Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balin in the Dungeon
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 19 2013, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 34 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Balin in the Dungeon Can't Post

While re-watching some footage from the DOS sneak peek, I caught a flash of something white in the scene where Tauriel speaks to Legolas. The attached screencap confirms that it is Balin inside a dungeon cell. So we know that those "wickerwork" doors are the doors to the dungeon cells. What do you think the conversation is about?

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Attachments: BalinInTheDungeon.jpg (45.4 KB)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2013, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 34 (908 views)
Shortcut
parasites on their beards [In reply to] Can't Post

they have to clen them up, or the whole hall could get infested Tongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 19 2013, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 34 (888 views)
Shortcut
It's about Balin, but really it's about Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas: "You think this guy is attractive?"
Tauriel: "No, not this one...the other one...silly!"

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 34 (838 views)
Shortcut
Dinner. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel: What are the bow and arrows for?

Legolas: The little one in the cardigan was whinging about "green food", and now they're on a hunger strike! Can you believe it? I'm going out to get some squirrels or rabbits or something. Bloody dwarves!

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 7:21pm

Post #5 of 34 (815 views)
Shortcut
well the conversation probably goes something like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel: You know we should not be holding innocent dwarfs like they are common criminals.
Legolas: My father has deemed them trespassers and they will be held until their intentions are known.
Tauriel: who are we to intervene and hold them from their purpose?
Legolas: I saw you making eyes with that beardless dwarf
Tauriel: and What of it, you think your the only stud in middle earth?
Legolas storms off

Later on she slips Kili the key to her bedchambers and Bilbo the cell keys and keeps all the other elves out of the dungeons so they can make a break for it after she has had her way with Kili Tongue

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 19 2013, 7:30pm

Post #6 of 34 (778 views)
Shortcut
LOL to above [In reply to] Can't Post

It could also be about the doors.

Tauriel: Did you see the new doors I had put in? Recycled material with no PCB's in them at all! They're also much stronger than those old oak things we had.
Legolas: Brilliant. They'll never get out of those cells. And, I congratulate you -- you are an eco-friendly gal! *high five*

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 8:05pm

Post #7 of 34 (753 views)
Shortcut
Why does everyone jus'... Assume Kili is her type? [In reply to] Can't Post

She could be a Chubby-Chaser
and InLust w/
Bombur?

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 19 2013, 8:44pm

Post #8 of 34 (743 views)
Shortcut
The Tauriel/Legolas/Kili triangle is going to happen, without a doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the perfect way of explaining Legolas's hatred for Dwarves. Especially if her love for Kili leads to her demise...(just speculation! ;))

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Apr 19 2013, 9:54pm

Post #9 of 34 (677 views)
Shortcut
Great Eye! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Balin is attempting to reason with Legolas and Tauriel, being the wise advisor he is. I wonder if this means each Dwarf will get their own cell? There's another cell up above him but I can't really see anything or anyone in it.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 10:44pm

Post #10 of 34 (654 views)
Shortcut
Love the picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing it. Can't wait to see more Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Lio
Lorien

Apr 19 2013, 11:09pm

Post #11 of 34 (603 views)
Shortcut
Nice find, it definitely looks like Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an interesting layout they've got for the cells as well. And those fancy doors! Laugh

I do wonder what Legolas and Tauriel are up to. Maybe they've just finished throwing the Dwarves in the dungeon and are debating about something?

Orcs are mammals!

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 11:14pm

Post #12 of 34 (611 views)
Shortcut
i just can't wait to see the woodland realm... [In reply to] Can't Post

that artwork PJ showed us made me drool!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 10:07am

Post #13 of 34 (501 views)
Shortcut
There also looks like there is another one, above Balin, up some steps. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully they are all separated in the films, and aren't all in this one.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 11:02am

Post #14 of 34 (498 views)
Shortcut
Why is everyone referring to a Tauriel-Legolas relationship??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't keep myself up-to-date about the films much regularly. But last I looked, I heard PJ denied that there would be any Tauriel -Lego relationship.

I hope there is none. Why is a love-relation has to be there in EVERY hollywood movie nowadays??
And I am actually very afraid to watch Tauriel. I don't have any problems with her being not created by Tolkien though. But I do hope she can act. I absolutely hate Liv Tyler's Arwen! Mad

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 20 2013, 1:26pm

Post #15 of 34 (459 views)
Shortcut
Not to worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Answers: first, the Legolas-Tauriel rumors were debunked years ago, so any references to such a "romance" nowadays are just jokes. As to your second question: if you doubt Evangeline Lilly's ability to portray a female elf, I suggest you watch some episodes from season 1 of "LOST" (try episode 12) where she does all her own stunts climbing up and down trees in the forest (and does some fine acting, IMO). That's one reason why I'm a big fan of Tauriel-- 5 years ago when I saw this I thought, "She'd make a great forest elf". And Philippa Boyens herself said, "Wait till you see Evangeline Lilly- she IS an elf!"

