Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Just back from HobbitCon
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 2:25pm

Post #26 of 36 (308 views)
Shortcut
I really have no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

since all I remember from the panels regarding this topic is a hint from Peter Hambleton and John Callen about some among the company of Dwarves not being sufficiently hostile to the Elves, or something to this effect (perhaps one of my other four TORnsibs there has a better memory? Mine is like a Swiss cheese, mostly holes). I don't recall anyone mentioning Thranduil but then I didn't go to any of the lectures in German, concentrating on the panels by the actors and trying to catch a bit of the Weta guys' presentations.

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 2:33pm

Post #27 of 36 (301 views)
Shortcut
Control yourself (or rather, not controlling yourself) in which way? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you should've been there, it would've been fun to meet! Didn't I suggest weeks back selling your best photos from South Georgia to some publishers of calendars or the like, in order to finance coming to HobbitCon? I rather think I did, but then my memory is so wretched... Unsure

Let's all hope and pray there will be another HobbitCon (which would in all likelihood be much more crowded, judging from the success of this one).

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 3:14pm

Post #28 of 36 (351 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon impressions, part one [In reply to] Can't Post

I've tried and tried during the past week to marshal my memories into some kind of coherent report but since I have a hard time deciphering my diary (written lying flat on my back in bed usually very late at night) and not having taking any notes of the panels (too busy listening and laughing), I just can't do it. Besides, Rosie and Laguz have covered most of the grounds already Smile so I'll confine myself to impressions rather than facts.

A couple of months back Riven Delve started a thread on the Hobbit boards about how each of the Dwarves made her fall in love with him, and I've had the same thing happening to me over those four incredible days, involving not the Dwarves as characters in a film but the men behind the masks, as it were.

Having arrived on the afternoon of Good Friday, the day prior to the con's official start, I was resting on my bed at the Maritim hotel early in the evening when reception rang and said my friends were here so I went downstairs, met Laguz and Autumn, and took them up to my room where we became acquainted and they helped me assemble some little gifts for the actors. Eventually they left me to write accompanying tiny cards and rest a little longer, and I ate the cheese rolls and an apple which I had been too nervous to eat on the train. Also took half a tablet of my anti-panic medication as I was really freaked out by the idea of accosting the actors and possibly meeting with a rebuff. At around half past eight I ventured down to the foyer, meeting up with L. and A. again, and then mustered all my courage and walked over to the table L. mentioned where seven of the actors were still sitting and chatting after finishing their dinner. I introduced myself with a bow as 'Kiwifan, at your service' and told them exactly what I'd been dreaming about telling them for weeks, and that seemed to go down rather well Smile. We ended up talking about New Zealand, and it all was quite easy and painless although I'm sure I made a right fool of myself in the beginning, being so nervous, and proved to be the first of several encounters over the course of HC, some of them involving some quite lengthy conversations about rather private and personal matters so I won't describe them. Handed over my little gifts which were well received, noticed L. and A. observing all of this, beckoned them to come over, and introduced them, too. The only ones missing were Adam Brown who arrived later from London, when the actors were ensconced in what became their private corner in the bar, and we girls (Laguz, Autumn, Akanarichan and I) were strategically positioned at the bar, observing the comings and goings. I managed to give Adam his gift and card some time after he had arrived and exchanged a few words with him, and caught Mark Hadlow the next day after lunch, so that part of my mission was accomplished fairly easily.

