Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
This Movie will grow with us...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 3:31am

Post #51 of 56 (203 views)
Shortcut
I did not [In reply to] Can't Post

miss Tom Bombadil. lol Tongue

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 8:01am

Post #52 of 56 (196 views)
Shortcut
Barrow-wights [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand, were great, and would have been good in the film but agree about Tom Bombadil.

There were quite a few things I didn't like about LOTR (but had to accept), e.g. lack of Glorfindel and his substitution with a love interest, changes to Faramir, total wipe out of (non-book) Elves at Helm's Deep, while Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas miraculously survive, etc.

In Reply To
miss Tom Bombadil. lol Tongue

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 19 2013, 1:02pm

Post #53 of 56 (177 views)
Shortcut
That would have been cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Those would have been cool to see on screen but you'd have to still figure out how to get rid of Tom B and have them saved.

Of course there are some things I'd change with The Lord of the Rings but as a whole it was done so so well. Having Glorfindel be in there someplace for a second would have been fine by me. I don't mind them putting the love story in there between Aragorn/Arwen. That was a mix in that I did enjoy seeing come to life. I assume the Elves at Helm's Deep survived (at least some) and Jackson just doesn't show them. Gonna play glass half-full with that one. lol I did think Faramir got the short end of the stick in the TE but much better in the EE. I will say the one thing for me that I truly just dislike is Frodo sending Sam away. That was just such a bad idea but I do get as my friend put it this allows Sam to show just how much he does care about Frodo.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Apr 19 2013, 1:03pm)

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 19 2013, 6:08pm

Post #54 of 56 (148 views)
Shortcut
Glorfindel [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing that this still rankles people about LOTR.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 8:43pm

Post #55 of 56 (133 views)
Shortcut
More deeply than you know. [In reply to] Can't Post

MadMadMad Piss on a Figwit. . . and Lindir *spits on the ground in annoyance. . . ire*

In Reply To
Amazing that this still rankles people about LOTR.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Jettorex
Lorien

Apr 23 2013, 2:09pm

Post #56 of 56 (72 views)
Shortcut
I have to wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

....for the extended editions to come out before i pass final judgement because i think they are the definitive versions of the film. My first impression however is that it is a very good movie, but not a masterpiece like LotR (which I knew right off the bat, without having to see the extended versions).
First impression for me though is that they tried to go to "big"/epic/action, too much a prequel to LotR(as opposed to keeping it closer to the "quaint" tone of the book), and inserting the Azog plotline wayyyy too soon. And yes Radagast was just a tad too goofy for my liking.

But like I said-I want to see the extended versions.

Any word yet on when its coming out?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.