Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
On the borders of Rohan, crossing into Gondor.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 18 2013, 3:18am

Post #1 of 27 (334 views)
Shortcut
On the borders of Rohan, crossing into Gondor. Can't Post

I am realizing that I am about to ride from the grassy fields of Rohan to the great kingdom of Gondor. I joined the Forums on July 22, 2011 (my youngest daughter's birthday) but had been lurking about for quite a while, before mustering up the courage to join such a passionate, literate, amazing group of fans here on TORn. I remember reading a thread posted by Arandiel, when she was at the same point in her Journey, and she wrote a wonderful Riddle-Mathom. I am not quite as clever as she is, except with crude limericks perhaps! but did want to say a few things about being here on this stage of my Journey.

It has been an Adventure of epic proportions! I have seen many discussions, some articulate and well-written, others written as if they were texts from a cellphone. But no matter how they are written, no matter what the opinions are, no matter if they are agreeable or disagreeable, they have one thing in common: Passion.

There is an underlying passion for Tolkien's works in each and every post I've read. This is truly a Community of passionate people, and both positive and negative threads and posts just emphasize this quality even more. I have, on occasion, looked at other forums (gasp!), but always came back here. The respect that people have for each other, even in the midst of disagreeing (well generally, but that is where the Exalted Administrators step in), is something very unusual and unique in a world of texts and tweets and sound bites and shock value. Before I discovered these Forums, finding such a Community of fellow passionate people seemed like a dream. But now my dream has come true, thanks to ALL of you!!!!

Now, before I get too misty-eyed and maudlin, I will continue on my Journey and cross the borders of Gondor. I haven't decided yet where in the forums I will cross, but I guess it really doesn't matter. It will be done with Passion.

Thank you all for your patience,
Aragalen the Green

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Apr 18 2013, 3:19am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 18 2013, 3:35am

Post #2 of 27 (216 views)
Shortcut
It's the deep breath before the plunge. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I recall, it took forever to cross Gondor to the lonely Isle of Eressea. God speed, well done and all that.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 18 2013, 8:01am

Post #3 of 27 (197 views)
Shortcut
If your looking for a nice house to stay in while in Gondor ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard that Pelargir has a nice sea-view. I'd stay away from the Mountains of Shadow though ... unless that's your kind of thing. Wink

Congratulation on getting to Gondor. Here's to many more years of happy posting.

Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 18 2013, 8:23am

Post #4 of 27 (197 views)
Shortcut
Bring on the crude limericks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe not. Wink
Congratulations on your milestone, and here's to many more. I always enjoy your posts, and I also like looking at those cute avatar pics!

It is also important to note that you have reached Gondor without cheating.
I seem to recall certain TORn persons who shall remain nameless *cough* Daniel LB *cough* Sir Dennis, who increased their posting rate in a ridiculous manner to get across borders. Shocking. Laugh
I, for one, would never resort to such behaviour. Angelic

Tintallë
Gondor

Apr 18 2013, 3:56pm

Post #5 of 27 (177 views)
Shortcut
Yet I, after more than a decade here am still in Rohan. *sigh* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 18 2013, 4:30pm

Post #6 of 27 (188 views)
Shortcut
Congrats, Argalen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Will look forward to seeing the new Place with your neat Avatars...

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 18 2013, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 27 (189 views)
Shortcut
Congrats [In reply to] Can't Post

At my current rate of 0.5 posts per day since I first joined in November of 2011, I will be joining you in Gondor in exactly 1,486 days. Save me a seat, will ya?

As three great Jewels they were in form. But not until the End, when Fëanor shall return who perished ere the Sun was made, and sits now in the Halls of Awaiting and comes no more among his kin; not until the Sun passes and the Moon falls, shall it be known of what substance they were made. Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 18 2013, 5:56pm

Post #8 of 27 (202 views)
Shortcut
Not at all trying to discourage you, but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that little stroll between Half-elven status and becoming Immortal is, well, I'll say it's a challange.Angelic

Permanent address: Into the West

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 18 2013, 6:33pm

Post #9 of 27 (162 views)
Shortcut
Watch out when you pass the Druadan Forest [In reply to] Can't Post

The Woses have been drumming lately, probably waiting for YOU with poisoned darts. :)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 18 2013, 6:57pm

Post #10 of 27 (165 views)
Shortcut
Thanks and congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

It gets easy to feel 'not-clever' around here, believe me! (the Reading Room still scares me Crazy)

And those 'crude limericks' are a high art form, in my book - right up there with pants threads and pun-hijacks!

Congrats again, and many happy return postings!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 10:57pm

Post #11 of 27 (154 views)
Shortcut
To hasten your journey, I suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

going to every post on every thread on every board and replying with either "agree//" or "disagree//".