I'd better hit the 'send' button before my internet connection is cut off again, and continue in part two (those already bored needn't bother to read on. Wink)

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 12 2013, 5:00pm

Post #29 of 36 (349 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon impressions, part two [In reply to] Can't Post

Just re-read what I wrote in part one, and am afraid I'm still not very coherent. Sorry! Evil

Having separated not too late that first evening (must have been around 10.30 p.m.), Laguz and Autumn to return to their hotel and Akanarichan (Aka for short in the following) and I to return to our respective rooms, we met again in the morning where they (and Rosie with the ribbons, who had arrived that day and whom I recognised straight away) were standing in line for the first Weta workshop (see Rosie's and Laguz' entries) while I, still unused to so many people, took a brief walk down to the Rhine river and back, to clear my head, my first and only time to leave the hotel during those amazing days. The weather was still unseasonably cold and grey but I needed the fresh air. Returned to my room to prepare a little surprise for a TORnsib who should've been at HC but couldn't be due to illness, then met the other four after their workshop was over. We all managed to meet again several times during HC (even though I don't have a properly functioning mobile phone) either by design or by chance, since apparently HC was rather small in comparison with the annual RingCon (which takes place in October), a fact I thoroughly enjoyed since everyone at HC belonged to the same 'species' of fans and pretty much everything was focussed on The Hobbit.

There were so many events to choose from, up to six at the same time, and like I said, I should have liked to have a clone (or two) for attending the events I couldn't go to. Although there were numerous workshops (by Weta involving drawing and designing, by the DTG (the German Tolkien Society) about creating makeups for elves, orcs and ogres, about making Middle-earth jewellery, needlework, making liqueurs, learning calligraphy, especially Tengwar, about photoshop and light effects, about Hobbit dancing, how to fight and fall on stage without injuring oneself or anyone else; and lectures (mostly in German) on all kinds of Hobbit and Tolkien-related themes, and a quiz, and so on, I myself concentrated on the events involving those dear, sweet, talented, wonderful men (i.e., the actors), and that more than kept me busy.

Rosie and Laguz already talked about the panels so I won't add much except that it's funny that I had totally forgotten all the stuff involving the 'naughty dwarf calendar' (I suppose the nature of my mind is too serious to retain such frivolities Tongue --- just kidding, Laguz, but in comparison to your bubbly personality I am a staid old woman indeed!!). But then I've forgotten many of the things that were said in those panels, alas, and mostly remember the laughter, the ribbing the ones on stage gave their colleagues not actually on said stage but lurking behind the scenes or in the audience, to the latter's great delight, and involving themselves in the proceedings as well. It was all done in a friendly, teasing manner and showed that they really had bonded during their own journey, making the film. I think I laughed more in those three days than in the past three years! It really was madly, wonderfully entertaining, and for me the highlight of it all, with regard to laughter, was the Gameshow on Sunday afternoon, featuring Jed Brophy and Stephen Hunter as one team competing against Mark Hadlow and Dean O'Gorman as the other, the whole thing being directed by Mark Ferguson who acted as MC during the entire HobbitCon and who's the one person I really didn't like (for several reasons).

The panels were all of them very interesting since the actors are so different from each other and this showed in their individual panels and the panels they paired up for. While everyone enthused about Sylvester McCoy's panel on Saturday afternoon (following the Opening Ceremony), which was indeed quite hilarious (I gave his second one on Sunday afternoon a miss since I was a bit of a wreck by then and needed a rest), I also thoroughly enjoyed the quieter ones which provided a different kind of humour, and information, and a little insight into the respective actor's personality. Apart from S. McCoy's second panel, I only missed Adam Brown's solo panel on Sunday morning since the clock had been set forward that night to begin Daylight Savings Time (of all the nights of the year it had to be during HC!!! Mad) which lost hour had made me rather late for breakfast to begin with, and then my breakfast companion, a very sweet young girl in the guise of Bilbo Baggins) and I got into such an intense conversation that I would have caught only the second half of the panel anyway so I went up to my room and brushed my teeth instead. During the whole convention, people walked in and out of panels as they pleased, the door to the great auditorium was always open, so that wouldn't have been a problem but I rather loathe that sort of thing (being a bit of an all-or-nothing person).

Okay, time for another break --- those still with me wait for part three, please! I will continue tomorrow since I have to leave now, spending the nights at a friend's house since I managed to soak my bed, mattress and all, due to a leaking hot-water bottle the night before last, and will have to sleep somewhere else until my bed is habitable again Unsure).

