Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How often do you start a thread on TORn?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How often do you start a thread on TORn?
At least once a week, and it's not a "regular" feature
I'm responsible for a weekly feature.
once or twice a month
rarely
never
View Results (57 votes)

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 3:46pm

Post #1 of 26 (625 views)
Shortcut
How often do you start a thread on TORn? Can't Post

I'm curious how often people start threads of their own instead of just responding to others. I allow multiple answers because I know some folks HAVE to post weekly threads such as the "What Have You Been Reading?" thread in Off Topic. But besides that duty, how often do you start a thread?

If you are a frequent thread-initiator, what kinds of things do you post, and on what boards?

If you don't start threads, why not?

Inquiring minds want to know.

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 7 2013, 3:48pm)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 7 2013, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 26 (417 views)
Shortcut
Extremely rarely [In reply to] Can't Post

Heck I don't do a lot of responding. More of a bobble head dog nodding along with comments on my side of the screen.

Few original thoughts so don't start threads. Also, I'm more of the observing type anyway.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2013, 5:30pm

Post #3 of 26 (411 views)
Shortcut
haven't clocked it [In reply to] Can't Post

... but once a week probably is close.

i just dive in... .something occurs to me, and i want to know what others think.

i'll post anywhere, really. haven't posted in some forums yet. so far, i've started threads in feedback, main, reading room, the hobbit.

i'll post on more straight up stuff like --- "am i the only one who liked the stone giants?" -- as well as more esoteric stuff, like -- "the biology of dragons." it all fascinates.

i +love+ the chapter reading threads. love, love, love.

cheers --

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Apr 7 2013, 5:32pm)

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 6:12pm

Post #4 of 26 (399 views)
Shortcut
I simply don't know how. [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 6:35pm

Post #5 of 26 (393 views)
Shortcut
it's easy [In reply to] Can't Post

at the top of each forum page, there's a little button that says "POST NEW." Click on that, and then it's just like the reply window.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 7 2013, 6:45pm

Post #6 of 26 (379 views)
Shortcut
Ok. Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 7 2013, 7:35pm

Post #7 of 26 (440 views)
Shortcut
Oup, here we go [In reply to] Can't Post

You can lead a horse to water, but if you teach it to fish, it will come back to you. Laugh

I'm thinking of starting a thread in Moots just now, just to tilt the thread counter. Don't think I wouldn't

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 2:04am

Post #8 of 26 (377 views)
Shortcut
I think I enjoy starting Reading Room threads most of all [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileI learn something every time I go there.

(It might get even better if Sir Dennis reads Sil at last............just saying.)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 8 2013, 2:05am)

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 8 2013, 2:58am

Post #9 of 26 (360 views)
Shortcut
Well, this is totally off-topic, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I read a book on decoding the Book of Revelations, and it said that no one knew even in the 1st/2nd century what 666 stood for in a name and they couldn't figure out the reference. So if they couldn't, we sure can't, and since then, that number no longer seems creepy to me.

But add a thread count to moot if you'd like, since the last time I bought sheets, the sales person said the higher the thread count, the more comfortable the bed feels and the better you sleep. :)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 8 2013, 3:27am

Post #10 of 26 (372 views)
Shortcut
But... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if he tips the thread counter, won't they all roll off?

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 8 2013, 8:09am

Post #11 of 26 (349 views)
Shortcut
Not that often [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm more worried by my level of posting, rather than thread making. CrazyWink

I spend the majority of my time in The Hobbit board. I think most discussions have been exhausted by now, so I rarely come up with an interesting/original discussion.

And while I like to think I'm knowledgable in Tolkien, I am but I mere amateaur to those in the Reading Room. Laugh

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 8 2013, 8:10am)

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Apr 8 2013, 10:59am

Post #12 of 26 (342 views)
Shortcut
Once or twice a month [In reply to] Can't Post

In different boards - not really anything specific. I post if I have either a question or some random thoughts I feel compelled to share with fellow TORNsibs.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2013, 12:44pm

Post #13 of 26 (350 views)
Shortcut
I rarely start threads. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been much of a thread starter on any forums i've frequented.

I don't get here as often as i'd like, so when i do, theres' usually already plenty here to look at. And if i do have a specific question, i can usually find an existing thread to ask it in. Although, if i find an interesting interview, or tidbit of information, that hasn't been posted yet, i will start a new one. That just doesn't seem to happen all that often.

