeing LOTR as a Christmas gift; but there my Tolkien loyalty overrode my generosity, and he was told Read the books, then you can have the ring...you can't have it 'til you understand what it is. Sadly we are a decade later and no reading as of yet. Sigh. I dangle the gift idea every few years just in case it might inspire him...!)

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 23 2013, 9:31pm

Post #21 of 22 (98 views)
Shortcut
I love all of the threads/postings in the Reading Room - Part 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all of the threads & postings - musings by fans of the wonderful words of Professor Tolkien. I think that is why I love this site so very, very much. We are all held/bound by the beautiful work that the great man created. And yet, I am still too shy/insecure to post anything substantive - yet - but everyone's kind encouragement is making me more open to doing something soon. . . Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 11:13pm

Post #22 of 22 (94 views)
Shortcut
Glad to read about your enjoyment! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love all of the threads & postings - musings by fans of the wonderful words of Professor Tolkien. I think that is why I love this site so very, very much. We are all held/bound by the beautiful work that the great man created. And yet, I am still too shy/insecure to post anything substantive - yet - but everyone's kind encouragement is making me more open to doing something soon. . . Smile

You are in good company ! Many of us hang about a bit before we commit to posting. But when you are ready know we are here and love to discuss JRRT all day long ( and all night, depending on your hemisphere...)! Keep reading, enjoying, and when you are ready - sharing your opinons!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.