(This post was edited by kiwifan on Apr 12 2013, 5:05pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 13 2013, 10:09pm

Post #30 of 36 (291 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the wonderful report! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like hearing impressions as much as the recounting of events, so I look forward to the rest when you can post it.

I've been to many, many TORN events and other LOTR/Hobbit-inspired activities and thoroughly enjoyed every one. There are times, when I think I don't have enough time or money to go, but every single time, I'm so glad that I made the effort. I'm so glad the actors were approachable and you all got a few minutes with them.

Akanarichan

Apr 17 2013, 4:28pm

Post #31 of 36 (314 views)
Shortcut
=) its was so awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what I should tell you, I think its all being said.
The weekend was fabulous, i meet some of the Dwarfs , Dean , Adam and Jed, it was funny.
On Saturday morning , breakfast time Jed stumbled a few stairs down in my way. I was glad that he not fall on me XD . He is so a funny gay and have a Lot of energy.

Adam is a type of gay how you always want to hug. soo cute. :P

Sunday was freaking awesome. its was the day of the Game show and when i meet die 3 dwarf, in de Bar. and i have a very very funny evening with , Kiwifan, Laguz and Autumn.

yeah on monday:
Kiwifan and i meet Mark and she talk to him, she scared me to dead. but she can tell ist by herself. even so, we have to say Laguz and Autumn good bye, I was said. we become friends in this few days. even so from Rosie-with-the-ribbons we said good bye.

Kiwifan and I Meet than later John Callen and talk to him. I call him Grandpa because i forget his name XP. yeah an She says than HIS Name is John ! we laugh.

And we talk to Peter, a very nice man. Kiwifan became from him a whisky (i think ) and i`m a coke. we sit altogether and talk a lot. ^^

yeah more a cant tell, because its being all said.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 18 2013, 2:43am

Post #32 of 36 (499 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fun being with fans, and the special people who made these wonderful movies. I met Peter in Wellington, and he's a charming man.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2013, 1:20am

Post #33 of 36 (224 views)
Shortcut
All of " Your Breathless..Stream-Of-Conscience--zz.. Writing"' really PUTS US there... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Thang youALL... in Behalf of your Vast Family of TORn!"
xoxoBomby

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 28 2013, 4:24pm

Post #34 of 36 (204 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

you didn't call him Grandpa to his face though, I mean you didn't actually say that to him. He was very nice to us, and so was Peter, and yes, Peter treated us to drinks which was awfully sweet (and caused me to spontaneously hug him, having by that time lost all traces of shyness. He didn't seem to mind so I guess that was okay). And I admit to having had a whisky (but it wasn't my idea!) which I shouldn't have because of all the medication I'm taking but it didn't affect me adversely, so that was all right, too.

Yes, that Sunday night was hilarious... you girls really made me feel as young as yourselves again, and twice as crazy!

kiwifan
Rohan

Apr 28 2013, 5:16pm

Post #35 of 36 (244 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon impressions, part three [In reply to] Can't Post

This next part in my tale is very late indeed, considering that this smashing event took place four weeks ago, but it is still very much on my mind, and as Akanarichan wrote about a couple of things concerning my adventures, I'd better elucidate... Oh, and shuttling back and forth across town for ten days between my flat and my friends' place where I spent the nights while my mattress was drying out didn't exactly give me the peace of mind I need for writing...

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, Easter Sunday morning. At the Opening Ceremony on Saturday afternoon it had been announced that there would be a special photo session on Sunday afternoon, giving people the chance to have their picture taken with all nine actors in a group. Now I really hate being photographed, being utterly unphotogenic, and had decided not to spend any money on photo sessions and autographs, and 100 euros (about 130 $ US) is a lot of money for just one group picture, but having met all these lovely, dear (see above) men in person, I just couldn't resist. It did require another half tablet of my anti-panic medication though, and I was still nervous about it but Rosie-with-the-ribbons, with whom I waited in line, was quite calm. In fact, Rosie possesses the most amazing equanimity, and I don't think that's due solely to her being quite a Con veteran. It really helped me having her there with me --- thanks again, Rosie! You're a rock! And your outfit was lovely!