For my own journey, I felt rather silly, because I really didn't care what my "rank" was. But I was at the Rohan level a long time, and I started to realize that that is a part of LOTR that leaves me feeling beat up: Boromir dies, the hobbits are kidnapped, Aragorn is distraught, Helm's Deep teeters on defeat, and even when they win, Gandalf (of all people!) panics over the palantir & Winged Messenger episode and races away like a madman. So realizing how beat up I feel in those chapters, it actually made a difference getting to Gondor level. Which is a nice place as long as you don't look east and don't mind old men setting themselves on fire. Really, it's a nice place.

Congrats in advance on your advancement.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 11:00pm

Post #12 of 27 (169 views)
Shortcut
Have you noticed how silly we are in the Reading Room these days? [In reply to] Can't Post

You should feel pretty smart reading our goofy puns and debates about debating.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 11:30pm

Post #13 of 27 (147 views)
Shortcut
hi araglen : ) [In reply to] Can't Post

looking forward to seeing to what forum yo u bestow your next/1000th post.

i feel similarly, only i'm galloping towards rohan. i've been looking forward to that for a while, as my avatar is a horse, and it just seems fitting. unlike curiousg, to me, rohan seems like a wonderful, wonderful place, and part of me will be sad to leave it, when i cross (eventually) into gondor.

many cheers, and congrats : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 12:28am

Post #14 of 27 (154 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the RR is going through somewhat of a revival [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised if a good pants thread should appear in those hallowed halls.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2013, 11:13am

Post #15 of 27 (127 views)
Shortcut
At least you pay attention to the border crossing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I apparently blundered my way right into Gondor about 38 miles, I mean posts, ago without even noticing the scenery change. I clearly missed the "YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE REALM OF GONDOR" highway sign. Typical! Tongue

But congrats, Aragalen. Glad you found your way here, and welcome to Gondor!

Oh, and limericks? Them's is high poetry, sistah. Don' choo go dissin' no limericks now, savvy?

The limerick's an art form sublime
And writing them's never a crime;
Fantastically funny,
They're sill and punny!
I'd write one right now, if I'd time.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2013, 11:30am

Post #16 of 27 (129 views)
Shortcut
one of the reasons why the reading room is experiencing a revival... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is precisely because no one is wearing pants.

it has freed up discussion immensely.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 19 2013, 11:08pm

Post #17 of 27 (104 views)
Shortcut
You are simply saving your wisdom and deploying it strategically. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
At my current rate of 0.5 posts per day since I first joined in November of 2011, I will be joining you in Gondor in exactly 1,486 days. Save me a seat, will ya?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Apr 20 2013, 4:27am

Post #18 of 27 (104 views)
Shortcut
I've peered in the windows, but [In reply to] Can't Post

not had a chance to observed the silliness. Maybe I'll have to take a closer look...

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 21 2013, 6:03pm

Post #19 of 27 (93 views)
Shortcut
Gondor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gondor! Gondor, between the Mountains and the Sea!
West Wind blew there; the light upon the Silver Tree
Fell like bright rain in gardens of the Kings of old.
O proud walls! White towers! O wingéd crown and throne of gold!
O Gondor, Gondor! Shall Men behold the Silver Tree,
Or West Wind blow again between the Mountains and the Sea?

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Kimtc
Rohan

Apr 22 2013, 12:31am

Post #20 of 27 (78 views)
Shortcut
Not long after I posted above, I left the verdant forests of Lorien and rode my horse into Rohan! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really didn't expect it--hadn't been keeping track. I am happy to be taking your place in Rohan's halls, in whose mighty company I shall not be ashamed.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 12:50am

Post #21 of 27 (71 views)
Shortcut
I too am honored :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And Welcome to Rohan! You are in good company here, and I enjoy your posts! Keep it up and I'll be seeing you in Gondor soon!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 12:53am

Post #22 of 27 (71 views)
Shortcut
I must agree with Kimtc :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm saving a seat for you! I'll tarry here a while, I've heard they have a great Library!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 12:58am

Post #23 of 27 (68 views)
Shortcut
Well, I held out for a while, but could not resist... [In reply to] Can't Post

Commenting in the Hobbit Movie forum. I'm afraid I've already forgotten which thread Blush

(Oh yes, it was "Epic scenes) Wink

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 1:00am

Post #24 of 27 (71 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I noticed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was trying to remember who posted the Riddle-Mathom, and thought it was you; so I peeked at your profile Tongue. It was hard to find though, I had to pull back all the pictures pinned on the wall of a particular Dwarf and his Hair Blush

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Apr 22 2013, 1:03am

Post #25 of 27 (70 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I shall continue to endeavor to furnish these forums with insightful, literate and profound observations.

Or post a bunch of junk, whichever happens to apply :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.