Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Heads up for U.S. Richard III watchers.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Apr 19 2013, 11:18pm

Post #1 of 12 (209 views)
Shortcut
Heads up for U.S. Richard III watchers. Can't Post

Since there's been some interest among Tornsibs regarding the news of the discovery of the remains of Richard III, I thought I'd give a shout out that there's going to be a special about it Sunday evening this weekend on the Smithstonian channel for those with access to it.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 11:24pm

Post #2 of 12 (109 views)
Shortcut
thanks + darn it! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks = thanks for the alert --- just the thing i'd want to watch!

darn it! = i don't get the smithsonian channel.

alas and alack.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 11:55pm

Post #3 of 12 (94 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for posting Kelly [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I am hugely interested - and in the same leaky boat as Maciliel as I don't get the channel either! Perhaps we can find it available in an online manner at some point. Spoot.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 2:15pm

Post #4 of 12 (72 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

We'd been considering cancelling the Smithsonian Channel---we have to pay a bit extra for it---but this sounds like a good reason to hang in there for a while longer. Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 2:37pm

Post #5 of 12 (72 views)
Shortcut
again, want to thank you for this [In reply to] Can't Post

even though i won't be able to watch...

however...

i +love+ history, and have a particular interest in the tudors (of which richard iii is not, but he's right up against that master schemer, henry tudor).

i also have strong interest in those two lost princes... tie this all in with my interest in biology and anthropology, and this is a fantastic find, an intriguing subject.

as a side note, for all my interest in history and anthropology, whenever there are remains discovered, there is a human element as well... no matter how old those remains are.

a body met its end and its soul was laid to rest, presumably for all time, until we modern folk decide to dig everything up.

i think of this in regards to egyptian tombs, neanderthal burials, you name it. individuals have the right to say that this is my body, these are my beliefs, and this is how i want things done. it does conflict with respecting those beliefs to dig up graves and permanently house items and bodies in museum drawers, but of course we would know so much less if we did not. it's an unresolveable paradox.

requiescat in pace, richard plantagenet.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 20 2013, 2:37pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Apr 20 2013, 3:15pm

Post #6 of 12 (79 views)
Shortcut
You're very welcome. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the situation with Egyptian tombs and the like are dicey, but Richard's case was quite different. His remains were ignomiously dumped after his defeat, and his remaining loved ones - his illegitimate children, sisters and nephew John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln - were unable to recover them. Although he will not be buried with his wife Anne (unless there's new news about which I'm unaware), he will now presumably be given the same burial as many of his predecessors and successors - although from what I'm reading there's controversey over whether that should be in Leicester (closest to where the remains were found) or York (the city which by all accounts was his favorite). I can see both sides of the argument. There's alot to be said for burying him closest to where he fell, but an equal amount for a tomb being built for him in York Cathedral.

On a different note, I haven't read a thing about the female remains found with him.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 12 (65 views)
Shortcut
absolutely, and agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

kelly, +absolutely+. : )

richard was denied what most of us have and will have... this is an opportunity for science, for history, and for closure.

it's too bad it comes too late for the people in his life who would have gotten solace from his burial.

if you hear anything about the mystery woman, please do share. : )

many cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 11:20pm

Post #8 of 12 (52 views)
Shortcut
I don't get the Smithsonian Channel either, [In reply to] Can't Post

but sometimes their programs are available On Demand, and are open to everyone. I've watched several of their programs this way, but you're at their mercy as to what they make avialable.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 21 2013, 12:11am

Post #9 of 12 (59 views)
Shortcut
Will keep an eye out for it on demand [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks S-D!

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 23 2013, 12:10pm

Post #10 of 12 (42 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that tip! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know Smithsonian was available on On Demand. I'm definitely going to look for it!

The things I learn, here on TORn Sly.

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 23 2013, 2:09pm

Post #11 of 12 (38 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to Richard Armitage as Richard III [In reply to] Can't Post

If the people behind a new movie get there way--he's their first choice, and a good one (although a bit tall, but he's a bit tall for a dwarf, too).

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 23 2013, 5:03pm

Post #12 of 12 (31 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the heads up [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.