Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Songs in the Hobbit

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2013, 10:18pm

Post #1 of 20 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Songs in the Hobbit Can't Post

I'm not sure about everyone else but I actually loved the songs they portrayed in the Hobbit from the chip the glasses, Misty mountain cold, to the Goblin Kings singing of goblin town. I think each was played perfectly in the film.

Chip the Glasses to me shows the fun side of the dwarfs and their love of good food and ale. Their good hearted nature and that they are a fun bunch. I esp loved when Thorin knocked on the door and the look on the dwarfs faces all got suddenly serious showing that Thorin is probably a stick in the mud who probably has not much of a sense of humor.

Misty Mountains Cold shows the very somber attitude of the quest ahead of them and gives Thorin some emotion and also shows the power he has over the dwarfs to a certain extent and the respect they have for him. It puts the weight of Thorins quest on our shoulders as we listen to the monk like tone of the song

Goblin Town Song to me anyways was almost as if the Great Goblin was mocking the dwarfs, it showed how smug and pompous he was. How untouchable he felt he was. I found it totally appropriate that he was singing in that scene. Like I said almost mocking dwarfs he felt were surely doomed. Feeling that he was adding insult to injury by singing about torturing them. Even before he knew it was Thorin Oakenshield.

The songs that were portrayed in the film were IMO played perfectly making me wonder how they deal with songs further into the films. I realize the elves are not the tra la lally elves from the book, but it would be nice to see a few more songs from the book placed in the appropriate places in the films. What does everyone else think?

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 17 2013, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 20 (522 views)
Shortcut
Agree about those songs – they were great [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy that mad Dame Edna Everage voice, and all the mannerisms of the Great Goblin. Misty Mountains Cold is beautiful and I wish it could have been longer. Blunt the Knives (or Chip the Glasses) was a great light-hearted contrast to this song, and I also love the 'He is here' moment...

I wish you hadn't reminded me about those tra-la-la Elves of the book.

I believe James Nesbitt said he was going to be singing in the next film, though not sure whether it will be with the other Dwarves or on his own.

Old Toby
Gondor

Apr 17 2013, 10:32pm

Post #3 of 20 (507 views)
Shortcut
We are on the same page here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I, too, loved all the songs, the Misty Mountains being my favorite. I think I recall some of the actors saying there would be more songs to come, and I hope to hear more from those dwarves. But of course, anything can happen before the films are actually released, so even though they may have recorded more songs, it doesn't mean they'll make it to the screen. Yeah, and I loved the Great Goblin's song too; that voice-cracking, slightly off-key singing was perfect. I wonder if we'll hear Bilbo sing in the end.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

GiantMushroomBear
Bree

Apr 18 2013, 12:52am

Post #4 of 20 (477 views)
Shortcut
Sinister likes something about The Hobbit.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...This should be a topic within itself Wink

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Apr 18 2013, 12:54am

Post #5 of 20 (449 views)
Shortcut
Loved the songs [In reply to] Can't Post

They really fit in well. Chip the Glasses showed the more lighthearted side of the dwarves, and sort of reminded me of a drinking/pub song. Misty Mountains was like a legend told in song, and Goblin Town was supposed to sound unpleasant and mock the dwarves. I liked how Humphries sang it, even though I don't think he is a good singer.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2013, 1:11am

Post #6 of 20 (457 views)
Shortcut
Never said there weren't things about the film I did not like [In reply to] Can't Post

I have said repeatedly that I like the first 45 minutes of the film. Tongue I found that part of the film very good and really entertaining. After that there were pieces that I found good, but those were when the film stuck to the book. Which once they left Baggend were far and few between. It may have been similar situations as the book but in the book they were not OTT scenarios, like in the film. there wasn't constant falling, nor riding on stone giants or falling thousands of feet unscathed just to have some big huge fat Goblin land on them. Some dead orc wasn't chasing them all over the darn country side wanting revenge for something that never happened anywhere in Tolkien's tales.

But yes I found a few things I liked about the film Wink

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 18 2013, 1:50am

Post #7 of 20 (429 views)
Shortcut
I love the music too [In reply to] Can't Post

Every bit of it. I have the extended CD and haven't stopped listening to it yet!

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Syzygy
The Shire

Apr 18 2013, 2:13am

Post #8 of 20 (450 views)
Shortcut
Gives me chills every time [In reply to] Can't Post

The Misty Mountains song... I love the humming harmonies and the deep voices of Thorin & Bofur, even if they aren't professionally trained singers that makes it all the more poignant and beautiful Heart

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Apr 18 2013, 5:28am

Post #9 of 20 (412 views)
Shortcut
Tom noddy [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish Pj could include Bilbo singing this song as he runs away, invisible and driving the spiders nuts lol.Sadly, i get the feeling it won't make it into DOS.Unsure

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Apr 18 2013, 5:33am)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Apr 18 2013, 6:23am

Post #10 of 20 (404 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - the music was perfection (at least on the soundtrack!) [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some things PJ gets so right....which makes it all the more depressing when he is so far off the mark in others.

But I too am looking forward to more songs and beautiful new themes from Howard Shore... Heart

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Avatar: Elwing by art-nouveau-club on DeviantArt

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 18 2013, 7:48am

Post #11 of 20 (377 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you about the songs... [In reply to] Can't Post

They got it just right. My favourite so far is 'Far over the Misty Mountains' but they're all good, and I was especially pleased about the goblin song, as that was the one I really didn't think they'd include. But they did, and made it work.