As it turned out, I needn't have worried, as the entire thing only took about a minute, no time to feel concerned about looking sheepish, and after welcoming words and smiles from the assembled actors, and positioning myself in the centre, the photographer just said 'smile', the camera went 'click' and the next candidate was ushered in; quite like being processed on an assembly line, really. These poor guys, having to smile for an hour! And that's not counting the individual photo sessions. One can actually get sore facial muscles from smiling a lot (I know this from exprience, having once spent a week on a mini-job as a so-called door greeter in a bookshop in Kansas). Anyway, I survived the ordeal and the picture actually turned out quite well so I was happy. Smile

Having left this photo-session room, I met Akanarichan outside and we happened across Daniel Falconer and Paul Tobin who are truly kind and friendly guys and wrote lovely things in my Sibley book, and Daniel drew Treebeard for Aka. (Their presentation of Weta collectibles on Monday morning was fun, and all those lovely items just too tempting.)
Rosie, Aka and I went on to the DTG room (the German Tolkien Society) where one could take part in a quiz and where the actors showed up a little later to pose in front of the Hobbity background (forgot the motive it depicted) for a picture for the DTG (us mere mortals not being allowed to take photos of them there), clowning around and having fun, by the look of it, and consequently so did we, watching their antics. Wink

And since this photo-thing had been so gratifying and painless, I threw all financial caution to the winds and bought vouchers for autographs from all the actors, which I collected in their respective chapters of my Sibley book and which took quite some time since a lot of people had the same intention. While waiting in line and once finished with the autographs, I took quite a number of snapshots (except of Sylvester McCoy as we'd been warned by the HobbitCon staff that he wouldn't like it), most of which I had to delete as I was still too trembly (so much for the anti-panic medication's effect Unsure). I was so flown not with alcohol (which I hadn't had) but with sheer joy that I actually asked for and got a couple of hugs from two of said lovely etc. men --- blame it on Sylvester McCoy who had set a dangerous precedent concerning hugs in his panel the previous evening, as described by Rosie. I then carried my precious book up to my room and lay down on my bed to digest all these happenings, and also to have some food (bringing some of my own saved me standing in line for the buffet and sitting down or stand at a table, both of which is hard on my back). So I had a much-needed rest before the Game Show.

kiwifan
Rohan

May 20 2013, 5:29pm

Post #36 of 36 (472 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon impressions, part four [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't believe that several weeks have passed since my last instalment of this saga but things have been hectic, busy, painful (my feet have been killing me ever since doing a stall at a fleamarket on May 1st), but my memories are still very much present and giving me joy...

Where was I? Oh yes, Sunday afternoon just about to go downstairs for the Game Show. It would take way too much time to describe that event in detail. Dean O'Gorman had told me at the autograph session that he had no idea what was in store for him there, and that was quite obvious when he and the three other participants (Mark Hadlow, who paired up with D., and Stephen Hunter making up the second team with Jed Brophy) arrived on stage and were set different tasks by Mark Ferguson the MC. Although I still don't care much for the latter, he did a good job as Master of Ceremonies. The two teams had to use their improvisational skills, answer questions relating to Tolkien's Middle-earth, and tell stories with the other team having to determine whether the story in question was true or a lie --- utterly hilarious! Then Graham McTavish came on for his solo panel, and he, too, proved to be very charming and funny, and quite unlike Dwalin. Rosie and Laguz wrote about this, too, so I'll leave it at that.