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 8 2013, 6:21pm

Post #14 of 26 (327 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

Those of us who post in the Reading Room seem to expose more of what we don't know than what we do know. But maybe we're outspoken amateurs. :)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 8 2013, 8:37pm

Post #15 of 26 (287 views)
Shortcut
I was taught that it was most likely a reference to Nero. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 8 2013, 8:46pm

Post #16 of 26 (350 views)
Shortcut
Yes, my book said it might be Nero also, but the author admitted he wasn't sure.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Finwe
Lorien

Apr 9 2013, 8:24pm

Post #17 of 26 (270 views)
Shortcut
Rarely [In reply to] Can't Post

My attendance on the boards themselves is sporadic, as I check in when I get spare time at work, which ebbs and flows with the busy times on my calendar. When I do get here, I typically like to do more reading than I do posting. Also, most of the questions I'm curious in have either been asked or are only interesting to me.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 9 2013, 9:42pm

Post #18 of 26 (276 views)
Shortcut
Nero [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you mind explaining that viewpoint?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2013, 5:39am

Post #19 of 26 (276 views)
Shortcut
Not nearly as often as I used to [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to volunteer to lead RR discussions, and I was in charge of the Walk to Rivendell thread for a year or two. Even did screencap posts in LotR movie at one point. Then I started working full-time and it all went by the wayside. I'm lucky to get to read the boards and maybe reply now and then.

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 15 2013, 8:41pm

Post #20 of 26 (213 views)
Shortcut
Almost never... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I don't do it because I haven't been around in ages, but actually the habit comes from the long ago, on the old boards, where a new post would knock one off the bottom. It always made me nervous to do something like that.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 16 2013, 4:52am

Post #21 of 26 (227 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, not at all like I used to do.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except in off topic, sometimes. I've been here so long that I've said and read all the Tolkien related discussions over and over. I don't even join in the Barlog wings conversations any more.

Marionette
Rohan

Apr 17 2013, 1:42pm

Post #22 of 26 (182 views)
Shortcut
Not that much, I try to not [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not post that much becoz english is not my language so I am more limited than if I were writting in my language, naturally. (And you find so difficult to read...)
I do not start discussions or subjects too complex I can not follow, but I have made some threads when I´m very curious

CuriousG
Valinor

Apr 17 2013, 10:16pm

Post #23 of 26 (182 views)
Shortcut
Nero and 666 [In reply to] Can't Post

My memory is dim, but here's the rationale. His name was really more than 4 letters. I think it was more like "Neron" in Latin. Or Greek. Sorry.

Then there was some system at the time that attributed numbers to letters, but it was not at all widespread, and varied by the person using it. But there was a way to assign numbers to his name to result in 666. I recall the author showing the arithmetic.

The other part was that he was one of the most feared and hated emperors, and it was common for mothers to tell children that if they don't behave, Nero will come and get you. He symbolized Bad People, like Hitler does today. So it made some sense in a revelation hearkening back to Babylon and other historical references that the Antichrist would be the same as Nero. If a prophecy in 2013 said "A new Hitler will arise," that wouldn't be literal, and I think it was the same intention with a warning about a new Nero.

But even with all that, the author (can't remember who) was candid and said there's no way to be sure what was meant. And it didn't help that some early versions of the Bible used 333 or 999 instead of 666.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Apr 18 2013, 12:56am

Post #24 of 26 (169 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, CuriousG. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have heard before of letters being related to numbers. I just had never heard that Nero's name related to 666. I suppose it's possible that Nero was the Antichrist, but I really don't know. I'm sure it'll all make sense when the end comes Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 18 2013, 4:03am

Post #25 of 26 (235 views)
Shortcut
The essential feature of [In reply to] Can't Post

an (or the) Antichrist is someone who would set themselves up in opposition to Christ. They could be a leader of a church just as easily as your garden variety totalitarian ruler.

Nero was a persecutor of Christians, but so was Paul for a time. Hitler was closer to an Antichrist because of the way he tried to corrupt/co-opt and overthrow the church in Germany; he too persecuted Christians who wouldn't adopt his version of religion.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 18 2013, 4:09am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.