And yes, I hope there will be more songs in the next two films. I'm hoping we see something of the elf fires in Mirkwood, so how about elves singing around the fire? That'd be good. And maybe more verses of 'Misty Mountains' as the story unfolds. I'd like to see any of the songs from the book included, because they really do add to the character of that world and the sense that it has a life before and beyond the film.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Apr 18 2013, 8:27am

Post #12 of 20 (408 views)
Shortcut
The Mountain-King's Return [In reply to] Can't Post

I would very much like to hear some songs sung in Lake Town by the people celebrating (prematurely) the return of the King under the Mountain. Although those songs annoyed the Master, I would enjoy them very much.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Apr 18 2013, 9:47am

Post #13 of 20 (374 views)
Shortcut
More songs? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the songs they've done already and was really irritated by rude remarks from critics along the lines of: "I didn't know this was a musical/Held up the action completely/Very boring" etc etc. Before the film came out or we saw the relevant trailer, I wondered if they could get away with the Chip the Glasses song but it fitted in perfectly and was great fun. Misty Mountains was stunning and a star turn and BH did a marvellous job with his Goblin song: I really don't know why the man has not received more acclaim for his quirky and scary voicing of the Great Goblin.

So, will we get any more and, if so, which songs? Apart from Roads Go Ever On and On which I think we might get at the end, and possibly some jolly pub-style singing in Lake Town, my bet goes on Under the mountain dark and tall/The KIng has come unto his hall. Thorin has regained his halls and his treasure and after all the excitement and a bit of rolling in the gold, I think the moment merits a serious showstopper.

Some of the lyrics echo Misty Mountains but the rhythms are different and so it requires a different - though similarly epic - tune. We know that Bofur has a very good, deep voice and I reckon that he will lead the dwarves in a song of acclaim and triumph as Thorin finally gets to sit majestically on his throne.

Luinnár
Rivendell

Apr 18 2013, 12:06pm

Post #14 of 20 (331 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait for more! [In reply to] Can't Post

HeartHeartHeart

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Apr 18 2013, 2:11pm

Post #15 of 20 (292 views)
Shortcut
I LOVED all of the songs in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Misty Mountains song... I love the humming harmonies and the deep voices of Thorin & Bofur, even if they aren't professionally trained singers that makes it all the more poignant and beautiful Heart

All of the songs were absolutely wonderful. Smile Then the version that Neil Finn sings at the closing credits - of Misty Mountains - absolutely fantastic.Sly

Smeagol Bagginsess
Rivendell

Apr 19 2013, 5:42am

Post #16 of 20 (196 views)
Shortcut
All the movies have great songs. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's a big plus of the movies.

Gandalf's "road goes ever.." - sets the light-hearted tone of the Shire.
Pip's song- It's a masterpiece! The words and the charge scenes were matched so well that I was on the verge of tears the first time I saw the scene!
Aragorn's song - I felt the song was unnecessary. But Viggo has a great voice!

Blunt the Knives - I love the song! Especially when they all start to throw the plates! It shows how unified all the dwarves are in their mindset. And how skillfull they are even in the craft of dishwashing!

Misty-mountains - This was close to a masterpiece. The song was very cool no doubt. But I think there should have been matching glimpses of mountains and a dragon or so forth, much like Pip's song. There was the fire from the chimney but it doesn't say much.
The dwarves getting up one by one was a fine gesture. And Bilbo listening intently. But imo, there should have been a few scenes related to the quest. But overall, the song was wonderful!

Goblin-Town - Again, a great song! I love Barry's style of mocking-singing! I love almost everything about the Goblin-King!

As for the next movies, I wish PJ gives the elves a few happy songs. PJ's portrayal of the Elves have largely been inaccurate, imo. They are shown always, as grim and dark. And wearied by their life. I agree there's some elements from the book, but Tolkien's Elves did not have a "oh man, I'm sick of this life. Let's leave quickly" attitude always.

Seeing TH is much earlier than LOTR, I see the Elves can be made to sing some happy songs. If there are no Elven-songs in TH beside Trala, then I wish he takes a few from LOTR. In short, I want the Elves to sing a joyous song!!! (Oh, and I loved a happy Elrond in TH. He's always so sad in LOTR that it breaks my heart.)

I am the Grandson of Samwise Gamgee. My grandpa loved Frodo uncle and Frodo uncle loved his pet, Smeagol. So I am named Smeagol Bagginsess! Ain't I cute?

Rostron2
Gondor

Apr 19 2013, 6:03pm

Post #17 of 20 (132 views)
Shortcut
They were all great [In reply to] Can't Post

Chips the Glasses was just amazing. Perfectly captured what they were doing to poor Mr. Baggins.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2013, 7:12pm

Post #18 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
JRRT was never given enough Credit for his Songs?... [In reply to] Can't Post

But we know better...

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Apr 19 2013, 7:14pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Apr 21 2013, 3:04am

Post #19 of 20 (74 views)
Shortcut
They were all great. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have made me super mad if the goblin kings song was played out as a whole musical number, even to the extent of chip the glasses. That would have been cheesy. But they didn't, and it was more of a, I'm humming to myself, and kind of chanting moment, and for fans to recognize. Chipped the glasses was great, and showed the light hearted side of the dwarves (other than thorin) and the winner Is definitley misty mountains cold. I know several people who love the theme, not just the song, including myself. It is one of my favourite soundtracks of all the movies. I actually listened to the song just this night, and I love it, and always will.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 25 2013, 8:06am

Post #20 of 20 (43 views)
Shortcut
You and me both! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure about everyone else but I actually loved the songs they portrayed in the Hobbit from the chip the glasses, Misty mountain cold, to the Goblin Kings singing of goblin town. I think each was played perfectly in the film. [..] I realize the elves are not the tra la lally elves from the book, but it would be nice to see a few more songs from the book placed in the appropriate places in the films. What does everyone else think?

I found the songs to be the most Tolkienesque thing about the movie, so the more songs from the Hobbit and LotR books are included in DoS and TaBA, the better. I loved the three that you mentioned.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.