This pretty much concluded the official programme for Sunday, and the rest of the evening was 'party in the Foyer' and a concert in the main auditorium by a band called 'Harpo Speaks!!). The girls and I met down in the Foyer and spent some time having drinks, chatting and enthusing over the day's events; Rosie retired fairly early but the rest of us remained there for several hours still. The DJ's choice of music got on my nerves after a while so I went to check out the band, and was most agreeably surprised. They did a lot of old songs but with a new interpretation, and then a rendition of Enya's 'May it be' (from FotR) which gave me goosebumps, it was that good. So I went back to find the others in order to tell them, and for a while they came, too, but the music then became too much classic rock and funky interpretations of same, and there I realised that being older than them by a generation really did make a difference. Anyway, we went back to the Foyer, got fresh drinks, and went a little crazy on the dance floor (I'll spare you the details Tongue), enjoying ourselves tremendously. Who says you can't have fun drinking only passionfruit juice?! It had been a really gloriously wonderful day and night, and I was still awake at 2.30 in the morning, making notes and trying to come back down to earth.

The next morning at breakfast I shared a table with an older woman who turned out to live in the same town I do, quite a coincidence. She was more interested in the German language events (and there were lots of those, too). I went to check out Daniel Falconer's and Paul Tobin's presentation on the Weta collectibles, then returned to my room to prepare the envelope for Mark Hadlow with the money I'd raised at a fleamarket last spring for Christchurch and which he was kindly taking back to NZ and to a bank there. Such a delightful man, is Mark! Made it back downstairs in time for the panel with Adam Brown and Jed Brophy which also was immensely entertaining. During this panel I did ask a question, namely would there be an audiocommentary done by the actors for the EE dvds since I imagined if the two of them were involved in that it would certainly be hilarious? Much cheering from the audience for my question, and even more cheering when Jed said that yes, there would be, and that they had already recorded some of it. Yay! Something else to look forward to! Then there were two more of these 'double' panels, first Graham McTavish with Mark Hadlow, which also was very funny, then John Callen with Peter Hambleton who talked a fair bit about the relationship between the brothers, and a bit of Gimli, and also mentioned the lack of proper distance between some member(s?) of the Dwarves and an Elf in film 2. Well, we shall see... Right afterwards there was the Closing Ceremony where some of the skills people had learned in various workshops offered throughout the weekend were now shown on the stage, very impressive, dancing and fighting and so on. The lady who had taught calligraphy (Tengwar, among other things) and given a lecture, then sang a song (in English) she had written for Gil-galad the king of the High Elves in the Second Age, very beautiful it was. All the artists, workshop teachers, and actors came on stage one by one, to say goodbye, 'our' actors saying how much they had enjoyed HobbitCon and us fans, and would come back if possible for another one. And delighted everyone by gathering round a microphone for a rendition of the Misty Mountains song, as already described by Rosie. What a lovely way to end the Closing Ceremony!

And then it was officially over --- a very bittersweet feeling! Immense gratitude and joy for having been privileged to be there, and sadness and a feeling almost of bereavement that this magical weekend was suddenly at an end. Well, not quite at an end for some of us staying over until next morning. I had still to give said envelope to Mark Hadlow, and when I did, he gave me a signed CD of his 'Tall Tales Classic Kid's Stories - with a Kiwi twist' (now 'my precious', one of my treasures!). I was so astonished that I feigned falling over backwards in a faint, which so alarmed Akanarichan who was with me at the time that she ended up accompanying me to my room after we'd said goodbye to Mark, and spending a couple of hours with me making sure I was alright and not about to collapse! Rosie had left quite soon after the Closing Ceremony, but Laguz and Autumn returned to the Maritim later that evening to meet up with us again and spend a last (and quiet, in comparison) evening with us in the bar. Then they departed, and just as Laguz had predicted, they had hardly been gone ten minutes when those of the actors who hadn't yet left returned from having dinner somewhere else. L. and A. had charged Aka and me with messages and farewell greetings for some of the actors so of course it was our bounden duty to do so Wink. That's how we came to end up talking first with John Callen and then with Peter Hambleton for quite a while until after midnight, I think --- can't decipher my notes). What a good day this, too, had been!

The next morning, Tuesday April 2nd, Aka and I met at breakfast and then she had to leave, and I had to pack, and quit the hotel by noon (just barely made it), still in a daze....

(better save post this before it vanishes)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.