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 3:39pm

Post #16 of 34 (434 views)
Shortcut
When were they debunked? [In reply to] Can't Post

The last I remember was that Turner said that Kili had a crush on Tauriel, while at HobbitCon it was said Tauriel had a crush on Thranduil.

Neither of which I remember being "debunked". They've remained unconfirmed rumours.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 20 2013, 4:14pm

Post #17 of 34 (452 views)
Shortcut
The specific rumor mentioned... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in the post referred to a Legolas-Tauriel romance, which was debunked by Peter Jackson personally. The Kili-Tauriel thing, from the comments made by Aiden Turner, appears to be pretty a much one-way crush on his part, not a "romance". And the Tauriel-Thranduil rumor came from one person who attended HobbitCon in Germany, and appears to have been an April Fool's joke that he took seriously (the "Azog dies in DOS" rumor came from the exact same source and has been debunked by Manu Bennet himself in his recent interview, and I waded through ten pages of the Thranduil thread on the German herr-der-ringe website and saw virtually no mention of the Tauriel rumor).

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 4:52pm

Post #18 of 34 (404 views)
Shortcut
Many apologies DwellerInDale... [In reply to] Can't Post

I mis-read your first post, and replaced "Legolas" with "Kili". My fault. Everything you say is as much as I know too.

Unsure

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Apr 20 2013, 5:07pm

Post #19 of 34 (398 views)
Shortcut
Not to worry [In reply to] Can't Post

...I guess she's been the object of so many romance rumors, it's difficult to keep them straight Wink.

For an illustration of how tough a lady Tauriel is, go to this thread.

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 7:49pm

Post #20 of 34 (383 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that. [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for the confirmation.
But I also don't like the idea of the crush. It's really unnecessary. I hope it's only a rumour and nothing more.

As for Evangeline Lily's acting skills, I do not doubt her. But since I haven't seen in any of her works, I was just worrying if she might turn out like Liv Tyler. (no offense meant for Tyler-fans)
I admit though, she does look elvish. Smile

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 20 2013, 7:58pm

Post #21 of 34 (365 views)
Shortcut
What don't you like about Liv? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall. As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last. For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive." -Arwen

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 20 2013, 8:16pm

Post #22 of 34 (361 views)
Shortcut
It's only my opinion ... [In reply to] Can't Post

so don't get fired up.

Well foremost of all I don't like her acting. Seems too wooden and fake for me. And (I think) almost every dialoge she speaks is of the same tone and more or less with the same expressions. And I start to cringe when she cries in front of Elrond in TTT. That's her worst scene, imo. I admit there are a few scenes where she is good, but to me they are just a few touches of brilliance in what I think was a shallow performance. Besides her, I think all characters played their parts well, except Elijah Wood (who's okay I think. Not bad but won't call it very good). And the other two female choices, Miranda Otto and Cate were excellent! Miranda's performance was one of the most faithful transformations from the book. Perhaps a little less cold, but she did a great job.

(This post was edited by Smeagol Bagginsess on Apr 20 2013, 8:17pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 20 2013, 8:41pm

Post #23 of 34 (349 views)
Shortcut
Commence firing in 3...2...1... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I disagree wholeheartedly with you, I certainly am not going to get fired up over it Cool

I'm sure you can tell that I love Arwen and Liv by my signature and avatar. I think Liv did a wonderfully fantastic job portraying an ancient, otherworldly, ephemeral being. I think she portrays wisdom and strength, but also vulnerability. Besides that, I think she's positively gorgeous and definitely captures the beauty of Arwen.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2013, 9:17pm

Post #24 of 34 (335 views)
Shortcut
Out of interest ... what do you find *more* frustrating/annoying? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it Liv Tyler's portrayal as Arwen, or her extended role in the films (or both!)?

For what it's worth, I have to echo what Ardamírë said. Liv was made to be Arwen.

Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 10:42pm

Post #25 of 34 (309 views)
Shortcut
I must also agree here Ardamire [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
While I disagree wholeheartedly with you, I certainly am not going to get fired up over it Cool

I'm sure you can tell that I love Arwen and Liv by my signature and avatar. I think Liv did a wonderfully fantastic job portraying an ancient, otherworldly, ephemeral being. I think she portrays wisdom and strength, but also vulnerability. Besides that, I think she's positively gorgeous and definitely captures the beauty of Arwen.

I think she was perfectly cast, and did a wonderful job. Physically and tonally - an otherwordly beautiful woman like that, with that facility of Elven language, and what she did with her voice timbre to accommodate the aging of the vocals - amazing work, and exactly how I would want to picture Arwen. One of the things I worried about ahead of time, and then was delighted with. Angelic

Manwe, when asked a simple "Yes" or "No" question, contemplated, and responded "the middle one."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.