Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Age limit of DoS & TABA

trqn13
Bree

Apr 19 2013, 12:12pm

Post #1 of 18 (934 views)
Shortcut
Age limit of DoS & TABA Can't Post

Wondering what the age restrictions will be on the Desolation of Smaug and There and back again, as An unexpected journey was 12a I imagine the others will be higher? considering AUJ didn't really have as much violence as can be expected in the BOFA and other scenes?

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Apr 19 2013, 12:49pm

Post #2 of 18 (444 views)
Shortcut
I reckon the age limit will stay the same... [In reply to] Can't Post

... considering that all the LoTR-films and AUJ all had the same rating (at least here in Sweden, rated 11). The forthcoming films will no doubt be more violent, but with the "right type" of violence (only black blood, etc), they should all be able to maintain the same rating. I think a higher age limit would be kinda devastating regarding box office figures, since children constitute a good deal of the audience. It would also be inconsistent to let young children watch the first film in a series, but not number two and three.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 8:15pm

Post #3 of 18 (274 views)
Shortcut
MPAA ratings are A relic of the Past? [In reply to] Can't Post

"The current rating system emerged in 1968, when MPAA chairman Jack Valenti replaced the earlier moral censorship guidelines, known as the Hays Code, with a revolutionary new parent-focused rating system. While the Hays Code authorized a movie for distribution based on whether it was deemed “moral” according to an exhaustive list of rules, the current movie rating system was born out of the simple notion that the movie industry wouldn’t approve or disapprove what audiences should see, but instead would focus on “freeing the screen” and educating parents to help them make movie-going decisions for their family. The current Classification & Ratings Administration (CARA), with a rating board made up of an independent group of parents, gives advance cautionary warnings to families about a movie’s content. CARA’s mission is to afford parents the tools they need to make informed decisions about what their children watch."

By the time any child these days turns 10 his/her bodyCount from games,etc...Reach Millions of kills?

sycorax82
Rohan

Apr 19 2013, 8:42pm

Post #4 of 18 (263 views)
Shortcut
There's no way they won't be PG-13/12A [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be absolutely pointless to take them to a higher rating, and a commercial disaster! All for the sake of more graphic violence??

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 11:21pm

Post #5 of 18 (242 views)
Shortcut
it will be a PG-13, perhaps the EE's will have unrated cuts [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ and the actors have all said DOS will be much dark than AUJ, even with a PG-13 PJ can get away with a lot. I'm still shocked PJ got away with the catapulting numerous human heads into Minas Tirith! i've still never seen anything that violent in a PG-13 film since.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 20 2013, 10:32pm

Post #6 of 18 (182 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. That was . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedAnd yet Frodo is found still wearing pants after having been thoroughly searched by Orcs. . . there is a head scratcher. lol

In Reply To
PJ and the actors have all said DOS will be much dark than AUJ, even with a PG-13 PJ can get away with a lot. I'm still shocked PJ got away with the catapulting numerous human heads into Minas Tirith! i've still never seen anything that violent in a PG-13 film since.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2013, 10:45pm

Post #7 of 18 (170 views)
Shortcut
wow...just wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 1:42am

Post #8 of 18 (150 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the US [In reply to] Can't Post

Where The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was rated PG-13. I'm sure it will have the same rating for the next two installments. There's no reason why it should go up-or down for that matter.

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 10:54am

Post #9 of 18 (112 views)
Shortcut
It'll be a 12A [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no way Warners will allow a family franchise to go to a 15.Plus I doubt there will be anything worse in them than what was depicted in The Two Towers and Return of the King. AUJ featured a good few beheadings and suchlike, as well as that headbutt - which not only gave the film a 12A but the trailer too (the BBFC are very cautious about headbutts).

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Apr 21 2013, 10:59am

Post #10 of 18 (116 views)
Shortcut
An interesting note about these films and the 12A certificate - [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you know that The Two Towers was instrumental in getting the certificate introduced? Everyone assumes it was the fuss over Spider-Man being a 12 (and so kids couldn't see it) but plans were in place long before that. The studio approached the BBFC early in the year with footage, discussing their worries that a PG franchise would be about to rule out kids following it thanks to Helm's Deep and the battle violence and what could be done as cutting it would lose the impact (plus the fact that they thought children around the age of 10/11 would be able to handle it within that context). The BBFC listened, discussed, researched and so forth, and thus the 12A was later born (on September 6th 2002, to be precise with The Bourne Identity being the first release classified as such).

Now, what I can't say was whether or not the 12A or something similar was in discussion before then. All I know is that the fears of the 12 certificate on Two Towers played a huge role in getting it instigated.

(This post was edited by Rohirrim Rider on Apr 21 2013, 11:00am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 21 2013, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 18 (95 views)
Shortcut
Lol. I am serious though! Heads over ramparts is okay, but a half glimpse of Frodo's hindparts [In reply to] Can't Post

is too edgy??? Damned foolishness. I can understand not going whole hog frontal naked nudity, sure. . . but there is no good reason that Frodo should not have been about as well/poorly clothed as Gollum when he is found as a well searched prisoner of the orcs. The Great Goblin said search every crack and crevice, and the orcs don't seem like the types to have shyed away from the job for modesty.

In Reply To
lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

trqn13
Bree

Apr 21 2013, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 18 (90 views)
Shortcut
otherwise................ [In reply to] Can't Post

wanting to see Frodo naked aside, I for one am expecting DoS & TABA to be really violent imagine we'll see Azog killed, the legolas thranduil tauriel orc torture scene in mirkwood and fighting spiders and Smaug death?, and taba with all those dwarves fighting in the BOFA as Gimli is portrayed as most violent in the battle of helms deep and so forth, Beorn ripping Bolg and others apart, triple death scene Thorin Fili Kili, not really under 12 year old material.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2013, 9:14pm

Post #13 of 18 (66 views)
Shortcut
guess you'll have to wait for that unrated version ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

personally i would rather see Tauriel's hindparts in the next film! i don't think that is too much to ask for!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 1:02am

Post #14 of 18 (58 views)
Shortcut
I want to see the John Boorman planned version where Galdariel is [In reply to] Can't Post

worshipped by Frodo. . . in THAT way. lol. And I would rather have seen Arwen's, but my complaint is less a cry for skin for its own sake than a disgusted admonishon and scorning of the fact that catapulting heads is somehow more acceptable than a bit of entirely proper contextual ass cheek. A person who has been brutally interrogated and assiduously searched by orcs is NOT going to be chilling in his trousers.

In Reply To
personally i would rather see Tauriel's hindparts in the next film! i don't think that is too much to ask for!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 1:25am

Post #15 of 18 (55 views)
Shortcut
hopefully they'll make up for it with Tauriel! [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 22 2013, 2:06am

Post #16 of 18 (50 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkIn that steamy, Game of Thrones Quality extended scene with Kili. ShockedSly

In Reply To

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2013, 3:26am

Post #17 of 18 (43 views)
Shortcut
Hear! Hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 4:04am

Post #18 of 18 (51 views)
Shortcut
Winning! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

In Reply To
Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.